British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Best comprehensive car insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/best-comprehensive-car-insurance-752287/)

MAR001 Mar 21st 2012 9:41 am

Best comprehensive car insurance

Hi All!
Finally we bought a brand new small car and I am wondering if anyone can recommend the best issuance (Value/brand) or any other recommendation or experience to share regarding Car insurance.

Thanks in advance!

MAR

CharleneG Mar 25th 2012 10:08 am

Re: Best comprehensive car insurance

Originally Posted by MAR001 (Post 9964437)
Hi All!
Finally we bought a brand new small car and I am wondering if anyone can recommend the best issuance (Value/brand) or any other recommendation or experience to share regarding Car insurance.

Thanks in advance!

MAR

Hi
I had a Ford Fiesta insured with Allianz, late last year I changed my car to a new VW Golf and they were still the best value, in Melbourne at least.

Hope this helps.
Charlene

andrew63 Mar 25th 2012 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by MAR001 (Post 9964437)
Hi All!

Thanks in advance!

MAR

NOT ALLIANZ.
They are "cheap" because of many clauses in their fine print such as my wife and I were both fully comp with them. My wife managed to drive into my parked car in the garage. Guess what - fine print "crashes between people living together is not covered". I even lost my no claims bonus! Avoid them like the plague.
Take home message - you will get what you pay for.

harrip Mar 26th 2012 3:06 am

I get on well with AAMI. They do not seem to quibble over claims, and I've had a few. Price might not be the cheapest but I'm happy to go with them. I believe for new cars they now do a 2 year replacement rather than 12 months if a car is a right-off following an accident.

Of course, I am sure there will be some that will write NOT AAAMI in red below, but that's just their opinion too.

chris955 Mar 26th 2012 3:10 am

We are insured with Virgin and Bingle, after the hail last year both cars were quite badly dented and both companies dealt with the repairs quickly and easily. I really wouldnt bother with any of the 'big boys' to be honest, they tend to cover you for all sorts of things you will never need.

KJCherokee Mar 26th 2012 5:41 am

Is it just the car you have insured? Most companies will give good rates if you package all your insurances with them. We have house, contents and two cars with the RACQ and got a much better deal than when we had them all with separate companies.

chris955 Mar 26th 2012 6:17 am

I love the fact that RACQ give you 10% discount if you have been a member for something like 30 years :lol: we found them so much more expensive overall.