Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Place for savings - Pounds

Best Place for savings - Pounds

Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Place for savings - Pounds

Anyone found any good deals lately?

I have UK pounds that aren't worth bringing over woth the exchange rates the way they are but want to make the best of them I can. Doesn't matter too much where (bank wise or on/offshore) just so long as we are allowed to open the account form Oz.

And yes I am looking for myself too but can't be sure to find everything....
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:57 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Best Place for savings - Pounds

Originally Posted by Safin
Anyone found any good deals lately?

I have UK pounds that aren't worth bringing over woth the exchange rates the way they are but want to make the best of them I can. Doesn't matter too much where (bank wise or on/offshore) just so long as we are allowed to open the account form Oz.

And yes I am looking for myself too but can't be sure to find everything....
Premium Bonds ?

Old Oct 18th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

I had some of my pounds offshore in the Isle of Man. This week I have finally recouped all that were lost in the Icelandic banking collapse of Oct 2008. So in response to "Best Place for savings - pounds", I am inclined to suggest under a mattress.

ING Direct UK closed my account as soon as they became aware I was non-resident.

A lot of the internet only accounts can be opened from Australia. As I did with my beloved Icelandic bank.

I would opt for Citibank if you were still in UK.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

If it was me then I would open an etrade UK account and put it into some global companies like BP or HSBC.