Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best place to buy a new computer in Oz

Wikiposts

Best place to buy a new computer in Oz

Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:35 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place to buy a new computer in Oz

Originally Posted by logan
Mr Logan builds his own computers and was wondering if anyone knows where he can get all the components at a good price? He's found a couple of online sites only. The sooner he builds a new one....the sooner I get to use it
Logan try Computer Alliance (Sharpy gave the URL) or the disc shop - I think its http://www.thediscshop.com.au . They do the best prices on components that I have found.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Logan try Computer Alliance (Sharpy gave the URL) or the disc shop - I think its http://www.thediscshop.com.au . They do the best prices on components that I have found.
Cheers for that Mrs D
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Mr Logan builds his own computers and was wondering if anyone knows where he can get all the components at a good price? He's found a couple of online sites only. The sooner he builds a new one....the sooner I get to use it
Does he just build for himself, or for others too ?

I have some contacts in the component distribution channel, somewhere. I can try to dig the info out if required

Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:16 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Or try Umart Online. A lot of my colleagues get stuff from there. You can usually order it online and then it will be ready for collection later that day for standard things. You will not get the level of advice (e.g. comparisons of components) that places like computer alliance give you, but if you know exactly what you want they will probably be cheaper.

In town we use QIC near the Post Office Square on Adelaide Street - they are slightly more than places like computer alliance (but only slightly) but very convenient for our work.

Also, if you are after networking components, I know a reseller/wholesaler who can get really good prices on NetGear etc. I will try and find out if he takes orders from the general public.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jun 11th 2005, 2:25 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Or try Umart Online. A lot of my colleagues get stuff from there. You can usually order it online and then it will be ready for collection later that day for standard things. You will not get the level of advice (e.g. comparisons of components) that places like computer alliance give you, but if you know exactly what you want they will probably be cheaper.

In town we use QIC near the Post Office Square on Adelaide Street - they are slightly more than places like computer alliance (but only slightly) but very convenient for our work.

Also, if you are after networking components, I know a reseller/wholesaler who can get really good prices on NetGear etc. I will try and find out if he takes orders from the general public.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Umart Sydney is notorious for bad service but I think different from the Brisbane one. I use www.staticice.com.au for a price and then goto www.pluscorp.com.au , www.auspcmarket.com.au or www.pmecomputers.com.au.

I prefer the Dell method with reinstalling drivers as it is cleaner than some of the preinstallations that contain out of date and unstable drivers.