Reload this Page >

Best courses to study in Aus to gain PR

Best courses to study in Aus to gain PR

Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

croc83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best courses to study in Aus to gain PR

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest the best topics/courses to study in Aus in order to secure PR. I have a background in business and accountancy but I am willing to change career completely in order to get into Aus. I'm looking at Masters of Professional Accountancy at the moment but any cheaper/quicker/easier options would be great.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best courses to study in Aus to gain PR

Originally Posted by croc83
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest the best topics/courses to study in Aus in order to secure PR. I have a background in business and accountancy but I am willing to change career completely in order to get into Aus. I'm looking at Masters of Professional Accountancy at the moment but any cheaper/quicker/easier options would be great.

Nursing.
Just about the only job that you can guarantee will stay on the migration lists continuously after everything else has been on and off and back again.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Surely passing a course won't guarantee PR? I'd have thought you'd need years of relevant work experience as well?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Well I have 3 years experience in Accounts plus a Bachelors degree in Business Studies. My degree doesn't meet the requirements but if i did a masters i would meet the skills assessment requirements. I'm just looking for a course which would get me PR/sponsorship at the end of it and would look at other careers other than accountancy but it may be my only option.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin did her master in accountancy as a international student it cost her an arm and leg, she is doing her charter accountancy right now & working at the same time she told me at the time it wasn't just fee which cost a lot the books were so expensive too but she got her PR.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Nursing. Nothing else (unless you want to really spend and train to be a dr) is the only job which would be a guarantee. Assuming you pass....
Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Surely passing a course won't guarantee PR? I'd have thought you'd need years of relevant work experience as well?
Wasn't the case while back. Even come across folk with Tafe qualifications that got to stat on. Bit of a racket a few years back. Hopefully has tightened up but there are still ways to get to stay on if the desire is there.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have been looking at the 885 visa:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/885/eligibility-specific-experience.htm

Obviously providing the rules stay as they are, and after completing a 2 year master of professional accounting in Australia and my 3yrs work experience in UK can anyone tell me if I would be eligible for this visa?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have been looking at the 885 visa:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/885/eligibility-specific-experience.htm

Obviously providing the rules stay as they are, and after completing a 2 year master of professional accounting in Australia and my 3yrs work experience in UK can anyone tell me if I would be eligible for this visa?
The problem is not knowing if the rules will stay as they are. The last time there was a big overhaul of the skills lists many people who were here studying suddenly found that their subject no longer qualified them for a PR visa.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Does anyone know about the probability of Accountant staying on the skills list?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

You would be eligable for the 885 visa IF you can satisfy the skills assessment for that job. That part changed HUGELY for my job after I finished my course (but before I could apply).
Nobody on here can predict what will happen 2-3 years in the future. It would all be total guess work.

I personally am guessing that by that time the 885 visa may have been scrapped leaving the only pr option for students being employer sponsored visas.
This is just guessing though, but it really does seem to be the way they are heading.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point

How about teaching? My wife is a teacher and that is what we were hoping to use?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weezypenguin
How about teaching? My wife is a teacher and that is what we were hoping to use?
Nope, teachers not in demand - not unless you fancy some years out in the mulga which isnt exactly every migrant's dream of paradise. Even if you can get a visa, getting a permanent job in a place you feel you might want to live, can be a bit of a challenge.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

Hi all,

Is there a reason you want to study?

You could get a job with 457 sponsorship and apply for PR when you're eligible for it after two(?) years.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know about the probability of Accountant staying on the skills list?
It's about from here to there, roughly. DIAC don't know, no one else does either.

I wouldn't rely on any study with a plan for migrating, not even nursing because if you're not in nursing already it's presumably because you're not 'into' nursing and so will make a crap nurse - imo anyway. Why spend 5+ years studying for something on the offchance you may get a visa off the back of it? It's just not worth it, too many variables and Australia is just another first world country, I love it but it's not the be all and end all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.