Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Price Containers

Best Price Containers

Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:42 am
Chocolatemonstersdad

Smile Best Price Containers

I spent most of this week inviting shipping companies/agents to give me their best prices and suddenly had a thought:-

There must be loads of families going to Oz from the UK in the next 12months or so - what buying power!!!

Is there anybody out there wanting a 20/40 ft container (door-to-door) in the next 12 months who would like to join together to get the best service at the best possible price?

PM me with an expression of interest as well as a post on this thread, if enough people reply then i shall see if we can achieve a contract / bulk price with a shipper / removal company.

Nothing ventured nothing gained!!

Chris

Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:27 pm
Living the dream at last!

Gremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best Price Containers

Originally Posted by Chocolatemonstersdad
I spent most of this week inviting shipping companies/agents to give me their best prices and suddenly had a thought:-

There must be loads of families going to Oz from the UK in the next 12months or so - what buying power!!!

Is there anybody out there wanting a 20/40 ft container (door-to-door) in the next 12 months who would like to join together to get the best service at the best possible price?

PM me with an expression of interest as well as a post on this thread, if enough people reply then i shall see if we can achieve a contract / bulk price with a shipper / removal company.

Nothing ventured nothing gained!!

Chris
Hi Chris
I was just doing a search of the forum for recommended companies when I came across your thread.
Who have you had round for quotes and what were your impressions? We're heading to Brisbane (Gold Coast) in the summer (early August hopefully) as long as the house is sold by then. Not taking huge amounts with us so it should go easily into a 20ft. Whereabouts are you headed yourself?
Graham
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

bluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gremlin
Hi Chris
I was just doing a search of the forum for recommended companies when I came across your thread.
Who have you had round for quotes and what were your impressions? We're heading to Brisbane (Gold Coast) in the summer (early August hopefully) as long as the house is sold by then. Not taking huge amounts with us so it should go easily into a 20ft. Whereabouts are you headed yourself?
Graham
We will willingly give you a competitive quotation for either Self Pack or Expert Packing of Container.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Hi Graham, Best quote I got was from PSS. The most expensive was £4350 from Crown for a 20` to Brisbane and the best was £3500 from Hampshire to Brisbane all packed and unloaded by PSS at the other end. Good Luck, Mick
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:31 pm
Chocolatemonstersdad

Hi Chris
Graham
Hi Graham
We are off to Brisbane as well on 457 visa and taking enough for a 20ft container best price so far £3.3K door 2 door. I have had so many differing quotes and the fact that I am a salesman leads me to believe that these prices are all about mark up and commissions. I am sure that the price can be lowered. Half the reason we are leaving is about getting away from rip off britain guess I dont want to be ripped off getting there.
Chris

Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenico
We will willingly give you a competitive quotation for either Self Pack or Expert Packing of Container.
And so far I have to say I'm very impressed. Quick quotes, turned up on time, friendly packer, quick response to emails
My sister recommends your firm too - and the packer must be good as she handed over choccie hobnobs to him, even hubby doesn't get those!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

chrisk8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Graham
We are off to Brisbane as well on 457 visa and taking enough for a 20ft container best price so far £3.3K door 2 door. I have had so many differing quotes and the fact that I am a salesman leads me to believe that these prices are all about mark up and commissions. I am sure that the price can be lowered. Half the reason we are leaving is about getting away from rip off britain guess I dont want to be ripped off getting there.
Chris

'Being a Salesman' you are obviously aware that mark up and commissions are all part of running a viable business.
Also the differential you are seeing in the quotes is possibly also down to the size of companies you are dealing with - big companies have more vloume consequently have bigger buying powers with shipping lines hence cheaper prices but it could also be said bigger companies bigger head offices and 'fat cats' to pay for hence bigger quotes. ???
'These prices' are also about getting value for money, having confidence in the movers to provide a service thats compatible with your expectations and of course move your valued belongings from a to b as smoothly as is feasibly possible.
I would say £3.3k for a twenty foot container is a very good price and the only way you are going to get a better price than that is by 'self packing'.
Good luck.

