British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Best place to buy decent Womens office wear in Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/best-place-buy-decent-womens-office-wear-melbourne-475634/)

C&R Aug 21st 2007 6:04 am

Best place to buy decent Womens office wear in Melbourne

I need slacks and tops. The trousers I bought in the sale at Country Road are great, but I had to get them altered as they trailed behind me. Where can one buy nice work trousers in a place that offers different lengths? Please do not mention Portmans, they are incredibly expensive for the quality of material, and I fear if I wore them and got close to a flame I would self combust. I also need shirts and tops. TIA :thumbup:

Vanessa Aug 21st 2007 6:40 am

Re: Best place to buy decent Womens office wear in Melbourne

Originally Posted by C&R (Post 5215106)
I need slacks and tops. The trousers I bought in the sale at Country Road are great, but I had to get them altered as they trailed behind me. Where can one buy nice work trousers in a place that offers different lengths? Please do not mention Portmans, they are incredibly expensive for the quality of material, and I fear if I wore them and got close to a flame I would self combust. I also need shirts and tops. TIA :thumbup:

I think most trousers here are too long but there are plenty of tailors around to take them up. I bought a suit last Saturday in David Lawrence but I also find Jigsaw have some good trousers and tops.

(didn't look but I am assuming you are female!)

birdynumnum Aug 21st 2007 9:19 am

a concession in DJones does have a petite range

rabsody Aug 21st 2007 9:31 am

I totally agree re Portmans, they used to be good but the quality of the material has been terrible for a few years now for the price they are charging!

Veronika Maine is pricey but they do some lovely pieces and it's good quality gear, good for suits. Not sure if they do different lengths, but they did the altering on a pair of trews and a jacket for me, cost me $16 and they had it done within an hour! (Indooroopilly, Qld store).

Cue is the same company as Veronika Maine, do nice stuff, but can be pricey and can be a bit overly trendy (some cool out there stuff, if that's your bag but will go out of fashion quite quickly).

Witchery is reasonable (about same price as Portmans) and quite classical, good for shirts and tops, check out www.witchery.com.au

Also, not sure what age you are but Jacqui E is a bit more for the mature lady, mainly work stuff, fairly classic, conservative gear.

You can also find the odd bit in Sussans, not so much suits, but shirts, trousers, tops. They definitely do different length trousers and are very reasonably priced for the quality, and have trendied themselves up a bit!

Other than that, Basque (a Myer brand) have a good variety and quality of suits and business clothes at a reasonable price - well worth checking out (as well as all the usual suspects at Myer: Sportscraft, David Lawrence, Cue etc).

Hope this helps! Can you tell I love shopping LOL!!! :)

p.s the good thing about going to myer, i.e for the basque range, is to go in find what you like and sit tight until they have a 25% off womens clothes/trousers/tops week - i do it all the time and you rarely have to wait more than a week as they are always having sales!

C&R Aug 21st 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 5215770)
I totally agree re Portmans, they used to be good but the quality of the material has been terrible for a few years now for the price they are charging!

Veronika Maine is pricey but they do some lovely pieces and it's good quality gear, good for suits. Not sure if they do different lengths, but they did the altering on a pair of trews and a jacket for me, cost me $16 and they had it done within an hour! (Indooroopilly, Qld store).

Cue is the same company as Veronika Maine, do nice stuff, but can be pricey and can be a bit overly trendy (some cool out there stuff, if that's your bag but will go out of fashion quite quickly).

Witchery is reasonable (about same price as Portmans) and quite classical, good for shirts and tops, check out www.witchery.com.au

Also, not sure what age you are but Jacqui E is a bit more for the mature lady, mainly work stuff, fairly classic, conservative gear.

You can also find the odd bit in Sussans, not so much suits, but shirts, trousers, tops. They definitely do different length trousers and are very reasonably priced for the quality, and have trendied themselves up a bit!

Other than that, Basque (a Myer brand) have a good variety and quality of suits and business clothes at a reasonable price - well worth checking out (as well as all the usual suspects at Myer: Sportscraft, David Lawrence, Cue etc).

Hope this helps! Can you tell I love shopping LOL!!! :)

p.s the good thing about going to myer, i.e for the basque range, is to go in find what you like and sit tight until they have a 25% off womens clothes/trousers/tops week - i do it all the time and you rarely have to wait more than a week as they are always having sales!

Wow rabsody great advice!!
will check out all recommendations this week. Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

cedar cottage Aug 26th 2007 5:00 am

Hi I just got back to Perth from shopping trip in Melb....Couldnt go past DFO in the city next to Spencer Street Railway Station (name changed now, but cannot think of it) There is factory outlets in Richmond and Nunnawading. All very good and half the price. Suzette