Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Mosquito Repellents?

Best Mosquito Repellents?

Old Aug 24th 2013, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Originally Posted by verystormy
I have spent a huge amount of time on this, in the last few months as i work in a malaria area in Africa and i am responsible for the well being of my camp. When i arrived we had an instance of 35% malaria - So, 35% of the camp had had malaria per month. We have not had a case now for a month.

So, these are the official guides:

Avoid dark clothing - mozzies are attracted to it.

Avoid smoking - they follow CO2.

Wear long sleeves / trousers

Sleep under a mosquito net - you can buy them in lots of places in Perth and i would assume most other Oz cities

Get rid of any standing water - so if you have a pot plant outside, check it doesnt have a pool of water at the base.

Repellant. A DEET based repellant is the only proven thing that keeps them off. The best brand is Bushmans. Here i use the 80% version. But that is excessive for Oz. I would recomend the 20% version.
Can you post a link of the Bushmans repellent please. Thanks.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:31 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Can you post a link of the Bushmans repellent please. Thanks.
This one: https://www.bushman-repellent.com
Old Aug 24th 2013, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57

Cool, thanks. It's the same I have here at home. The green one. Bought it for camping but haven't used it yet. Will test it no doubt soon.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 11:34 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, thanks. It's the same I have here at home. The green one. Bought it for camping but haven't used it yet. Will test it no doubt soon.
I use the green one for around the house/garden, step up to the brown 40% for general fishing. I keep some 80% for dawn or dusk fishing in creeks when the sandflies are so thick that you have to fight through them. There's a can of both in the Ute & the tube of strong stuff stays in my tackle bag.
It's way better than the other stuff on the market, I've tried loads & only Bushman's keeps sandflies at bay all day.
I was concerned about the 80% Deet content rumours about it being carcinogenic etc. It's safer than not using anything lol Dengue, Ross River virus etc are on the increase up here.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Chemist warehouse has it at a good price.Will get some for my daughter for her Vietnam trip next month.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I use the green one for around the house/garden, step up to the brown 40% for general fishing. I keep some 80% for dawn or dusk fishing in creeks when the sandflies are so thick that you have to fight through them. There's a can of both in the Ute & the tube of strong stuff stays in my tackle bag.
It's way better than the other stuff on the market, I've tried loads & only Bushman's keeps sandflies at bay all day.
I was concerned about the 80% Deet content rumours about it being carcinogenic etc. It's safer than not using anything lol Dengue, Ross River virus etc are on the increase up here.
That's good to know. I'll stick with Bushmans and get the stronger one too.

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Chemist warehouse has it at a good price.Will get some for my daughter for her Vietnam trip next month.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Move to an area where mozzies are rare. I live on the NSW Mid North Coast and despite quite extensive inlets, wetlands etc I haven't even heard that "Annoying little trumpet in the ear" for over a year.
You don't mention your location in the side bar but if you are in Queensland you don't stand much of a chance.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 7:02 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I got bitten badly in Fiji by sand flies, I had a horrible reaction and was sore for nearly 10 days.
That was on the one night that I forgot to put on the repellant.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 7:09 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I've been bitten by a mozzie this afternoon cutting the back garden - so far (touch wood) haven't reacted as badly as when we first arrived - did apply bite cream as soon as I came in though so hopefully it'll stay that way
Old Aug 25th 2013, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

Repellents with picaridin in have been demonstrated to be as effective as DEET. I'm not too happy about using DEET a lot, though not sure if the rumours of it being carcinogenic are based on any truth. The 'natural' alternatives (like citronella based repellents) are not as good as DEET/picaridin so I don't bother with them.
Make sure you've not got any standing water around which mozzies can breed in - it only takes a tiny amount of water!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kapri
I got bitten badly in Fiji by sand flies, I had a horrible reaction and was sore for nearly 10 days.
That was on the one night that I forgot to put on the repellant.
Yeah, midges are the worst. Got bitten by them the first year here, but since then nothing. I hope I am immune to them now.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Wasps1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

I but this from amazon and it works a treat. I have read somewhere that the marines use it. I used to get eaten alive and touch wood it works on me. Avon dry skin oil
Old Aug 25th 2013, 9:56 am

Yeah, midges are the worst. Got bitten by them the first year here, but since then nothing. I hope I am immune to them now.
When we first arrived here to pick up our son in about 2002 he had just sailed down the Great Sandy Straits from Bundaberg to Inskip Point. He was so badly bitten by the Sandflies we had to tape a pair of socks on his hands to stop him scratching himself raw in his sleep. Tea-tree oil worked a little for the itching Calamine was better
Deb has a very bad reaction to them & comes up in large ugly looking blisters. I just get a small red mark that itches for a couple of hours
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by buzz
Repellents with picaridin in have been demonstrated to be as effective as DEET. I'm not too happy about using DEET a lot, though not sure if the rumours of it being carcinogenic are based on any truth. The 'natural' alternatives (like citronella based repellents) are not as good as DEET/picaridin so I don't bother with them.
Make sure you've not got any standing water around which mozzies can breed in - it only takes a tiny amount of water!
The rumours sprung up prior to the internet when people confused DEET with DDT. Nowadays you can look up Deet & find the full chemical composition ditto DDT which is a proven carcinogenic.
I've tried Repel-it which is a picaridin based product. It worked with mossies but appeared useless against sandflies, I was covered in red spots after a fishing trip.
I did try kidding Deb that beer had excellent repellent properties. Carlton Mid drinkers do suffer a lot less bites than Fourex Gold drinkers in an extensive study I carried out a while ago.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The rumours sprung up prior to the internet when people confused DEET with DDT. Nowadays you can look up Deet & find the full chemical composition ditto DDT which is a proven carcinogenic.
I've tried Repel-it which is a picaridin based product. It worked with mossies but appeared useless against sandflies, I was covered in red spots after a fishing trip.
I did try kidding Deb that beer had excellent repellent properties. Carlton Mid drinkers do suffer a lot less bites than Fourex Gold drinkers in an extensive study I carried out a while ago.
I've just remembered a home made repellent that really works (did for us, anyway). We were up at Horrocks Beach and the sandflies were in plague proportions. A local gave us their recipe, equal amounts of baby oil and Dettol, in a spray bottle. The two won't blend so you'll need to shake the bottle before spraying. The sandflies stayed well clear, apparently it works for mozzies too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.