Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The best future for our kids. Australia or UK?

The best future for our kids. Australia or UK?

Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The best future for our kids. Australia or UK?

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I had one in my garden a few months back. A green tree snake apparently which the catcher couldn't catch.

$100 later.
I told you my story - our catcher turned up visibly excited - yes just shy of arousal..crawled under the deck forgetting to take his net etc. no thought as to what he might do if coming face to face.

Got his van stuck in the ditch..I had to pull him out.

He did not find it so did not charge apart from a token 'flagfall'.

He was so glum that he turned up the next day on his own time and once more the snake eluded him.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I told you my story - our catcher turned up visibly excited - yes just shy of arousal..crawled under the deck forgetting to take his net etc. no thought as to what he might do if coming face to face.

Got his van stuck in the ditch..I had to pull him out.

He did not find it so did not charge apart from a token 'flagfall'.

He was so glum that he turned up the next day on his own time and once more the snake eluded him.
I enjoy your posts Badge . . . there's always some mucky undertone, if one looks hard enough.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:20 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Honest answer to the question,...if I had kids I would want hem to be brought up in the UK 100%
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:23 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by saveme
That is a bit insulting to present-day OZ, Quoll. The days when Aussies had to go to Europe to find 'culture' - when the likes of Clive James and Germaine Greer left - are long gone surely?

How do you define 'culture', 'the arts', 'history' etc? 'Julius Caesar is on at the Opera House this month, Richard III at another theatre in Dec, As You Like it I think at Belvoir St. The Sydney Opera House - the very name makes you think that, being Australia, it is just a pub?

London apart, I defy you to name any British city that offers more in the way of 'arts' than Sydney or Melbourne.

All the major cities have their cultural festivals featuring Aussie and overseas performers.

To say that a country of over 22 million is only interested in sport (not that I would mind personally) is an insult.

And if Australia's (European) history is 'irrelevant' because it only starts in 1770 would mean that studying the period post 1770 in the UK would be pointless too - Dickens, Austen, Bronte, et al all useless and modern.
Please please please tell me you are kidding
Old Oct 27th 2011, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
I enjoy your posts Badge . . . there's always some mucky undertone, if one looks hard enough.
Mucky?
His pole was unused for the day and clean. It was one of those rather smooth designs bereft of ridge and maintaining a grip was difficult. His was oiled - not a bad idea - I also have a pole of long standing use - typically standing upright in the garage which I keep oiled regularly. My wife is not as strong and has to concentrate that her hand does not slip on the downward stroke....etc etc you get the idea...

Originally Posted by Perthbum
I think Melbourne compares quite favourably to many UK cities.
I think it is possible for the denizen of a UK 'city' to have a chip about not coming up to scratch against Melbourne and definitely London in the same way Melbourne and Sydney get laughed at compared to world cities.

Takeaway London, and you have Liverpool, Manchester, and Brummy.
They're all north of Watford..and speaking for myself, I'd have trouble with the lingo...
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with him.... Melbourne leaves every other UK city for dead... and is far more people friendly than London. I wouldnt be here otherwise. Personally I've deliberately chosen to live in the most ethnically diverse part of Australia, So I really get the big city feel... And it works.. Complete with fantastic amenities, cultural differences, multi cuisine restaurants and plenty of open space. Far more Choice in a condensed area than I've lived in before....

My UK addresses were....Brockley, New Cross,. Forest Hill....South Norwood...Peckham.... Lewisham... and Milton Keynes.... You can add little stints in Rhyl/Prestatyn and Crawley to that list. None of them are on the Horizon with what I have here in Coburg/Brunswick.... Throw in the adjacent suburb of Preston and it's well presented SE Asian choices is where this region of Melbourne starts to really give London a run for it's money.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 28th 2011 at 4:42 am.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The best future for our kids. Australia or UK?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I totally agree with him.... Melbourne leaves every other UK city for dead... and is far more people friendly than London. I wouldnt be here otherwise. Personally I've deliberately chosen to live in the most ethnically diverse part of Australia So I really cGet the big city feel... And it works.. Complete with fantastic amenities, cultural differences, multi cuisine restaurants and plenty of open space.
Agreed Agreed Agreed!

And I live in the suburbs, albeit an older suburb....

