Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the best credit card and air miles

the best credit card and air miles

Old May 11th 2007, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to all
Default the best credit card and air miles

hi everyone,

we are planning to get a cretit card in aus. we want one that earns you the most air miles.

any ideas, we are with commonwealth bank

thanks

kate
Old May 11th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice
Default Re: the best credit card and air miles

Hi Kate

We have a American express card which we get frequent flier points with qantas now where are the shops ha ha

Vicki
Old May 11th 2007, 11:28 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateandderek2
hi everyone,

we are planning to get a cretit card in aus. we want one that earns you the most air miles.

thanks

kate
Try FlyerTalk for info regarding the points stuff, and then InfoChoice to see what cards give you what else, etc...

HTH
Old May 11th 2007, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

kateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to allkateandderek2 is a name known to all

hi vicki,

the girls at work said about american express as well. all we want the visa for is for booking flights etc over the internet.

how many points do you get flying one way back from the uk? do you get enough for a free flight internally in aus

kate.
Old May 12th 2007, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Hi Kate

Try this link https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/do/...PointsRedeemed

we have done qantas before and have amassed 64,000 pts and we are going to use them for a holiday later this year we are thinking of ayers rock
however when using your points there are only so many seats available on flights so you have to book early

I Hope this helps
when are you coming? we are you settling?
Vicki
Old May 12th 2007, 2:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateandderek2
hi everyone,

thanks

kate
I have a Citibank card that gives 1 Qantas mile for every $ spent with no limit. It also has no annual fee.
I also have an ANZ card that gives 1 Qantas mile per $ spent for the first $2500 and then 1 point for every $2 spent up to $5000. This card has an annual fee but I have it because it was linked to my ex-mortgage. I will probably get rid of this card when I get a better limit on the Citibank card.
I buy everything through these cards. Utilities, Foxtel, broadband, school fees, diesel etc. After 15 months we nearly have enough points for flights to the East Coast for all 3 of us. So it's worth doing.
Old May 12th 2007, 4:42 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Qantas actually have one of the worst frequent flyer programs around. If thinking American Express then consider an Amex card that simply offers membership reward points. These can be transferred over to Singapore, Virgin Atlantic, Malaysian and other airline frequent flyer points - so you can choose really at the time which airline to use based on cost and availability.

Thats if you want to think about using miles for upgrades and tickets internationally (such as to return to the UK).

Internally velocity is pretty hard to beat from the NAB with a visa option which is more flexible than Amex. Although Amex is good in Australia in terms of most places accepting it, for large purchases its often loaded by the commission charge made by the merchant services provider.
Old May 13th 2007, 11:43 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We use Amex for 1.5 points per dollar spent, no upper limit, followed by an ANZ card which we use if they don't take Amex - 1 point per dollar up to about $1500 I think then 1 point per $2.

we use them for EVERYTHING and the points just pile up.
Old May 13th 2007, 11:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
We use Amex for 1.5 points per dollar spent, no upper limit, followed by an ANZ card which we use if they don't take Amex - 1 point per dollar up to about $1500 I think then 1 point per $2.

The ANZ card is 1 point/$ up to $2500, then 1point/$2 for the next $2500.
Agree about putting everything through your cards. They soon add up.
Old May 13th 2007, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth

Do the supermarkets and dept stores take amex? Can you use it to pay bills?
Old May 14th 2007, 12:44 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I have a Citibank card that gives 1 Qantas mile for every $ spent with no limit. It also has no annual fee.
I also have an ANZ card that gives 1 Qantas mile per $ spent for the first $2500 and then 1 point for every $2 spent up to $5000. This card has an annual fee but I have it because it was linked to my ex-mortgage. I will probably get rid of this card when I get a better limit on the Citibank card.
I buy everything through these cards. Utilities, Foxtel, broadband, school fees, diesel etc. After 15 months we nearly have enough points for flights to the East Coast for all 3 of us. So it's worth doing.
I agree, stick everything possible on it if you can, we recently got the same Citibank card you've mentioned to get the 1 for 1 points.
I have a Westpac one linked to the mortgage, but the changed the points set up a couple of years ago and dropped it to 1 point for $2.
Hence why we changed to the Citibank one when there was that zero annual fee ever offer on a few months back.
I think we have about 150,000 points now which is enough for one of us to get back to the UK if there's an emergency (subject to getting a seat!)
Old May 14th 2007, 1:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by steve99
I agree, stick everything possible on it if you can, we recently got the same Citibank card you've mentioned to get the 1 for 1 points.
I have a Westpac one linked to the mortgage, but the changed the points set up a couple of years ago and dropped it to 1 point for $2.
Hence why we changed to the Citibank one when there was that zero annual fee ever offer on a few months back.
I think we have about 150,000 points now which is enough for one of us to get back to the UK if there's an emergency (subject to getting a seat!)
It's suprising much the points add up. It also enables you to budget easier when you put everything through a CC as all your expense is in one bill. It's also suprising to see how much we actually do spend!
Old May 14th 2007, 1:11 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's also suprising to see how much we actually do spend!
I know it can be scary some months, eating out is where we tend to over indulge!
Old May 14th 2007, 1:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I know it can be scary some months, eating out is where we tend to over indulge!
This was also a shock to me -"How much?!" is my reaction to every CC statement that I open.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:47 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

...I think we have about 150,000 points now which is enough for one of us to get back to the UK if there's an emergency (subject to getting a seat!)
Getting a seat can be a nightmare...! 6 weeks ago we tried to book a return flight to London for my wife with Virgin in November for 3 weeks and had all sorts of trouble... Eventually managed it but with a 2 day stop over in Hong Kong on the way back...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.