Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best conversion plug UK to AU?

Best conversion plug UK to AU?

Old Aug 23rd 2015, 11:24 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best conversion plug UK to AU?

Originally Posted by paulry
Sounds like you have similar annoyances in the US. Our plugs in Australia have their cords coming out at pretty much every direction other than the neat bottom-down configuration and are annoying when you have mixed (many cord-directioned) plugs on a multiple socket plug point. Extension lead sockets/socket strips are very poor quality too resulting in frequent shorts. When I buy a house later this year/early next, I'm going to get UK plug points fitted alongside nearly all of the Aussie ones.

I'm not sure you'll be able to do this, as the UK sockets won't be certified to Australian standards, despite generally being a better and safer design. You may find that your Aussie electrician will be reluctant to touch them. I certainly like the idea though.

I have some powerboards that have 'travel' style sockets and accept pretty much anything from anywhere. I bought them in Malaysia a couple of years ago, and are great for those items that I haven't converted. They are also great for when UK friends come to visit - they don't need to worry about adaptors either.

S
Old Aug 24th 2015, 12:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'm not sure you'll be able to do this, as the UK sockets won't be certified to Australian standards, despite generally being a better and safer design. You may find that your Aussie electrician will be reluctant to touch them. I certainly like the idea though.

I have some powerboards that have 'travel' style sockets and accept pretty much anything from anywhere. I bought them in Malaysia a couple of years ago, and are great for those items that I haven't converted. They are also great for when UK friends come to visit - they don't need to worry about adaptors either.

S
Had a look through their catalogue and as I thought, Clipsal sell them:
Clipsal - E25 - Twin Switch Socket Outlet, 250V, 13A

Australian plugs are shite but nothing wrong with the GPOs
Old Aug 24th 2015, 12:48 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Had a look through their catalogue and as I thought, Clipsal sell them:
Clipsal - E25 - Twin Switch Socket Outlet, 250V, 13A

Australian plugs are shite but nothing wrong with the GPOs

Oh, cool. I may try and get a couple of those fitted in my house then.

S
Old Aug 24th 2015, 12:54 am
has lost The Game

Oh, cool. I may try and get a couple of those fitted in my house then.

S

Though in saying that, most Australian domestic wiring is 10A, so the sparky may insist on installing 15A wiring as well, before he puts the 13A socket on.

I do agree on the Aussie plugs and sockets. They really are the most cack-handed and dreadful design I have encountered.

S
Old Aug 24th 2015, 1:14 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree on the Aussie plugs and sockets. They really are the most cack-handed and dreadful design I have encountered
Here's a thought. We need a replacement standard:
  • global in extent
  • backwards compatible with older style plugs (eg with universal holes)
  • capable of delivering lower voltage (eg 5v) as well as mains (so no need for wall warts). 110 - 240v auto switchable.
  • capable of shifting data, etc. - both ways
  • capable of being controlled by data (switched etc.)
  • with usage metering included and reported
  • plugs not being bulky, nor liable to spear the unwary foot
Old Aug 24th 2015, 4:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Though in saying that, most Australian domestic wiring is 10A, so the sparky may insist on installing 15A wiring as well, before he puts the 13A socket on.

I do agree on the Aussie plugs and sockets. They really are the most cack-handed and dreadful design I have encountered.

S
Domestic socket circuits using 2.5mm2 twin and earth are rated at up to about 27A - depending on how the cabling is installed

The MCB protecting a circuit (the cabling and wiring basically) is rated at 16A - although 20A is feasible

The maximum rating of a domestic appliance is 10A - which is why you can usually run multiple appliances on one circuit without the MCB tripping

In the UK, 13A appliances are allowed on the same size wiring - in South Africa it's 16A

We can't have fast boil kettles like they have in the UK because of this
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

S
I wonder what the position would be if someone with UK power sockets fitted in their house then suffers an electrical house fire. Would insurers be able to wriggle off the hook on the basis of the house being fitted with non-Aussie certified sockets?
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

I wonder what the position would be if someone with UK power sockets fitted in their house then suffers an electrical house fire. Would insurers be able to wriggle off the hook on the basis of the house being fitted with non-Aussie certified sockets?

If you look at the link that I posted, you will see that Clipsal sell UK-style GPOs locally. These will be certified for use here - especially from a company like Clipsal

No worries
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:35 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you look at the link that I posted, you will see that Clipsal sell UK-style GPOs locally. These will be certified for use here - especially from a company like Clipsal

No worries
Cool!

What would the Aussie standard certification mark for these sockets be?
Old Aug 24th 2015, 1:13 pm
has lost The Game

Cool!

What would the Aussie standard certification mark for these sockets be?
Are you writing an essay?

If in doubt, call Clipsal - but the link that Zulu posted looks pretty good. I had assumed you were importing LECs from the UK

S
Old Aug 24th 2015, 5:33 pm
Banned

Are you writing an essay?

If in doubt, call Clipsal - but the link that Zulu posted looks pretty good. I had assumed you were importing LECs from the UK

S
I'll bet we could write a book on it. Agreed, the link does look good but I just want to avoid running foul of regulations should many years from now we have an insurance claim. Shortly after we moved here in 2010, our tenants in the UK had a house fire which destroyed the kitchen. Our insurers tried to wriggle out of the cover we had with them because of the non compliant lean-to at the back of the house. Do we have anything in Australia like the UK's BSI or South Africa's SABS? I might give Clipsal a call before I buy.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 5:49 pm
Banned

it would be good if we could get something like this that also fits Aussie plugs.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 5:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

I'll bet we could write a book on it. Agreed, the link does look good but I just want to avoid running foul of regulations should many years from now we have an insurance claim. Shortly after we moved here in 2010, our tenants in the UK had a house fire which destroyed the kitchen. Our insurers tried to wriggle out of the cover we had with them because of the non compliant lean-to at the back of the house. Do we have anything in Australia like the UK's BSI or South Africa's SABS? I might give Clipsal a call before I buy.
Nerd post of the day:

AS/NZS is the local body governing standards

AS/NZS 3112 is the standard covering socket outlets

Standards covering electrical installations and equipment are much of a muchness in most western countries

Last edited by Amazulu; Aug 25th 2015 at 5:57 am.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:37 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

it would be good if we could get something like this that also fits Aussie plugs.
That does fit Oz plugs.

Not sure what the separate 2 pin socket is for, anything that fits there should fit in the main as well. It's similar to my concept above, but missing the low voltage and data pathways.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 6:49 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by GarryP
That does fit Oz plugs.

Not sure what the separate 2 pin socket is for, anything that fits there should fit in the main as well. It's similar to my concept above, but missing the low voltage and data pathways.

I'm surprised that nobody has really made a commercial success of something like this - adoption in the hotel industry would be an awesome coup...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.