Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best neighbourhoods in Canberra

Best neighbourhoods in Canberra

Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:53 am
Just Joined

MinnieC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best neighbourhoods in Canberra

Hi, I have just arrived in Canberra with my husband (who's got a job in Kingston) and two young children (1 and 3). We are currently in an apt in Griffith whilst we look for a more permenant house, so would REALLY appreciate some advice on which areas are good and which are not. I like the idea of the big houses in Forde etc but it seems so far out. Woden valley and Weston Creek I've heard are good but which parts of these areas are to be avoided?! I am not currently working (although do have a working visa and have a small company back in the UK with my sister that I am considering starting up out here) so would really like to have a good community, especially with pre-school age kids.
All help really appreciated.
Many thanks
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best neighbourhoods in Canberra

The eyeball test will tell you what to avoid. It used to be that you steered clear of Narrabundah, Charnwood, Richardson totally but now Narrabundah is becoming gentrified (especially the top end up past the College) although I'm not too sure about the desirability of the school there at the mo.

Personally I'm an Inner Suburb gal and working in Kingston you could also head over to the Inner North perhaps ahead of Weston Creek (try Campbell, Ainslie Downer, Hackett, Watson maybe).

Nowhere in Canberra is really really bad but there are pockets of undesirable neighbours wherever you go. It's cheaper to get housing the further out you go but the cost of travel will offset that. The newer houses tend to be on smaller blocks and the new suburbs take a while to feel established.

Bottom line - doesn't really matter. Find a house you like and are accepted for, at a price you can afford with a commute you can tolerate in an area with all the services you want and check out the neighbours and it should be fine.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 7:20 am
Just Joined

MinnieC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best neighbourhoods in Canberra

Ah, that's great. Thank you so much.
Best, M