British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Best Recruitment Agent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/best-recruitment-agent-591443/)

letusenjoy79 Feb 14th 2009 4:44 pm

Best Recruitment Agent

HI,
Which recruitment agent in your view has been the best and why?????:)

RCoight Feb 14th 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Best Recruitment Agent

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79 (Post 7285079)
HI,

How do you define 'best'?
What industry are you in?
Where are you looking to move to?
What are your skills?

MarkMC Feb 14th 2009 9:55 pm

HI,

None of them are "the best" they are all money grabbing, lying, #ankers. They do not give a monkeys about the orker, all they care about is keeping the company happy and getting more work from them.

BAY Feb 14th 2009 11:00 pm

Its more a case of seeking an advertised job ( I use www.seek.com.au) and applying for it. You then go with whatever job agency has advertised it.

In my experience (both in Oz and UK) agencies are only interested in you if you are applying/enquiring about a specific job. Thats how they make their money, by you getting the job and then charging the company something like 30% of whatever they are paying you. If you send your CV to an agency without regard to a specific job then you unlikely to here back from them.

steve_and_gill Feb 15th 2009 2:12 am

Is a dead one?

Sorry - had to crack it.

They all seem much of a muchness to me so far, for specific jobs they seem to have an attention span, after that not much.

Of the interviews I've had none have been through a recruitment agent.

I was applying into defence and their domain knowledge was non-existent, don't know the different clearance levels, don't know the classification levels of the info, don't know the jargon.

Most of the recruiter adverts are difficult to apply to as they lack enough detail to really go for it. You can't research the company to make a better app.

So, if you can avoid them do.

gogirl Feb 15th 2009 4:57 am

I totally agree that recruitment agencies are a waste of space. They entice you in with their lengthy ads on Seek and Career One, then keep you hanging on for days and weeks. The recruiter will not speak to you direct if you call reference a particular job, they get a receptionist to tell you they are with a client!!!!!!

Typical phonecall:

You - can I please speak to Jenny Smith (or whoever).

Them - Sure, can I tell her who is calling and what it is in connection with?

You - Yes it is Susan Jones reference a job I saw advertised on Seek.com.

Them - Oh sorry Jenny is with a client at the moment, can I get your number and she will call you back........

Flipping infuriating!!!!:curse:

If there are any bright spark entrepeneurs out there looking for a new business venture in Brisbane, then open a recruitment agency that deals with ex-pats and promises to:

Only place genuine ads for genuine jobs.

Answer your phonecalls with empathy and understanding.

Give you a realistic and non bias view of your CV - even offer to re-word the CV for a small fee if you must.

Call you back if unable to speak right away.

Give honest timelines for that particular job application process, so that you are not waiting for the phone to ring for days on end.

Keep in touch with you if another similar job comes up in your line of work.

Do not tut at you because you are a mother/father and looking for part time hours.

My favourites

Do not waste job seekers time and effort by advertising jobs that are to be filled by the particular company internally but have to be publicised as per the law.

Do not give some gibbersih about not being able to apply for that job because you "must live locally". What is all that about? It is only an admin job - not Chairman of MI5!

I am sure there are a heap of other promises that the perfect agency can make, all it needs is someone to take it on.:thumbsup:

letusenjoy79 Feb 15th 2009 6:52 am

Originally Posted by RCoight (Post 7285659)
How do you define 'best'?
The one which can give you best results I mean nice paying Job
What industry are you in?
I am a Civil(Environment) Engineer

Where are you looking to move to?
Sydney/Melbourne
What are your skills?

Nearly having 3 years experience as Civil Engineer and 15 years as an Environmental Engineer
I hope you got your answers:)

Notts_bloke Feb 15th 2009 7:18 am

Originally Posted by MarkMC (Post 7285669)
None of them are "the best" they are all money grabbing, lying, #ankers. They do not give a monkeys about the orker, all they care about is keeping the company happy and getting more work from them.

You have met every single one of them then?

MarkMC Feb 15th 2009 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke (Post 7286415)
You have met every single one of them then?

Yep:p

letusenjoy79 Feb 15th 2009 11:20 am

Originally Posted by MarkMC (Post 7286430)
Yep:p

So you managed to find a job by yourself MarkMC, wasn't it a bit cumbersome initially in a new country for the migrants:unsure:

kaungchiau Feb 20th 2009 2:50 pm

Is there any website that name and shame recruitment agencies?

I don't have a pleasant experience with them, mainly talk and promise more than they can delivered.

Sometimes, I ask myself whether the positions they advertised really exist, or is it just a show.

Pearl&Wal Feb 20th 2009 9:54 pm

There's work for Civil Engineers on the Sunshine Coast.

Spoke to a company yesterday about it.

lonndongeek Feb 21st 2009 12:02 am

HI,

They're all crap.

Before I arrived in Adelaide, I looked into companies in the area that operated in my field and sent my CV off to them with customised covering letters. Ended up being offered a job in March '07 that was held for me until we arrived in August.

I suspect that things won't be quite so easy at the moment.

Cheers

Steve

krazys back Feb 21st 2009 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMC (Post 7285669)

Posters have pretty much summed up the general ethic behind recruitment agencies. I worked in that industry for 5 years and hated nearly every minute of it as it is a sales industry, its not a service industry with 'nearly' everyone in it for themselves and for the little bit of money I saw in it.

Ironic as it is (and its a bitch for me) if I would have stuck with it I could have been in Oz by now! Then again, I'd be hated more that most traffic wardens!!!:p

silentwalker Feb 22nd 2009 8:36 am

Originally Posted by steve_and_gill (Post 7286066)

Most of the recruiter adverts are difficult to apply to as they lack enough detail to really go for it. You can't research the company to make a better app.

I couldn't agree more. Its really difficult to choose a job only based on the job description. There is always this hush hush about the company. When they finally tell the name of the company, they request you not to disclose it to other agents. Whats up with that?

And then the next thing you know, they will ask you what other positions I have already applied in!

I find the whole process pretty weird and hope there were a way to avoid all this.