Best place to live near Brisbane

Best place to live near Brisbane

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:59 pm
ERM
Champions

ERM is on a distinguished road
Question Best place to live near Brisbane

Hi

My family and I are hoping to move to OZ in about a years time. I've been looking in the net for somewhere in and around Brisbane (within an hours drive away). Maybe Gold coast or Sunshine coast. Would be greatfull to hear from anyone out there now with some good suggestions.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 8:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to live near Brisbane

What sort of things do you want to live near? Whats important? City/Beach/Touristy stuff/more peaceful scenery/schools? Brisbanes suburbs are so varied you'll need to give us more of a clue!
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:03 pm
ERM
Champions

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What sort of things do you want to live near? Whats important? City/Beach/Touristy stuff/more peaceful scenery/schools? Brisbanes suburbs are so varied you'll need to give us more of a clue!
HI Pollyana

We would prefer a lively suburb near the sea thats family oriniented. Must have is shops good school for a 6 year old. Nearby Hospital, my partner is a nurse / industrial estate within driving distance im an engineer. We dont want much ? Im sure there is a place just like that with some wonderfull scenery aswell.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ERM
HI Pollyana

We would prefer a lively suburb near the sea thats family oriniented. Must have is shops good school for a 6 year old. Nearby Hospital, my partner is a nurse / industrial estate within driving distance im an engineer. We dont want much ? Im sure there is a place just like that with some wonderfull scenery aswell.
How about a 5 minute walk to the school,
2 minute drive to a beach suitable for young kids,
8 minute drive to the local hospital,
2 minute drive to a big shopping centre (and our 6 screen cinema complex and library will be opening late next year too)

Industrial Areas? I suppose the Hemmant area is about 30-45 minutes away

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:39 pm
ERM
Champions

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How about a 5 minute walk to the school,
2 minute drive to a beach suitable for young kids,
8 minute drive to the local hospital,
2 minute drive to a big shopping centre (and our 6 screen cinema complex and library will be opening late next year too)

Industrial Areas? I suppose the Hemmant area is about 30-45 minutes away
HI ABCDiamond

Thanks for that sounds great but where might that be ?
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:02 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ERM
HI ABCDiamond

Thanks for that sounds great but where might that be ?
Sounds like another Pom family heading down to Bayside?
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:10 pm
ERM
Champions

Is Bayside the place to be than ?
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:18 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I can only really talk about the Northside:
There's quite a large hospital in Redcliffe, the main one in the City (plus two smaller ones) and a couple of smaller private as well. Schools etc are around everywhere. Geebung/Zillmere are fairly industrialised in places.

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/?nav=dd
You may find this useful to guage where you are.

If you do a search on http://www.yellowpages.com.au you'll be able to find out where the hospitals are and also probably the key industrial companies.

Large shopping centres tend to be Westfield and can be found at; Chermside, Strathpine, Toombul, Indooroopilly, Carindale, Garden City, North Lakes (Redcliffe area) Mitchelton. I think all of which have a dozen+ cinema screens/bowling etc.

There are lots of nice areas on the coasts, south & northside Brisbane - do you think you'll be able to come over and have a look before you move?
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:31 pm
ERM
Champions

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I can only really talk about the Northside:
There's quite a large hospital in Redcliffe, the main one in the City (plus two smaller ones) and a couple of smaller private as well. Schools etc are around everywhere. Geebung/Zillmere are fairly industrialised in places.

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/?nav=dd
You may find this useful to guage where you are.

If you do a search on http://www.yellowpages.com.au you'll be able to find out where the hospitals are and also probably the key industrial companies.

Large shopping centres tend to be Westfield and can be found at; Chermside, Strathpine, Toombul, Indooroopilly, Carindale, Garden City, North Lakes (Redcliffe area) Mitchelton. I think all of which have a dozen+ cinema screens/bowling etc.

There are lots of nice areas on the coasts, south & northside Brisbane - do you think you'll be able to come over and have a look before you move?
Hi mlbonner

Thanks for this, yes planning to go and have a look round before we move, such a big place need to narrow down my search before i go
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:36 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ERM
Hi mlbonner

Thanks for this, yes planning to go and have a look round before we move, such a big place need to narrow down my search before i go
I'm a north-sider too, and am really only familiar with my own little bit; I know there are an awful lot of Brits settled down in Bayside - including ABC - and that does sound like a description of that area. However, like Michelle, you really need to look round and see what suits you.
Personally I quite like the Redcliffe area, but I know it gets slammed by a lot of people. I also quite like the bit I'm in now - Clayfield/Chermside all that area has good facilities and is reasonably close to the city, with good public transport.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:48 pm
ERM
Champions

I'm a north-sider too, and am really only familiar with my own little bit; I know there are an awful lot of Brits settled down in Bayside - including ABC - and that does sound like a description of that area. However, like Michelle, you really need to look round and see what suits you.
Personally I quite like the Redcliffe area, but I know it gets slammed by a lot of people. I also quite like the bit I'm in now - Clayfield/Chermside all that area has good facilities and is reasonably close to the city, with good public transport.
The best thing I can do is to start making notes on the places thats best recommended, so when I go over to have a look round I can see these places for myself

Thanks, ERM
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 11:50 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ERM
Is Bayside the place to be than ?
It's one area to choose from

But it's good to look around, and not make fast decisions.

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Slightly off the thread but..

Got stuck just behind the accident in the middle of the bridge last night, first delay for me on there since arriving in January. Sat there for 45minutes, to be then told by the police likely to be shut for another 3 hours. Turned around and had to go back to Bracken Ridge and up the Bruce and in down Anzac ave, past North Lakes.

Although a ball ache, it was strange just parked up on the bridge and getting out the car for a stroll around.

The Houghton Highway Bridge (of course).
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 1:57 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ScuntoBris
Slightly off the thread but..

Got stuck just behind the accident in the middle of the bridge last night, first delay for me on there since arriving in January. Sat there for 45minutes, to be then told by the police likely to be shut for another 3 hours. Turned around and had to go back to Bracken Ridge and up the Bruce and in down Anzac ave, past North Lakes.

Although a ball ache, it was strange just parked up on the bridge and getting out the car for a stroll around.

The Houghton Highway Bridge (of course).
Always mean to stop there somewhere and walk across the footbridge; and you know what I really love to see up there - the pelicans sitting on the street lamps, looking for fish way below!
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Always mean to stop there somewhere and walk across the footbridge; and you know what I really love to see up there - the pelicans sitting on the street lamps, looking for fish way below!
Have seen Dolphins twice, when coming over from Redcliffe, but try not to look that hard, otherwise I could be the one in the accident!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.