Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The best place to live in Melbourne for late 20s (no kids)

The best place to live in Melbourne for late 20s (no kids)

Old Jan 7th 2006, 8:44 pm
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future
Question The best place to live in Melbourne for late 20s (no kids)

Hi all

We've been considering different places to live when we first arrive in Oz, and after numerous job interviews (and soul seaching) in random outback places have finally decided on our first choice (having lived there for a while), Melbourne.

We know the innner-city places like Carlton, but have no clue about anywhere else.

We're both late 20s, no kids, and can afford (after a year of renting) a house around $500k... any suggestions on the best places to live less than 30 mins train ride from the CBD?

Sorry if it seems a bit specific, but we know what we want but don't know if you know what I mean!!

Thanks for your help,

Cheers
Laura & Nick
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: The best place to live in Melbourne for late 20s (no kids)

Laura/ Nick
Hi. Not sure we can help, but thought we should introduce ourselves. I think we are in an identical situation. We're moving to Melbourne in February from Bristol. We're both doctors and will be working at the Royal Children's and Royal Women's Hospitals in Carlton. We, I suspect like you, are looking for somewhere that's "tram-able" to the CBD but that is a nice place to live, perhaps by the sea. We're looking at St Kilda's and Elwood but probably won't do much 'til we get there and have a look around. We've wangled some hospital accommodation for the first few weeks to give us have a chance to drive around and see what'll be best.
Keep in touch.
Cheers
Matt and Louise
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:23 pm
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future
Default Re: The best place to live in Melbourne for late 20s (no kids)

You'll love it! You're probably staying near to where we lived by Melbourne Uni - brilliant place, esp Lygon St and the Queen Vic market.

We can't afford anything of a decent size near there so have looked at St Kilda (lovely place, but a bit dodgy in parts) and Elwood (never been there but from realesate.com.au our first choice) and further out, as well as Willliamstown... but it seems that the more we research the less we're convinced - it's really hard to decide on somewhere!

We're going to rent first but keep being temped by the 'perfect' homes we find online.

Good luck with the move. Should meet for a drink sometime!

L&N

Originally Posted by Matt Sabin
Laura/ Nick
Hi. Not sure we can help, but thought we should introduce ourselves. I think we are in an identical situation. We're moving to Melbourne in February from Bristol. We're both doctors and will be working at the Royal Children's and Royal Women's Hospitals in Carlton. We, I suspect like you, are looking for somewhere that's "tram-able" to the CBD but that is a nice place to live, perhaps by the sea. We're looking at St Kilda's and Elwood but probably won't do much 'til we get there and have a look around. We've wangled some hospital accommodation for the first few weeks to give us have a chance to drive around and see what'll be best.
Keep in touch.
Cheers
Matt and Louise
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Definitely. We're off to Verbier tomorrow for a last minute snowboarding trip (here that Mt Buller's OK, but nothing like the alps) and then we're off to Melbourne 2 weeks after that. Keep in touch, would be good to meet up for a Toohey's or something similar.
Cheers
Matt+Louise
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:50 pm
Laura & Nick

Yep, a Carlon Cold and G&T would work well...

Have a good snowboarding trip (we're skiers but thinking of defecting) - heard it's well expensive in Vic so enjoy!

So jealousabout Mel - around 36 degrees or so we hear (sighhh... )

L&N
Old Jan 7th 2006, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Ness76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ljk888
Hi all

We've been considering different places to live when we first arrive in Oz, and after numerous job interviews (and soul seaching) in random outback places have finally decided on our first choice (having lived there for a while), Melbourne.

We know the innner-city places like Carlton, but have no clue about anywhere else.

We're both late 20s, no kids, and can afford (after a year of renting) a house around $500k... any suggestions on the best places to live less than 30 mins train ride from the CBD?

Sorry if it seems a bit specific, but we know what we want but don't know if you know what I mean!!

