Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Recruitment Agent

Best Recruitment Agent

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice
Default Re: Best Recruitment Agent

Originally Posted by Paul & June
I agree, Hays are one of the good ones, thats why I used them, but the young individual I had, talked solid non stop for an hour and I came away no better off.
The guy I was dealing with had actually understood the client's requirements. He also did a lot of reasearch for me to help with understnding the environment of the job so made a big difference for both myself and the interviewers at that stage. Mind you, that was the first time I had been interviewed whilst sitting in bed, drinking coffee and having a cat asleep on my lap!!!! (all 2 hours of it)
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Best Recruitment Agent

Originally Posted by MarkMC
None of them are "the best" they are all money grabbing, lying, #ankers. They do not give a monkeys about the orker, all they care about is keeping the company happy and getting more work from them.
Righto, well thanks for that objective and well reasoned advice.

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

None of them are "the best" they are all money grabbing, lying, #ankers. They do not give a monkeys about the orker, all they care about is keeping the company happy and getting more work from them.
Following your thought out and articulate response, have you ever considered that the agencies may want to work with you. Perhaps it is your attituide which makes them act the way thay appear to do to you.

Today you are a candidate but tomorrow you may well be the hirer. In this case, keeping you happy is as important as keeping "the Company", which, incidentally is not the body corporate but a group of individuals where the agency will have contact with just a few people, happy.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorutland
Following your thought out and articulate response, have you ever considered that the agencies may want to work with you. Perhaps it is your attituide which makes them act the way thay appear to do to you.

Today you are a candidate but tomorrow you may well be the hirer. I do agree with this In this case, keeping you happy is as important as keeping "the Company", which, incidentally is not the body corporate but a group of individuals where the agency will have contact with just a few people, happy.
True
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gogirl
Typical phonecall:

You - can I please speak to Jenny Smith (or whoever).

Them - Sure, can I tell her who is calling and what it is in connection with?

You - Yes it is Susan Jones reference a job I saw advertised on Seek.com.

Them - Oh sorry Jenny is with a client at the moment, can I get your number and she will call you back........

For me it goes a little something like this:-

Agency posts a bogus job on Seek.

Loads of people apply.

Agency calls you and tells you you're a great fit and they want to put you forwards but they need to do reference checks.

Agency calls references. "I understand you used to be Johnie's manager. He has applied for a bogus job, sorry job, through us. Tell me about Johnie, was he any good?"

Reference starts talking about me..

Agency interrupts, "ok thank you very much, by the way are you looking for any one yourself?"

Referee replies "no not at the moment". A little perplexed as to why he couldn't finish the reference check.

Agency, "That's great, how about you give me your fax number anyone so I can forward you a couple of hundred CVs anyway?"
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
For me it goes a little something like this:-

Agency posts a bogus job on Seek.

Loads of people apply.

Agency calls you and tells you you're a great fit and they want to put you forwards but they need to do reference checks.

Agency calls references. "I understand you used to be Johnie's manager. He has applied for a bogus job, sorry job, through us. Tell me about Johnie, was he any good?"

Reference starts talking about me..

Agency interrupts, "ok thank you very much, by the way are you looking for any one yourself?"

Referee replies "no not at the moment". A little perplexed as to why he couldn't finish the reference check.

Agency, "That's great, how about you give me your fax number anyone so I can forward you a couple of hundred CVs anyway?"
I think not. I used to do reference checks for the agency where I worked.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

M_IT_and_F_Nurse-26yrOld is an unknown quantity at this point

i agree mate... 100%
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

All recruitment agencies are run by sales people. They often have very little knowledge of the expertise that you have and yet they treat you like sh1t.
Smile at the agents and try to be nice to them. Use them to your advantage, as they use you: It as a means to an end.

Glorified used car salesmen (mostly)

PS There are always exceptions: but they are rare.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think not. I used to do reference checks for the agency where I worked.
Direct copies of ads from foreign job websites just doing an find and replace for Washington DC for Sydney.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1124414.html
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:15 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite piece of revenge on the Recruitment Agencies was when I applied for the job I currently have.

I accidentally applied for the same job through two different agencies.
One agency replied and got me in for an interview and it wasn't until I received a reply from another agency that I realised I had applied for it twice. Anyway, the second agency responded with a "Thanks but no thanks, your skills do not suit this position" type bs response.

When I went for the interview with the company they told me there and then that I was the most experienced and most qualified person to have applied for this job in the 3 months that they had been advertising.

Once I got the job I replied to the recruitment consultant with a very smug email stating that maybe next time he should take more care in reviewing CVs before rejecting people as they had just lost out on a placement! Naturally he replied by stating that the reponse was sent to me by mistake.
TW@T!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

What a coincidence I have had the same experiences with them

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
Is there any website that name and shame recruitment agencies?

I don't have a pleasant experience with them, mainly talk and promise more than they can delivered.

Sometimes, I ask myself whether the positions they advertised really exist, or is it just a show.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

There is a particular (fairly well known) agency in Leeds that I and other people I know have been to and when we ask about a particular job advertised in the window we have all had the exact same response, "I am so sorry that position has just this minute been filled, so and so has not had the chance to take the sign down" and we go back a few days later and the same jobs is till there.

oh and it is a coincidence that the jobs in the window seem the same "neutral" type jobs that are advertised all the time.

Oh and the never call back but waste our time having us do computer tests, fill out forms have an "interview"..........oh and when they do bother to contact it is for a job that is in no way suitable.............oh and call me a year after I have a job to say I hear you are looking for work............I have more but I won't bore you all

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
My favourite piece of revenge on the Recruitment Agencies was when I applied for the job I currently have.

I accidentally applied for the same job through two different agencies.
One agency replied and got me in for an interview and it wasn't until I received a reply from another agency that I realised I had applied for it twice. Anyway, the second agency responded with a "Thanks but no thanks, your skills do not suit this position" type bs response.

When I went for the interview with the company they told me there and then that I was the most experienced and most qualified person to have applied for this job in the 3 months that they had been advertising.

Once I got the job I replied to the recruitment consultant with a very smug email stating that maybe next time he should take more care in reviewing CVs before rejecting people as they had just lost out on a placement! Naturally he replied by stating that the reponse was sent to me by mistake.
TW@T!