Reload this Page >

Best place in Oz for electricians to work

Best place in Oz for electricians to work

Old May 30th 2010, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

cdawson0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best place in Oz for electricians to work

Hi,

WE definately want to head to Oz or New Zealand and have visited both in past, aiming to be there in Jan 2010. IN Oz, we like the idea of Perth or around Melbourne or around Sydney. Husband is an electrician and we are particularly thinking of his earning potential and job availability in these areas and of course lifestyle. So any advice on electricians in Oz verses New Zealand, and electricians in sydney vs melbourne vs perth would be great in helping us make our minds up
Thanks
Old May 30th 2010, 8:33 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place in Oz for electricians to work

Originally Posted by cdawson0
Hi,

WE definately want to head to Oz or New Zealand and have visited both in past, aiming to be there in Jan 2010. IN Oz, we like the idea of Perth or around Melbourne or around Sydney. Husband is an electrician and we are particularly thinking of his earning potential and job availability in these areas and of course lifestyle. So any advice on electricians in Oz verses New Zealand, and electricians in sydney vs melbourne vs perth would be great in helping us make our minds up
Thanks
loads of info here guys
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old May 31st 2010, 12:32 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have a visa for either country?

If you don't, I would suggest starting with that, particularly if you want to be there next January (I presume you meant to type 2011?).
Old May 31st 2010, 2:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best place in Oz for electricians to work

Hi,

Thanks
Not sure about Electricians in particular, but for most jobs the wages in Australia are about double those in NZ.

BB
Old May 31st 2010, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Hi there

Id suggest that you have a look at the Coffs Harbour region, well i would say that because i live here and love it! http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...offs%20Harbour it has been voted the most live-able city and best temperature in Australia, have a nosey you might just like the look of it.

Bob
Old May 31st 2010, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info guys! Had no idea wages in Oz were almost double that in New Zealand , that is definately a factor for us. Visa -wise going out with working holiday visas initially as just still in age range to get them.
So definately liking idea of Perth or Melborne or Sydney I think
Old May 31st 2010, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info guys! Had no idea wages in Oz were almost double that in New Zealand , that is definately a factor for us. Visa -wise going out with working holiday visas initially as just still in age range to get them.
They are so different....why those 3?
Old May 31st 2010, 1:28 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

If your husband wants to work here as an electrician I would start looking into how licensing works in the various states. Basically my point is he can't just show up and work as a qualified electrician. There might be hoops to jump through before he can do that.

Also keep in mind that if you are planning on applying for a permanent visa once you'll come back you'll need a year of recent work experience in his field. Just something to be aware of.

Last edited by comet555; May 31st 2010 at 2:14 pm.
Old May 31st 2010, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

While you could get double I don't think double is the average difference. I thought I heard 30% higher? If you live in one of the smaller NZ towns (not Auckland) I would imagine the house prices are a fair bit cheaper than the big Australian cities to balance it a bit....
Old May 31st 2010, 9:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best place in Oz for electricians to work

Originally Posted by fish.01
While you could get double I don't think double is the average difference. I thought I heard 30% higher? If you live in one of the smaller NZ towns (not Auckland) I would imagine the house prices are a fair bit cheaper than the big Australian cities to balance it a bit....
Unfortunately the wages are correspondingly lower too.

My FIL in a small NZ town employs an electrician for NZ$25 per hour!!! Here in Oz I pay AU$60 minimum.

BB
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:51 pm
yorkshire born & bred

warren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to allwarren thomas is a name known to all

Loads of work in perth IF you have a licence, if you haven't, dont bother, you wont get a job paying anything descent.
do your research first, Perth is great!!!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:58 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to think about the mines if he's an industrial electrician (or whatever the right term is) - higher hourly rate but either you live in the middle of bloody nowhere or you're rotating in and out of nowhere.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses. We were quite keen on Perth as an option anyway. Is the mines work fly in fly out from Perth only or from other cities too? And is mines work available for commercial electricians or just industrial?
Getting excited now! Just feel the job opportunities and pay would be better in Oz than Nz from the comments. Husband is british but grew up in South Africa and wants something similar so thinking Perth may tick the box. We can't start the process required to be licensed in Oz or Nz until we have made our minds up as they are different processes but swaying towards Oz, Perth in particular at the mo. Going on a reccie trip in about 6 weeks, have time booked off just need to get set on where to do reccie
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Careyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
Hi, my husband is an electrician too, we've been here for a little over 6 months. We're also looking around for a change and have been thinking about all of the areas you mentioned.

The lifestyle is good where we are in Queensland but we're looking for somewhere where the houses are a cheaper. I'll be interested in what you find out.