Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best places to move to in Oz

Best places to move to in Oz

Old Oct 5th 2012, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

katdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nicekatdan28 is just really nice
Default Best places to move to in Oz

Hi,

We are currently based In Gladstone Qld after living here for a year. Moving here was a shock initially having come from a small UK city -Gladstone was even smaller and there's really not a lot to do. We've met people who are of the same opinion which helps! Anyway, every now and then we're really unsettled and want to move (not back to the UK but somewhere in Oz)but just not sure where to. We love the Sunshine coast but there really isn't much work there.

My husband is a surveyor and there appears to be more work for him where there is industry areas.

Does anyone have any suggestions or own personal experiences of where is nice to live in Oz where there is work and things to do?! Some people have suggested WA but we've never been over the west side.

Thanks!
Old Oct 6th 2012, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Vicksy G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best places to move to in Oz

Originally Posted by katdan28
Hi,

We are currently based In Gladstone Qld after living here for a year. Moving here was a shock initially having come from a small UK city -Gladstone was even smaller and there's really not a lot to do. We've met people who are of the same opinion which helps! Anyway, every now and then we're really unsettled and want to move (not back to the UK but somewhere in Oz)but just not sure where to. We love the Sunshine coast but there really isn't much work there.

My husband is a surveyor and there appears to be more work for him where there is industry areas.

Does anyone have any suggestions or own personal experiences of where is nice to live in Oz where there is work and things to do?! Some people have suggested WA but we've never been over the west side.

Thanks!
Hi! I know what you mean about the shock of a small town when you've moved over from the UK. I've been here 11 years now & can recommend Toowoomba, don't know if you know of it? It's a large city, by Australian standards, lots of things to do, good shops, restaurants, parks, schools etc & great for families It is continually growing & I'm sure there would be work for you.
Goodluck!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 3:36 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katdan28
Hi,

Thanks!
Give Brisbane a go they're still building there and the GC is hosting the Commonwealth Games. Try to live on the eastern side near the coast so you catch the sea breezes, or on top of a hill, essential on days like this one .
Old Oct 7th 2012, 3:58 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming to the conclusion there are 4 tiers of Australian city/town:
  1. Melbourne & Sydney - In terms of things happening, these two seem to be it. Tours tend to visit these two, events happen, etc. On the downside, they are expensive, cold in winter, and unless you get out to the suburbs, typical inner city in terms of space.
  2. Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra - Still cities, but second string. Passed by for many events, and still overpriced in the CBD area. In descending quality, but I would say that thanks to the mining boom, Perth is full of cashed up bogans.
  3. Small Provincial - Basically little towns. Little happens, nothing really visits, and they are usually miles away from anything. Gladstone fits here.
  4. Teeny Tiny - One horse, and it died.
If you really want something happening, then you need tier 1 - but it'll cost you, climate isn't the best in winter, and you have typical city issues. Tier 2 might hold sufficient enticements, and with these you have a better choice of climate, but you are more likely to be passed by.
My suggestion is to actually visit some of these to get a feel - wait and get a cheap cheapy airline deal if you can. If nothing else you'll then have seen more of the country.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
  1. Melbourne & Sydney - In terms of things happening, these two seem to be it. Tours tend to visit these two, events happen, etc. On the downside, they are expensive, cold in winter, and unless you get out to the suburbs, typical inner city in terms of space.
  2. Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra - Still cities, but second string. Passed by for many events, and still overpriced in the CBD area. In descending quality, but I would say that thanks to the mining boom, Perth is full of cashed up bogans.
  3. Small Provincial - Basically little towns. Little happens, nothing really visits, and they are usually miles away from anything. Gladstone fits here.
If you really want something happening, then you need tier 1 - but it'll cost you, climate isn't the best in winter, and you have typical city issues. Tier 2 might hold sufficient enticements, and with these you have a better choice of climate, but you are more likely to be passed by.
My suggestion is to actually visit some of these to get a feel - wait and get a cheap cheapy airline deal if you can. If nothing else you'll then have seen more of the country.
I really think the nothing to do in brisbane days are gone, there is a mass of stuff most weekends, we often go down. Eldest son is down there living in the city and they are constantly out. Property is bloody cheap compared to syd and melb too, it took a battering after the floods and has not recovered, which is weird as most areas didnt flood at all. Bad publicity overkill.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:45 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't put Canberra in the same league as proper cities like Perth and too a lesser extent Brisbane. It has some very good museums, markets and galleries but lacks a city feel, it's more like a town really.

The city centre was a bit of a disappointment for me when I visited, it reminded me of Plymouth or Coventry, but Canberra's location and open feel (especially around the lake) was very pleasant.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I really think the nothing to do in brisbane days are gone, there is a mass of stuff most weekends, we often go down. Eldest son is down there living in the city and they are constantly out. Property is bloody cheap compared to syd and melb too, it took a battering after the floods and has not recovered, which is weird as most areas didnt flood at all. Bad publicity overkill.
Yes, Brisbane (and SEQ) is significantly bigger and more developed than Perth. We have experienced the "passed by" days and are lucky that they are mostly behind us. Lots of new things planned for Perth so things on the move there for the future as well hopefully.

