Reload this Page >

Best Mosquito Repellents?

Best Mosquito Repellents?

Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Originally Posted by verystormy
Actually, it is nothing to do with sweat. It is CO2 they follow. Interestingly, they can detect it from 2km and will track it. It is possible to buy CO2 traps, but there normally only used by industry - i have one here recently installed. It cost about $6k.

There is also no such thing as some people who are bitten and some arent. Everyone is bitten to the same amount. But some people do not react to the bite. This can change in different countries - for example, i do not react to the bites here, but i do to the mossquitos over the border in the Congo.

We get about 60 cases of malaria per year. Half will report never having been bitten.
Hmm, not sure that is entirely true. CO2 (together with heat) is certainly a major cue, and acts from a distance as you say, but other odours (e.g. those in sweat) also act as attractants, and it has been shown that different people are more or less attractive and that this appears to be related to specific components of their sweat.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

A year or so ago I discovered that a fabric-softener called "Bounce" keeps mosquitoes away from my bed at night, and I have a sheet at my feet when I'm at my desk. I don't know what's in it, and I don't know if it's available in Oz. I live in the Caribbean. If I am bitten (when I'm away from the Bounce, of course), then I rub the spot with Bounce and it eases the itch.

Cheap and easy. If it's sold in Oz, go for it!

(I had malaria many years ago in Vila, in what is now Vanuatu, and dengue is not uncommon here, so I take mozzies seriously.)
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alfresco
That's interesting to know. I'll try that. Not sure about vegemite though. Does Marmite work?
No idea about marmite and to be honest I treat Vegemite as medicine because frankly its not great but in my experience it does work. I was so attractive to mosquitoes my wife used me to prevent herself from being bitten but not any more.....
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I don't seem to get bitten much but where we live there seems to be an abundance of just regular fly's. They don't bite as I say but they are so annoying and itchy when the keep sitting on my head. Should these repellants mentioned keep them away too?
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite or Vegemite eaten along with what was said about the garlic.

I found smashing some garlic in pan and adding baked beans most effective, especially along with slice of vegemite smeared toast with boiled eggs.

Manuka honey is also very effective

Once smeared over your partners unsuspecting back. They will be in pain but you will be bite free.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Marmite or Vegemite eaten along with what was said about the garlic.

I found smashing some garlic in pan and adding baked beans most effective, especially along with slice of vegemite smeared toast with boiled eggs.

Manuka honey is also very effective

Once smeared over your partners unsuspecting back. They will be in pain but you will be bite free.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
I don't seem to get bitten much but where we live there seems to be an abundance of just regular fly's. They don't bite as I say but they are so annoying and itchy when the keep sitting on my head. Should these repellants mentioned keep them away too?
I have yet to come up with a simple way to keep house flies away. I'm gonna work on this solution this coming summer.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I like Stop Itch + it works really fast & stops the scratching urge. I've tried the clicker as well but it's just like a zap from one of those BBQ igniters
Another vote for Stop Itch here. The school nurse also stocks it apparently.

Two of the mums at school are getting over RRV and it's not even the time of year for it yet. Yikes.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

This.....

If I lived somewhere where mosquitos were at levels where they posed a real thread to humans then I would definitely get one.

I know a bloke in Cairns that cleared his 1/2 acre block with something similar.... Co2... the Light and a human pheremone.

Stuff the chemicals that you put on your skin.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 4:52 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
This.....

If I lived somewhere where mosquitos were at levels where they posed a real thread to humans then I would definitely get one.

I know a bloke in Cairns that cleared his 1/2 acre block with something similar.... Co2... the Light and a human pheremone.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qMvqCRh3C1U

Stuff the chemicals that you put on your skin.
Looks effective, I'd need a lot of extension leads to take it fishing, camping, or for a day out at the beach though. The mosquito problem isn't around most homes [we have similar products & zappers in the house. It's when you're out living your life. Then it's much easier to prevent Ross River fever (Australia-wide) Dengue fever, Barmah Forest virus (Australia-wide) & Murray Valley encephalitis with a simple tropical strength Deet or Picaridin spray. The question was regarding repellants rather than static zappers etc.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Looks effective, I'd need a lot of extension leads to take it fishing, camping, or for a day out at the beach though. The mosquito problem isn't around most homes [we have similar products & zappers in the house. It's when you're out living your life. Then it's much easier to prevent Ross River fever (Australia-wide) Dengue fever, Barmah Forest virus (Australia-wide) & Murray Valley encephalitis with a simple tropical strength Deet or Picaridin spray. The question was regarding repellants rather than static zappers etc.

Personally I reckon one of these at circa 500 Aud is a must for every home north of Capricorn. It would go a fair way in quelling the problems around town at least.

Why bother with nets, blinds and other barriers when you can buy one of these and keep your home area free of most mosquitoes. They do need a still sheltered area though.

I wont wear any of that deet stuff, so I'll have to keep covered or build some kind of clear area when and if I venture into mossie territory.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 8:52 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Personally I reckon one of these at circa 500 Aud is a must for every home north of Capricorn. It would go a fair way in quelling the problems around town at least.

Why bother with nets, blinds and other barriers when you can buy one of these and keep your home area free of most mosquitoes. They do need a still sheltered area though.

I wont wear any of that deet stuff, so I'll have to keep covered or build some kind of clear area when and if I venture into mossie territory.
The trouble is you're actually attracting them to your back garden with those things. We found with our zappers that they do tend to attract way more than usual.
When camping I usually find a bit of damp wood keeps the fire just smoky enough to keep them away [along with a few mozzie coils dotted about]
Why the fear of Deet?
I admit I'm the same with most sunscreens & tend to cover up rather than apply it I do put it on my face & lower legs when I'm out in the kayak. Not so much a fear, more of an intense dislike of having greasy sticky lotion all over me.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The trouble is you're actually attracting them to your back garden with those things. We found with our zappers that they do tend to attract way more than usual.
When camping I usually find a bit of damp wood keeps the fire just smoky enough to keep them away [along with a few mozzie coils dotted about]
Why the fear of Deet?
I admit I'm the same with most sunscreens & tend to cover up rather than apply it I do put it on my face & lower legs when I'm out in the kayak. Not so much a fear, more of an intense dislike of having greasy sticky lotion all over me.

Meet too. There are some good ones now that allow you to have normal tactile functionality after about a minute.