Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best credit cards for airmiles or alike

Best credit cards for airmiles or alike

Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Mummyof3 will become famous soon enoughMummyof3 will become famous soon enough
Default Best credit cards for airmiles or alike

Hi - we are happily settled here - 6 years this crimbo! but with 5 airfares to find to pop back to ole blighty I had been thinking of cedit card rewards that can be used for flights.... so wondered if anybody had / knew of any good ones in terms of building up airmiles or whatever each airline calls them these days.
Thanks guys
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:59 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best credit cards for airmiles or alike

QFF cost of Return AUS-UK is 128,000

With Citibank platinum - thats $128,000 spending ($1=1pt) - but the annual fee is quite high...

Woolworths Ready Credit offer $1=1pt (no monthly ceiling on number of poitns earnt) for a much lower fee.

Lots of other cards have a slightly lower fee but offer $2=1pt i.e. $256,000 per return flight.

Some accounts offer a poor earning Visa/Master card combined with a high ($1=1.5 pt) AMEX card - This might work for you if you can be bothered trying to offer everywhere you shop an AMEX card and dont mind being told to f*&k off by every other retailer you visit.

Last time I looked (and I could be wrong here) the 'cost' of a return flight using Emirates or Virgin points was around 192,000 - and there were a number of credit card providers offering $1=1.5 points deals i.e. $128,000 per return flight.

In all cases make sure there no monthly limit to the number of points you can accrue or you might find too much of your CC spending ends up 'unmetered'!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:10 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few offers about at the moment. ANZ are offering 32000 bonus points if you take out their QFF Visa Platinum.

I personally use the Woolies Credit Card for all my spending and have resigned myself to waiting years to get a return flight after I spend all my current points early next year for a flight back to the UK!

For a family of five.....you'd have to fly Qantas regularly to build up points or spend half a million dollars....
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:22 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tking
...or spend half a million dollars....
I've wondered about this - its a shame you cant use a credit card when buying a house. Even car dealers get shirty if you try and pay more than about a $5k deposit with a CC.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Woolies .... I'll have to try that

In the UK my credit card gave freq flyer miles with no fee. Typical Australia stings you for everything.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I recently got the Citibank Platinum with 60k QFF sign up offer - not sure if it's still running - half price annual fee as well - there is another thread that covers it though. In total it was $174 for the 60k points.

I'd think long & hard before becoming a slave to QFF though. It's an incredibly stingy program with excessive charges when you want to redeem a 'free' seat.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Coles Source Card.
If you pay 50bucks a year for it, you enrol on airmiles extra fast or whatever it is called.
We have done quite well with it.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the Woolies card is the best at the moment. You get 1pt per dollar plus it's also your rewards card so you get points for shopping at Woolworths too.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:59 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummyof3
Hi - we are happily settled here - 6 years this crimbo! but with 5 airfares to find to pop back to ole blighty I had been thinking of cedit card rewards that can be used for flights.... so wondered if anybody had / knew of any good ones in terms of building up airmiles or whatever each airline calls them these days.
Thanks guys
We have the Singapore Airlines and Earth cards from Westpac. The Singapore Airlines card used to be fantastic giving $1 = 1 point but like most they have now dropped to $2 = 1 point. The Earth card we only got to try and accumulate some miles to use domestically with Qantas.

I'd be very careful about which airline you go with as some can be a nightmare trying to book seats with points. Our experiences with Virgin some years ago were horrific but Singapore Airlines have been fantastic; we've been back to the UK twice recently and have flown family out to see us 3 times now and it was as easy as... and most of the flights were around the Christmas peak...