Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best place to stay in Adelaide on a recce trip?

Best place to stay in Adelaide on a recce trip?

Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Zigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant future
Default Best place to stay in Adelaide on a recce trip?

Hi there
We are looking at planning a trip to do a recce, and i just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for areas and/or hotels/apartments for us to stay.

we are a family of 4, us and our two boys ages then will be 5 and 2. we want somewhere not in the centre of adelaide, but so that we can check out the whole area and outskirts to see where would be good to live, and what the lifestyle would be like!?

thanks
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:36 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best place to stay in Adelaide on a recce trip?

Originally Posted by Zigzag
Hi there
We are looking at planning a trip to do a recce, and i just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for areas and/or hotels/apartments for us to stay.

we are a family of 4, us and our two boys ages then will be 5 and 2. we want somewhere not in the centre of adelaide, but so that we can check out the whole area and outskirts to see where would be good to live, and what the lifestyle would be like!?

thanks
You will have a LOT to see.Adelaide is expanding rapidly now and the whole city suburbs can take nearly 1.5 hours to drive through north/south.

Please keep those rosy coloured glasses firmly off.It's not the cheap/cash my UK house lifestyle for much longer.

A great place for families though
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Zigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tyke
You will have a LOT to see.Adelaide is expanding rapidly now and the whole city suburbs can take nearly 1.5 hours to drive through north/south.

Please keep those rosy coloured glasses firmly off.It's not the cheap/cash my UK house lifestyle for much longer.

Hi! thanks for that, i don't have the rosy glasses on though, i was brought up in South Africa, and know that (for me) the lifestyle in Australia is what I am after. OH hasn't been, so really it would just be a recce to confirm for him what I have already told him! I haven't been to Adelaide though, so I am just interested to see what its like....We are actually considering emigrating without visiting, provided OH gets a job.

We are very much at the beginning of this planning thing....but just wanted to know where to stay if we came out on holiday for a couple of weeks....don't really want to be smack in the centre of the city, because that wouldnt' be where we would live....

guess i would like to be by the beach for hols...so would Glenelg be the place to go? and if i was looking for a comparison of house prices....what would be a good average suburb to look at??

cheers
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:43 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tyke

Could you hold the prices till we get down from the $$$$$ Queensland place........please

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zigzag
Hi! thanks for that, i don't have the rosy glasses on though, i was brought up in South Africa, and know that (for me) the lifestyle in Australia is what I am after. OH hasn't been, so really it would just be a recce to confirm for him what I have already told him! I haven't been to Adelaide though, so I am just interested to see what its like....We are actually considering emigrating without visiting, provided OH gets a job.

cheers
Hi Zigzag,

We currently live in Devon, UK and seriously interested in Immigrating to Adelaide by the end of 2009 or so. We have one son 9yrs old. We have been looking in Greenwith, Golden Grove, Wynn Vale and areas surrounding that with the advice of "Wendy" on here.

I notice that you said you were brought up in S. Africa - so was I! I'm originally from Durban, (was born in UK, whole family S.African - went bk to S.Africa when I was 2yrs old - came bk to UK 9yrs ago!) Where you from in SA?

We want to move out to Aus for the lifestyle, climate, warmth (heat more like it) and the sunshine. I really miss not having a swimming pool outdoors to just jump into and catch a tan. This dull winter weather is beginning to get on my nerves after so many years now! As you know we didn't have much of a summer last year - so feels like we'v gone from winter to winter!

PM me if you like - we have picked up ALOT of info on work, housing, education in Adelaide during the nearly 2wks we'v been on this Forum. It has become so addictive!

cheers for now
Maz & Family
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

There's here: http://adelaideshores.com.au/

It's on the beach, not too far from the airport and is pretty central
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Devonfamily
Hi Zigzag,

PM me if you like - we have picked up ALOT of info on work, housing, education in Adelaide during the nearly 2wks we'v been on this Forum. It has become so addictive!

cheers for now
Maz & Family

Hi Maz
I have PM'd you! I think!!!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Best place to stay in Adelaide on a recce trip?

Originally Posted by Wendy
There's here: http://adelaideshores.com.au/

It's on the beach, not too far from the airport and is pretty central
(sorry to hijack)...

thanks for that wendy. looks good cheap accomodation to check out all the areas to start with. the research is mind boggling as there are so many things to consider ie schools where i can get a job with a decent wage etc.
will keep checking this for other accomodation ideas as the weeks/months go on.
ta

kathx
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjc79
(sorry to hijack)...

thanks for that wendy. looks good cheap accomodation to check out all the areas to start with. the research is mind boggling as there are so many things to consider ie schools where i can get a job with a decent wage etc.
will keep checking this for other accomodation ideas as the weeks/months go on.
ta

kathx
Yep, it's very daunting at first. Hopefully it will all come together for you though
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:25 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kjc79
the research is mind boggling as there are so many things to consider
My advice is deal with one thing at a time!! So write a list of what you want to find out start at the top and work your way down!

Some things will just fall into line, some you wont be able to deal with until you get here! But somehow not quite sure how, it does all fall into place!!