Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best pre-paid plan for mobile network data for an iPhone

Best pre-paid plan for mobile network data for an iPhone

Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best pre-paid plan for mobile network data for an iPhone

Hi

I'm coming over to Oz with an unlocked iPhone and am after a good pre-paid data allowance.

I saw the Virgin mobile one which seems good with 300mb for $10.

Are there any others that are better value?

Cheers!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:59 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best pre-paid plan for mobile network data for an iPhone

If you're not living in the city then the only network you should consider is Telstra, because all the others suck donkey balls outside the major metropolitan areas. Telstra of course are fully aware of this and charge like a wounded bull. But at least you get to make calls and use 3G.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, Telsta definitely have the best network but like you say they charge loads. The most countrified we'll be will be somewhere like Newcastle so I thought Optus or Virgin might be a good compromise for cost and coverage.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:53 am
Just Joined

chris and tracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 77hil View Post
Yeah, Telsta definitely have the best network but like you say they charge loads. The most countrified we'll be will be somewhere like Newcastle so I thought Optus or Virgin might be a good compromise for cost and coverage.

We got Optus SIM cards for our unlocked iPhones - I think its something like a Turbo Cap plan. Can't say its 100% the cheapest but it seems reasonable for calls and data and we've had coverage everywhere we've been except up in the Otway National Park.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
If you're not living in the city then the only network you should consider is Telstra, because all the others suck donkey balls outside the major metropolitan areas. Telstra of course are fully aware of this and charge like a wounded bull. But at least you get to make calls and use 3G.
I don't think the uk iphone's will work with telstra nextG, 3g and 2g should be ok.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:27 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker View Post
I don't think the uk iphone's will work with telstra nextG, 3g and 2g should be ok.
The do. The iphone 3G & 3GS is UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
& GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz). 850 is the frequency for Telstra's Next G.

That said, Telstra hit you up for $10 per 100Meg or thereabouts for data. I think I pay $29 for 300 Meg on top of my plan.

But I would be on no other network. Coverage and network performance is frankly sub par with anyone else.

Last edited by Centurion; Jan 30th 2010 at 5:31 am.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:20 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 77hil View Post
Even driving between Sydney and Newcastle etc. you would notice the difference of Optus to Telstra. Also because Telstra use a lower Frequency in building coverage is better.

You could also look at 3, they have good rates you can use the vodafone 2gedge network outside of major cities (much faster than optus GPRS). 3 Phones can also roam onto most of Telstra's next G network (but there are roaming data charges)

Optus's regional 3G coverage does not work with the iphone.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers for the advice.

Sounds like Virgin/Optus for cost. Telstra for coverage. I would give 3 a go but those Telstra roaming charges look pretty steep!

I suppose if it's prepaid I can try Optus/Virgin and if it's crap I can switch to Telstra.

Many thanks!

Last edited by 77hil; Jan 30th 2010 at 9:59 am.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

simmoman is an unknown quantity at this point

I am returning to Oz (Newcastle area) from the UK with an unlocked O2 iphone. I have a telstra pre paid Next G SIM from Dick Smith for $30 which includes call time. I will then top up with Talk and Text $60 which gives you 250 texts plus 250 mins talk plus $60 of what every you use over the above but I will convert $30 of that to data usage which will give me 300MB of internet access.

Hopefully this will work out but others have said it will so fingers crossed.

I love my iphone but you cant get the same deals that you can in the UK.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:22 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by simmoman View Post
I am returning to Oz (Newcastle area) from the UK with an unlocked O2 iphone. I have a telstra pre paid Next G SIM from Dick Smith for $30 which includes call time. I will then top up with Talk and Text $60 which gives you 250 texts plus 250 mins talk plus $60 of what every you use over the above but I will convert $30 of that to data usage which will give me 300MB of internet access.

Hopefully this will work out but others have said it will so fingers crossed.

I love my iphone but you cant get the same deals that you can in the UK.
Simmoman you should check out the pennytel app on the app store. They use a call back within the app, of voip over wifi its great for cheap calling home on NextG.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

simmoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks will do. I have a SKYPE account on my computer which I was proposing to use for international calls