Thanks for your help,

Cheers
Laura & Nick
Hi Laura & Nick,

We have been in Melbourne for 5 months now (and have settled in well - thank goodness!) When we arrived we desperately wanted to buy asap, but just didnt find anywhere that completely ticked all the boxes. We were looking in St Kilda, Elwood, Brighton, Prahan, South Yarra sort of areas. Public transport links and a short commute were high on our priorities.

Like yourselves, we are late 20s and have no kids, so had the fortune to be completely selfish as to where to settle, ie no worries about schooling etc!

As time was running out in our initial (and very expensive!) serviced appartment, we changed our focus to renting. Subsequently we are in a fabulous 2 bed apartment in St Kilda - its about 1 1/2 years old so all very nice. Our other priority on location was to have a bit of 'city life' cafes/bars/restaurants nearby, and to be close to the CBD and the beach. Where we are is just perfect - a five min walk to Fitzroy St. St Kilda is, erm 'colouful' as I like to call it, but its a fabulous place. There is a tram stop a minutes walk and we have lovely views of the city skyline.

From the inspections and research we did when we were wanting to buy, I think you`ll be able to get a decent property for the figures you mention, its just a case of narrowing down a few areas.

I may have gone a little off course here, and not sure its any help - but basically Im sure once you get here and have a spy around the various suburbs, you'll know what and where you feel comfortable to settle.

Good Luck!!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:16 am
Debs M

dhw210770 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Thanks for your help,

Cheers
Laura & Nick
Hi Laura,

My husband & I are in our mid-30's with no kids and we will be in Melbourne from 17th Jan. We were in the same position as you in respect of trying to decide where we would settle once arriving.

We came out in April to see my family and made a visit to Melbourne to check it out. We went to a few places in the south-east area but didn't like what we saw, so we headed north. We have a shortlist of 3 suburbs which are next to one another: Greensborough, Bundoora & Watsonia. The bonus is that they are only 20km of the City and the train takes approx. 30 mins which is good for me as I will definitely be working in the City.

My advice to you would be to rent for a little while then have a look around at the different suburbs to see where you would like to live.

Let us know when you arrive and maybe we could all catch up for a drink.

Regards,

Debs
Old Jan 8th 2006, 5:19 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dhw210770
Hi Laura,

We came out in April to see my family and made a visit to Melbourne to check it out. We went to a few places in the south-east area but didn't like what we saw, so we headed north.

Debs

Yeah, they are a rough lot around that area. :scared:
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

londonjas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Laura and Nick

Not sure if this really helps but my wife and I are heading out June time this year and did a recce trip in November looking for somewhere central where you did not have to rely on a car for every trip. We found lots of lovely neighbourhoods (Fairfield, Clifton Hill, Hawthorn, Prarhan, Port Melbourne, St. Kilda East) and missed some we should have looked at (Northcote).

From what we saw you would have a good selection of property available to you for $500'000 although some areas (Port Melbourne) and much more expensive that other areas (Fairfield for example). Note this is based on properties I saw up for sale so people living in Melbourne will have a much better idea. On the basis of the properties we saw and listening to estate agents place generally go for 10-15% above the expectation although a lot of property (I'd say 30-40% of the places we saw) did not at the first auction.

cheers
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:28 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks for your help,

Cheers
Laura & Nick
We're applying at the moment but can't decide between Melbourne or Sydney... We lived in Melbourne for a year a few years ago, in carlton, and absolutely loved it - melbourne in general but also Carlton. It's close to city (tram) and great for cafes/bars etc. Fitzroy is another great area - lots and lots of great bars/restaurants etc., quite a 'cool' area. You should be able to get a nice pad in that area for that money. Punch it in to www.domain.com.au and see what you get.

Ooo - here's one http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...id=2005250831# and you'd get $100k change too

and another http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...id=2005274361#

Of course, that's if you're after swish apartments...

Hope this helps.

Graham