Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best remedies for Mosquito Bites

Best remedies for Mosquito Bites

Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dotty
Its very dense rainforest, you would not believe its 1 klm from buderim, a narrow creek runs down the side of the house. In winter (no snakes) we follow it down and there are hundreds of rare palms, rock pools, waterfalls, its stunning. In storms its about 5 foot deep.

Anyhow we have a dog, who comes in and out when its hot, he leans on the fly screen, and get out himself, however hes strictly one way and does not re close it. Unless the airconditioning has been running (that kills them) we get quite a few in.

Its just a place anyone would love but the price is wildlife. Cicadas are the problem at the moment, just as the news comes on they drown out the sound of the TV.
That explains everything
I used to get Cicadas down in Sydney, but we don't have any up here. Its making me realise how lucky I am to be in the spot we are.

Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a ice block until the itchiness has gone then apply tea tree oil "stinks to high heaven but works well" We are now wiser after being here for nearly a year and spray ourselves with Aeroguard tropical strength when going out after dusk.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

My husband grew up in South Africa and swears by vinegar to treat them and says that smokers attract mossies - something to do with the amount of carbon dioxide you create when you smoke!

I've used aloe vera - straight from the plant - to treat them and it works really well, the only downside is that it leaves dark brown patches on your legs 'til you wash it off. Perhaps you could rub it all over and go for the Brazilian tanned look!
Old Jan 11th 2004, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

Nothing to do with mosquito remedies but an amusing tirck to try which we used to do back in South Africa: when a mosquito lands on your arm and gets stuck in; clench your fist and tighten your forearm muscles for a while, then watch as mozzie struggles to get out - priceless!

BTW: It doesn't always work.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Try Eurax cream to stop itching. It was first recommended to me in Perth about 15 years ago and we take it with us all over the world. The other thing I've found recently is this little clicker thing that you place on the skin and press the button. It generates a tiny spark on the skin surface and you do it 5 or 6 times per bite and it actually works. Has the advantage of being portable, unsmelly and re-useable as often as you need. I can look up more info if you're interested.

I am so susceptible to bites I have had people stop to look at my blotchy arms and legs on the beach.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jirrupin
A bug search gets completed every night, the house we are in has been professionally sprayed and we regularly spray the gap at the bottom of the exterior doors, plugholes in the floor etc, usually chris is out fiddling in the van and gets eaten alive despite my attempt to spray him with Autan!! and then we have to spray the house with spray to kill the intruders.

Chris keeps telling me its lifestyle but at the moment he is poaching himself in the pool whilst I am sat indoors under a fan trying to keep cool and sport is on all three of the channels we receive, hence why I am on here

Hello there,

Is this the same house I am to be renting in March:scared:

Oh well I suppose its all part of the adventure - bug hunting will be the substitute past time of Hubby instead of the TV.

If I stock up on over the counter medications in the UK am I allowed to bring them into WA??? What if something is OTC here but prescription only there - is that going to cause a problem at customs???

Thanks for the help
Adele
Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:27 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lesleys
Try Eurax cream to stop itching. It was first recommended to me in Perth about 15 years ago and we take it with us all over the world. The other thing I've found recently is this little clicker thing that you place on the skin and press the button. It generates a tiny spark on the skin surface and you do it 5 or 6 times per bite and it actually works. Has the advantage of being portable, unsmelly and re-useable as often as you need. I can look up more info if you're interested.

I am so susceptible to bites I have had people stop to look at my blotchy arms and legs on the beach.
Thanks for the suggestions I will investigate these and other suggestions at the shops tomorrow. I do have a little clicker to (I came prepared ) but I hadn't though it was very effective. But as I am going to try to get some sleep now I will zap my bite marks before I turn in and hopefully the itching will ease. I am sure its made worse my the humidity.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:28 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by shedu
Hello there,

Is this the same house I am to be renting in March:scared:

Oh well I suppose its all part of the adventure - bug hunting will be the substitute past time of Hubby instead of the TV.

If I stock up on over the counter medications in the UK am I allowed to bring them into WA??? What if something is OTC here but prescription only there - is that going to cause a problem at customs???

Thanks for the help
Adele
Yes but we would have killed off most of the bug population of east perth before we leave.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 9:36 pm
ABCDiamond

The experts have come up with a way to completely eliminate mosquitos of the face of the planet.

Unfortunately they are concerned about the side effects ... of the food chain....

Fish eat mozzies, we eat fish. etc etc

Old Jan 11th 2004, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Don't know how effective it is but some travel expert on the box recommends rubbing the bite with a slice of lemon.....natural antiseptic and astringent.

If nowt else you'll smell good enough to eat
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:52 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Try Telfast, its a tablet rather than cream.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

I too suffer from bites and they have been so bad lately that I've been literally scratching the skin off my body until it bleeds! :scared:

We were told by an estate agent to take vitamin B complex as this keeps the mozzies away. Also I have now since found that putting an ice cube directly over the bite for about a minute (until it becomes uncomfortable) really does dispel the itch for a couple of hours. I think I'll try the slice of lemon remedy after applying the ice and see if this completely eliminates the itch.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 12:26 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by PADDAD
I too suffer from bites and they have been so bad lately that I've been literally scratching the skin off my body until it bleeds! :scared:

We were told by an estate agent to take vitamin B complex as this keeps the mozzies away. Also I have now since found that putting an ice cube directly over the bite for about a minute (until it becomes uncomfortable) really does dispel the itch for a couple of hours. I think I'll try the slice of lemon remedy after applying the ice and see if this completely eliminates the itch.
Poor you, I haven't succumbed to actually scratching, this morning I used the clicker (it gives you a small electric current) and at the moment I am itch free. But the worst bite is now in day three and I would expect it to subside anyway. But they are grotesque bite marks and some of mine seem to get quite big.

Their are lots of remedies suggested in this thread. We have bought a mosquito net for the van ($6 from SA family centre) and are looking to fit netting over the side and back door openings. I could well be living in the mosquito net I wonder if I would get funny looks walking out with it draped over me.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:57 am
Just Joined

shatzkosthename is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking bwaaaaaaahahahhahahahaha

Originally posted by kulu
Nothing to do with mosquito remedies but an amusing tirck to try which we used to do back in South Africa: when a mosquito lands on your arm and gets stuck in; clench your fist and tighten your forearm muscles for a while, then watch as mozzie struggles to get out - priceless!

BTW: It doesn't always work.
We used to use Avon products, it works for a while but wears off quickly, and then the word came out that it was useless. bwaaaaaahahahhahah... tea tree oil really smarts when you have a sunburn, or an open cut. I like the one where you tighten your muscles, first they have to land on a muscle. then you have to be able to hold out.
another thing for skeeters is :'dont wear anything blue", and sterilize yourself beside a tv screen for a few min. try it.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 1:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jayr
Try Telfast, its a tablet rather than cream.
Originally posted by dotty
Ask your pharmacist about this stuff. Claratyne, its an over the counter antihistamine liquid or pills. I had it for an allergy (plant rash from the garden we think) however it worked on the mozzie bites too. Its also non drowsy and one tablet is a 24 hour dose.
Both Telfast & Claratyne are for Hayfever. My wife uses one or the other all the time, and doesn't get bitten by Mozzies. I now wonder why !!
Originally posted by PADDAD
We were told by an estate agent to take vitamin B complex as this keeps the mozzies away.
I take Vitamin B each day, (when I remember), and rarely get bitten. I've been told they don't like blood with too much Vit B in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.