BB
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

My UK addresses were....Brockley, New Cross,. Forest Hill....South Norwood...Peckham.... Lewisham... and Milton Keynes.... You can add little stints in Rhyl/Prestatyn and Crawley .
god, im not surprised you prefer it to be honest. All those shitty (south, east) London suburbs. I know because I've lived in a few of them myself.

and **** me, rhyl??? i went to school in colwyn bay so I know rhyl quite well. The highlight being 'waves in the big pool' at the Sun Centre. They dont mention that theres turds in the big pool too :-)
such a bleak place along the 'welsh riviera'.

you could have gone to edinburgh or oxford and possibly found the same level of zen

also you could have lived in a load of crappy parts of australia, then moved to chester and thought you'd gone to heaven

Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
god, im not surprised you prefer it to be honest. All those shitty (south, east) London suburbs. I know because I've lived in a few of them myself.

and **** me, rhyl??? i went to school in colwyn bay so I know rhyl quite well. The highlight being 'waves in the big pool' at the Sun Centre. They dont mention that theres turds in the big pool too :-)
such a bleak place along the 'welsh riviera'.

you could have gone to edinburgh or oxford and possibly found the same level of zen

also you could have lived in a load of crappy parts of australia, then moved to chester and thought you'd gone to heaven

If you look through my posts... My last visit to Chester was exactly what changed my proposed retirement plans for having a base in the UK.

Approx 12 Louts riding bikes at tourists to be exact... combined with the fact that I came so close to lamping one that I figured If I went back to the UK I'd end up in some kind of confrontation eventually. I know I really would as well, because of my own past personal history... you dont grow up where I grew up without street incidents.

Never even been close to a situation like that in 30 years of living here. No little 15 YO phucker on a push bike is going to intimidate me... I'm still sorry I never whacked him/them. I'm grateful my 83 yo father was with me.

Chester was exactly what put me off the UK forever.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 28th 2011 at 5:16 am.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Chester was exactly what put me off the UK forever.
LOL. see what happens when I pick a random city in the UK.
what are the odds.

maybe I'll buy a lotto ticket!

Last edited by In Exile; Oct 28th 2011 at 5:29 am.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by In Exile
LOL. see what happens when I pick a random city in the UK.
what are the odds.

maybe I'll buy a lotto ticket!

Yehp took my Prestatyn based father to a place I'd never seen before and always wanted to go.

Loved the look of the place, loved the market. Had a great meal etc etc. Didn't like the Park and Ride... .I often wonder if I was there on a one off day... or whether these kids often rode into town to "play" with the Tourists. Not a copper in sight.

BTW I also turned around from a local shopping trip at 8.30 pm from my Cousins supposedly upmarket Detached 4 Bed Place at Broadfield in Crawley (near the football ground) Because of louts around the shops. Apparently those problems are way across the road.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 28th 2011 at 6:03 am.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Forget the snakes. My kids and their frends are all over the place.
My kids can camp and do all that on an acre and there are tens and tens of k's of tracks that literally encircle the village. We never police them.
From memory your kids are 6, 4 and 2. Are you seriously trying to tell us that they are free to roam 'k's of tracks' alone without supervision or knowledge of where they are, or camp out at the back of your property alone?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was a wind up

Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
From memory your kids are 6, 4 and 2. Are you seriously trying to tell us that they are free to roam 'k's of tracks' alone without supervision or knowledge of where they are, or camp out at the back of your property alone?
similar age to mine, I have often considered it a good proposal. Especially at around 6pm at night when my head is usually pounding

Funny though, at 6 I was very much out and about alone in wales - we used to go out at 9 and had to turn up for sandwiches at 12 then be home before the sun hit this particular tree on the horizon. Its unheard of now, but we were in a big gang always with some 8 and 9 year olds and lived rurally, everyone did it.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
similar age to mine, I have often considered it a good proposal. Especially at around 6pm at night when my head is usually pounding

Funny though, at 6 I was very much out and about alone in wales - we used to go out at 9 and had to turn up for sandwiches at 12 then be home before the sun hit this particular tree on the horizon. Its unheard of now, but we were in a big gang always with some 8 and 9 year olds and lived rurally, everyone did it.
We did around our way too but not at 2 and 4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.