Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best deal on 4x4 ?

Best deal on 4x4 ?

Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by plumber
I used to drive suzuki grand vitara (i know hairdressers car )

:lecture:
Oh Plum that is what I have got

My mate said that there was a big auction place on the way to Brisbane. I dont know what that is like maybe one of the others might.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:50 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Into soft roader's are we?
Old Feb 29th 2004, 7:59 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, like 99% of 4WD owners (well certainly in the UK anyway), any car that I own probably will never see any off-road action. I just want the kudos of being able to drive a larger vehicle and look down on other drivers

Just kidding - actually want something that I can throw loads of gear into the back of (timber mostly) and also cart several people around if I need to.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 10:43 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best deal on 4x4 ?

Originally posted by dugongs
try this one and find the model you are looking at to see if the price is ok.

http://www.discountnewcars.com.au

we used these website to buy a new one and they just put you in contact with a local dealer who agrees to offer the price quoted.
Phew! We managed better than the website price. I thought we'd been done over.

Jane
Old Feb 29th 2004, 11:21 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

PLumber....

I drive a Nissan patrol GU ST3 4.2 TD, and its great. Plenty of room, handles off road like the best of them (many say that for long trips in the bush it IS the best of them). The drivetrain is bombproof, suspension is good enough for 90% of owners and the engine reliable.

The Landcruiser 100 series is the Toyota equivilent. More comfy on road, still just as able to get you down practically any route in aus. A few little niggles, such as the independant front suspention.....makes the ride FAR nicer on the road, and normally better on corrugations, but it can limit the car on serious offroad where greater wheel articulation is required. Price is another niggle....

If buying new...the Toyota will depreciate far less, and is generally regarded as the better investment. Nissan will loose a fair bit as soon as you leave the showroom.

If you want a Patrol, buy it nearly new (like i did ) and you will save a heap and get a vehicle that has done next to no K's.

The patrol 3 litre is meant to be an excellent combo, i went for the 4.2 as i do alot of towing.

I did alot of research before deciding on a patrol, and i am very pleased with the result. I would say though....if i had the extra $15000 needed to get a Landcruiser of the same spec i would have done, but right now i just couldn't afford it.

Any Q's.....gimme a shout.

Last edited by PeteY; Feb 29th 2004 at 11:55 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 1:44 am
Just Joined

jamiemac is on a distinguished road
Default Small wife small car syndrome

We have 2 kids and found our estate car in UK too small.

So when we came over here last May we eventually blew Au$25k on a nearly new Jeep Grand Chreokee and its been great. Very comfortable and enough standard extras while still being tough enough to go off road (not that I would know about off pisting as our biggest hill is our driveway). Not as big as the ubiquitous Landcruiser that seems to rule Australia (I think Landcruisers are ace, but wife said they are just too big).

Came down to a Toyota Prado, Jeep Grand Cherokee or Subaru Forester. Only gripe with the Jeep is perm 4 wheel drive hits the mpg a bit, but then pertrol here is soo damn cheap!

Tried a Jeep Chrokee (aka drawf carrier - no offense to any vertically challenged friends) and it was awful. No home comforts, flimsy steering wheel, ridiclous rear passenger doors and limited head room.

Cheers
Old Mar 1st 2004, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Second hand 4x4s aren't much cheaper than new, unless you buy a really old one.
Jane

Not disagreeing Jand 'cos I'm not in Brissie, but in Perth I paid 15k less than MRP for a year old Pajero. I reckon thats pretty cheap.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

I quite like the look for the X-Trail. Anybody done one of these Aussie Trek Series trips? Looks like fun:

http://www.nissan.com.au/4x4_index.asp
Old Mar 1st 2004, 8:03 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Test drove a hyundai Terrarcon auto 2.9 turbo diesel ....very impressed.

Still think i'll settle for patrol 3td !
Old Mar 1st 2004, 9:22 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cruisey
I quite like the look for the X-Trail. Anybody done one of these Aussie Trek Series trips? Looks like fun:

We have one and its excellent. We have used it off road a fair bit and its as good for both on and off. Its also doing the best in the smaller off road vehicle catogories in "what car" etc.
I wanted a patrol but couldn't justify the sheer size of it for suburban driving. Plus the fact i needed a bloody step ladder to get in it!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 9:51 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

We all know that it's our better half that makes all the decisions !

But this is important (very)

What's the best deal been found so far on a new 4x4?

eg/ Nissan patrol LWB $43000.00

all the best plum.

ps will read replies later....whole house must be spotless by the time she get's back from stables !!!!( she who must be obeyed )

:scared: plumbers scare easy!
www.autocar.com.au

www.nissan.com.au

www.ishouldhavegotashogun.cucumin
Old Mar 1st 2004, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Ambrose is an unknown quantity at this point

We all know that it's our better half that makes all the decisions !

But this is important (very)

What's the best deal been found so far on a new 4x4?

eg/ Nissan patrol LWB $43000.00

all the best plum.

ps will read replies later....whole house must be spotless by the time she get's back from stables !!!!( she who must be obeyed )

:scared: plumbers scare easy!
Just remember when you buy this beast to keep left please.

Old Mar 1st 2004, 10:34 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by cruisey

Great link....thanks!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 10:34 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nibbs
Not disagreeing Jand 'cos I'm not in Brissie, but in Perth I paid 15k less than MRP for a year old Pajero. I reckon thats pretty cheap.
That is a good deal. It must be different here, unless we just picked a bad week to look in the papers!

Jane
Old Mar 1st 2004, 10:35 pm
A Male Member

Originally posted by PeteY
Great link....thanks!
Heyyyy, i just looked at the May 2003 trek!! I did it about 3 weeks ago, its about a 45 min drive from where i live!!