Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best price/service for a 40ft container?

Best price/service for a 40ft container?

Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:23 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Best price/service for a 40ft container?

We're going from Cambridge (UK that is, not MA) to Melbourne - taking contents of a 4bed/3bath house (getting rid of loads of junk, but I gotta take my zillions of pairs of *shoes* & my *books* - hence the container size ). Been quoted 7150GBP + 4.2% of value (yikes) insurance for 40ft container (that's Crown).

Am about to get some other shippers in (probably PSS & Pickfords) but wonder what our readers here can recommend - who are the Good Guys out there in the shipping world? (i.e. good price, but also trustworthy & didn't lose your container or smash up *too* much of your nice china on the High Seas).

Thanks, folks!

Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; Apr 7th 2004 at 5:28 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:53 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure you will find cheaper than that Anya, or is it Imelda Marcos ??
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point

John mason seem to come in well....
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best price/service for a 40ft container?

crown may well be havin a laff, we were quoted £4600 for a 40' container not exceeding 1500sq' by PSS. dont think we quite filled it but still quite a difference. thats rochdale to melbourne.

andy
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by anya4oz
We're going from Cambridge (UK that is, not MA) to Melbourne - taking contents of a 4bed/3bath house (getting rid of loads of junk, but I gotta take my zillions of pairs of *shoes* & my *books* - hence the container size ). Been quoted 7150GBP + 4.2% of value (yikes) insurance for 40ft container (that's Crown).

Am about to get some other shippers in (probably PSS & Pickfords) but wonder what our readers here can recommend - who are the Good Guys out there in the shipping world? (i.e. good price, but also trustworthy & didn't lose your container or smash up *too* much of your nice china on the High Seas).

Thanks, folks!

Anya.

4.2% is mad for insurance I thot 3% was bad
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Crown quoted us £6,554 for 1700 cubic feet, sole use of
a 40 foot container, to Brisbane. I have had 3 others in and 1
more next week, but haven't had the official quotes yet.

I liked Crown, but the price seems steep, so once I have the
other quotes in I'm going to be doing some haggling.

I'll keep you posted.

Karen

Thanks, folks!

Anya.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:43 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

*@£$** Anya - what are you taking? The whole house, foundations and all???

We're taking ten boxes. She says, with no idea what ten boxes will realistically hold.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 9:22 pm
Tasmanian Devils

Chris Bailey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pss removals

Hi there,

We are moving to Hobart, Tasmania in July and we are having a 40ft container for our sole use and have been quoted 5449.00 by PSS, they were the cheapest quote by far, we were pleased with the guy that assessed us and so far have no complaints about their services, from what ive heard they have an excellent reputation.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old Apr 8th 2004, 11:13 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, folks!

Anya.
Get your own insurance

http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/contact.html - costing us £439.00 for contents of 40ft.

We are using Armishaws and it's £4750 for a 40ft.

Old Apr 9th 2004, 6:48 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by bundy
*@£$** Anya - what are you taking? The whole house, foundations and all???
Nah, it's all those shoes, mate

We're taking ten boxes. She says, with no idea what ten boxes will realistically hold.
Not many pairs of shoes, I suspect

Anya.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 6:51 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Default Thanks!

Thanks for replies with costs everyone - have printed them off so I can get in some of those other guys to quote.

Cheers & have good Holiday Weekends, all!

Anya.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 8:07 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, it's all those shoes, mate

Not many pairs of shoes, I suspect

Anya.

I have very few pairs of shoes Anya. In fact, I don't have many clothes either. I travel light in this world And I hate shopping. I know, I know, not a proper girl. I hate chocolate too. I'm just making it worse, aren't I???!!!!

It won't be ten boxes, I know this. But it won't be many more. Most of my belongings would fit into about 3 boxes (except my books, which will take up a few). It's Mr B that's the problem. He's a hoarder.
Old Apr 13th 2004, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andy Thomas

Were also in Rochdale. but not for long

Steph