Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best State Schools in Townsville

Best State Schools in Townsville

Old May 16th 2008, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice
Default Best State Schools in Townsville

Hi,

Hubby as recently been offered a job and we'll be coming on a regional 457, not sure how long this takes

But in the meantime could anyone recommend any state schools in Townsville for 10, 11 and 14 year old kids.

Any advice appreciated
Old May 16th 2008, 6:14 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all
Default Re: Best State Schools in Townsville

I spent a day at each of the following schools last August on Work Experience:
- Townsville State High School
- Kirwan State High School

Both seem to get mixed 'reviews', but although I was only there for one day I must say I generally liked what I saw in both.

There was a similar question asked a while back:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483405

These don't really answer your question, but may be of help when doing your research:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442782
(useful thread about townsville and its different suburbs)

http://education.qld.gov.au/directory/phone/index.html
(just hit search without entering anything for a full list)

and the following attachments:
Attached Files
Old May 17th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
I spent a day at each of the following schools last August on Work Experience:
- Townsville State High School
- Kirwan State High School

Both seem to get mixed 'reviews', but although I was only there for one day I must say I generally liked what I saw in both.

There was a similar question asked a while back:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483405

These don't really answer your question, but may be of help when doing your research:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442782
(useful thread about townsville and its different suburbs)

http://education.qld.gov.au/directory/phone/index.html
(just hit search without entering anything for a full list)

and the following attachments:
Hi Simon and Kate,

Thanks for all the info you have given me. Should keep me quiet for a while scouring through it all well maybe not too quiet

I see you are a teacher, do you think my 14 year old son would have any probs settling into schools there? It's the only thing that worries me really as he's doing so well at his school in the UK (in top sets for everything, and frequently getting awards)? I don't know why but I don't worry that my 10 and 11 year olds will settle, maybe because they are younger! Would appreciate your thoughts on this one.

How long have you been in Townsville now and are you enjoying it?
Old May 17th 2008, 8:17 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn-D
Hi Simon and Kate,

Thanks for all the info you have given me. Should keep me quiet for a while scouring through it all well maybe not too quiet

I see you are a teacher, do you think my 14 year old son would have any probs settling into schools there? It's the only thing that worries me really as he's doing so well at his school in the UK (in top sets for everything, and frequently getting awards)? I don't know why but I don't worry that my 10 and 11 year olds will settle, maybe because they are younger! Would appreciate your thoughts on this one.

How long have you been in Townsville now and are you enjoying it?
Hi Dawn

My son was also getting awards and in top sets for everything in the UK and has now settled very happily at Kirwan High School in their academic top scholar excellence programme, they also have excellence programmes for sport and music. Pimlico High is known as an academic school but does have a strict catchment area. It really depends on where you're working and living to be honest as to where the kids will end up.

We love Townsville, have been here nearly 2 years and have no plans to leave.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

MORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Dawn,

Just came across your thread, we too are moving to Townsville sometime in August and have a 10 year old girl. We are looking at primary school in Cranbrook area for her. When are you planning on moving to Townsville?
Liz
Old Jun 17th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The A Team
Hi Dawn

My son was also getting awards and in top sets for everything in the UK and has now settled very happily at Kirwan High School in their academic top scholar excellence programme, they also have excellence programmes for sport and music. Pimlico High is known as an academic school but does have a strict catchment area. It really depends on where you're working and living to be honest as to where the kids will end up.

We love Townsville, have been here nearly 2 years and have no plans to leave.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me, sorry didn't reply earlier, upto my eyes in it. Been sorting out xrays, meds, painting the house and finally got it on the market today!!

So regarding schools, do you have to be in the catchment area for all of them or is it just certain schools like the Pimlico one you mention you have to be in the catchment area for?

I have been looking at the Kirwan school on the internet and it does look good. By the way, how old is your son? My eldest is 14!

With regards to where we live, we could in theory choose anywhere as hubby will be working away so I've been looking at rentals on the internet and Kirwan was an area we were looking at. Is there a catchment for Kirwan School and does it run around all of Kirwan do you know?

I've also looked at the Kirwan Primary School for my other two which I read does have a catchment area. Do you know anything about this school please?

Any info would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MORCPOM1
Hi Dawn,

Just came across your thread, we too are moving to Townsville sometime in August and have a 10 year old girl. We are looking at primary school in Cranbrook area for her. When are you planning on moving to Townsville?
Liz
Hi Liz,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

We also have a 10 year old girl but not sure which school she will be going to yet. From what I understand you have to be in a catchment area.

Are you planning to move to Cranbrook if this is the area you are looking at schools?

We hope to be out as soon as we can sell our house and have the visa tied up. The latter being a minor problem as our xrays have been done, just waiting for the final medical for my 11 year old to be done on Saturday.

The house went on the market today so fingers crossed.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on with schools etc.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

SEanll is an unknown quantity at this point

What about a trade, Your son maybe able to go to Regional Queenslands only Technical College.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SEanll
What about a trade, Your son maybe able to go to Regional Queenslands only Technical College.
Hi

My son has already been working towards becoming a sports journalist doing work experience here in the UK in his school holidays.

His plans are to hopefully go to university so I've looked up JCU which does have a journalism course

Dawn