Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best place to move to, for work in IT

Best place to move to, for work in IT

Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best place to move to, for work in IT

I have just been reading the post about work in Adelaide and it has got me worried, we were thinking about moving there, but now I'm having second thoughts.

I am currently a Systems/Network Manager for a local Technology College, working with Microsoft, Citrix and Linux and have done for about 10 years and I specilise in the security side of Educational IT. Is Adelaide the best place for us to move to or should we be looking more at the Queenland area? Also will I have to think about taking any Australian qualifications.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to move to, for work in IT

Have a look at the internet job sites for jobs in your category and this should give you an idea of where you will be needed the most.

Seek, Careerone

The more degrees, bits of paper the better Australia loves lots of bits of paper.

People with no paper get lower wages and often not the job.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

The best place for IT jobs is Sydney then Melbourne. Brisbane would be slightly better than Adelaide. But if you're working in education all states will have their schools, TAFEs & Universities.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

What sector of education are you in? I presume you are talking about tertiary.

I work in the IT department for Monash University. Jobs are advertised for specific positions. Behind the scenes there's a role that needs filling and a group of employees in that office with various competencies and workloads, same as any job.

All unis are crying out for CAPABLE staff. I have interviewed three people with master degrees in IT in the last two weeks for a position we have going. It's true that a lot of people in the recruitment chain don't know the first thing about the technologies you use, so a relevant certificate helps you through the first filtering stage but really a statement like "I am suited to job x because I have 1, 2, 3" at the top of the page will do the same thing.

Some people can give a very convincing chat in an interview, but we put them in front of a PC and give them a simple practical exercise as part of the recruitment. One person did it without hesitating, and the other two - I had to sit there for 40 minutes watching the mouse pointer move around in circles on the screen.

At Monash there has been a change in emphasis from software development it infrastructure, which could work in your favour. If you are gunning for a position in a GO8 university, PM me your CV.

Ta,

Mr G
Old Aug 17th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

edie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of lightedie209 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mr G I have sent you a PM