CK
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisk8
'Being a Salesman' you are obviously aware that mark up and commissions are all part of running a viable business.
Also the differential you are seeing in the quotes is possibly also down to the size of companies you are dealing with - big companies have more vloume consequently have bigger buying powers with shipping lines hence cheaper prices but it could also be said bigger companies bigger head offices and 'fat cats' to pay for hence bigger quotes. ???
'These prices' are also about getting value for money, having confidence in the movers to provide a service thats compatible with your expectations and of course move your valued belongings from a to b as smoothly as is feasibly possible.
I would say £3.3k for a twenty foot container is a very good price and the only way you are going to get a better price than that is by 'self packing'.
Good luck.

CK
Well, i've heard a quote of £1500 for self-pack. Bit of a difference from 3.3k...(going to brisbane) - all these shipping companies imo are trying it on
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:30 pm

Gremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant futureGremlin has a brilliant future

Hi Graham
Chris
Hi Chris
Thats roughly what we were expecting to pay. We were thinking of using PSS anyway, there seems to be more recommendations for them on this forum than any other company. Of course it's got nothing to do with the fact that we've got a £50 voucher for PSS that we were given at the trade show!!
Have you looked into insurance yet?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by bluenico
Hi
Thanks for that, but what company do you represent?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Hi Graham, Best quote I got was from PSS. The most expensive was £4350 from Crown for a 20` to Brisbane and the best was £3500 from Hampshire to Brisbane all packed and unloaded by PSS at the other end. Good Luck, Mick
Thanks for that Mick, we're going to get them round in the next couple of weeks for a quote.
Best of luck to you too.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

kirrane is on a distinguished road

Hi Chris
Thats roughly what we were expecting to pay. We were thinking of using PSS anyway, there seems to be more recommendations for them on this forum than any other company. Of course it's got nothing to do with the fact that we've got a £50 voucher for PSS that we were given at the trade show!!
Have you looked into insurance yet?
for insurance look at letton percival got them off ep they are quoting me 1.53% most of the shipping firms start at 3% contact is john leaver 0151 236 4558 or [email protected] hope this helps. aslo ive had 3 quotes and all betered them one waty or another so play them off against each other.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

kirrane is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kirrane
for insurance look at letton percival got them off ep they are quoting me 1.53% most of the shipping firms start at 3% contact is john leaver 0151 236 4558 or [email protected] hope this helps. aslo ive had 3 quotes and all betered them one waty or another so play them off against each other.
3 quotes for shipping sorry
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

chrisk8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sammyg
Well, i've heard a quote of £1500 for self-pack. Bit of a difference from 3.3k...(going to brisbane) - all these shipping companies imo are trying it on
Yes £1500 would be about right for a self pack but I daresay for £1500 all you will get is a 20' container delivered to residence at a given time on a given date. You will then have 3 hours to load it securely, anything over three hours and you'll start paying holding fees which will equate to approx. £80 per hour. The container will then be taken to the port of Brisbane. That I guess would be the end of service for £1500.

At your expense you would then have to arranged port clearance, customs clearance, haulage to your new residence and rerturn of the container to the shipping line within a given timeframe (again usually three hours).

No doubt this is all possible to arrange and still wouldn't add up to £3.3k but a fair chunk of the £3.3k will be the labour and material costs to export pack, wrap and protect your belongings before securing them in a container, aswell as labour costs to offload and deliver to your new home.

Good luck to you if you go this down this route but for me I know which way I'll be moving my belongings when we go in September. I think we'll have enough on our plates with chasing around finding port agents, clearing agents etc.

CK
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Our container arrives next week - £1245 for 20ft - we have 3 hours to pack yes.
A broker will deal with it the other end in Freo - should be around the same cost wise from what I can work out for us. So I reckon £2500 but to be fair i'm not sure how much grief it will be for us despite haveing a broker.

I'll let you know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.