Also think there needs to be another category between 2. and 3. There are many towns distinctly in-between Gladstone and the smaller capitals...Toowoomba, Townsville, Wollongong, Gold Coast, Geelong, Darwin, Hobart, Ballarat, Albury and Newcastle for example.

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 7th 2012 at 10:13 am.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:22 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Yes, Brisbane (and SEQ) is significantly bigger and more developed than Perth. We have experienced the "passed by" days and are lucky that they are mostly behind us. Lots of new things planned for Perth so things on the move there for the future as well hopefully.

Also think there needs to be another category between 2. and 3. There are many towns distinctly in-between Gladstone and the smaller capitals...Toowoomba, Townsville, Wollongong, Gold Coast, Geelong, Darwin, Hobart, Ballarat, Albury and Newcastle for example.
I'd say that tier 2 is a sliding scale, with Canberra on the bottom end of it mainly because its government town - so it gets things happening because of that. The gap to tier 3 is because basically nothing of note happens in tier 3, its all strictly regional stuff.

Brisbane vs Perth? Well, if you include the Gold Coast in with Brisbane then you can make a case for reversing the order - although I'd still rather live in Perth than Brisvegas. I'm sure the mining money will continue to build Perth up and entice events via the investment.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say that tier 2 is a sliding scale, with Canberra on the bottom end of it mainly because its government town - so it gets things happening because of that. The gap to tier 3 is because basically nothing of note happens in tier 3, its all strictly regional stuff.

Brisbane vs Perth? Well, if you include the Gold Coast in with Brisbane then you can make a case for reversing the order - although I'd still rather live in Perth than Brisvegas. I'm sure the mining money will continue to build Perth up and entice events via the investment.
Big gap between Gladstone and many of the other bigger towns.

Sure your personal preference may be for the smaller Perth just saying Brisbane is significantly more developed and gets a lot more events regardless of the Gold Coast which is what your scale was measuring I thought...

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 7th 2012 at 11:24 am.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 11:21 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney of course
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:25 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Toowoomba large??? I certainly didn't get that impression when I was there earlier this year, pretty similar to Ipswich I thought. But, no one likes to say they live in a crap town
For the OP, if your search is going to be based on your OH work then that's the path you need to take. He/she has to look for the opportunities in his/her field and then apply for the role they want and then you move. There is a MASSIVE difference between Sydney and Brisbane in so many respects, Sydney has pretty everything most people need, although I prefer Brisbane merely because it has a slightly slower pace and more friendly (my opinion only).
If you are desperate to have a more urban city lifestyle then its a state capital that you need to move to. Some posters are saying that Wollongong is in the same type as Gold Coast...nope!! Wollongong is a shitehole with very high unemployment and only the University is keeping it going. Gold Coast has its shite areas (Surfers Paradise) but is a large area and has some lovely suburbs and also the Gold Coast City Council are very proactive in developing the whole area in transport, buildings, infrastructure.
But, we can all give you OUR opinions, and many would not agree with mine, but ultimately you would need to go and see for yourself.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paddyo
Toowoomba large??? I certainly didn't get that impression when I was there earlier this year, pretty similar to Ipswich I thought. But, no one likes to say they live in a crap town ...
Yeah, I wouldn't describe Toowoomba as a large city though it is a fair sized regional city by Australian standards...I just assumed this is what the poster meant. I do think it would be significantly better than Gladstone on the activities front and has some great attributes.

For example the Vienna Boys Choir perform in the lovely Empire Theatre in Toowoomba this week, the recent Hamburg Philharmonic in Brisbane was broadcast live in Toowoomba and Ballet Queensland is opening Giselle in Toowoomba rather than Brisbane.

I think this is far beyond what a small town like Gladstone would enjoy.

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 8th 2012 at 11:14 am.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

We are in Tamworth, NSW and love it. 50,000 people and growing another 3000 houses going up, building is booming and lots of work added to that friendly people, beautiful scenery and town. Plenty going on in the last year we've had Keith Urban, Kenny Rogers and Coldplay in the TREC centre among some of the bigger names.

Haven't been on here in a long whilte as we are living it now and loving it. Would suggest research, research research and then visit. Have found on here nobody thinks anything happens outside the major cities and anything supposedly out of the suburbs is the outback - their loss.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Vicksy G is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fish.01
Yeah, I wouldn't describe Toowoomba as a large city though it is a fair sized regional city by Australian standards...I just assumed this is what the poster meant. I do think it would be significantly better than Gladstone on the activities front and has some great attributes.

For example the Vienna Boys Choir perform in the lovely Empire Theatre in Toowoomba this week, the recent Hamburg Philharmonic in Brisbane was broadcast live in Toowoomba and Ballet Queensland is opening Giselle in Toowoomba rather than Brisbane.

I think this is far beyond what a small town like Gladstone would enjoy.
Thanks, that's exactly what I meant, re. Australian standards
Old Oct 8th 2012, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming to the conclusion there are 4 tiers of Australian city/town:[LIST=1]
[*]Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra - Still cities, but second string. Passed by for many events, and still overpriced in the CBD area. In descending quality, but I would say that thanks to the mining boom, Perth is full of cashed up bogans.
y.
OI I'll have you know not all of us Bogans in Perf are cashed up... Some of us are piss poor pommie bogans still

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.