Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best company to use for transfering money

Best company to use for transfering money

Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:38 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Best company to use for transfering money

Just a quickie to ask who you thought the best exchange company was to use?

We are looking to transfer over some well earned GBP in a few weeks so any advice would be most welcomed

Rob
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:41 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best company to use for transfering money

We have always used HIFX (hifx.com.au or hifx.co.uk) They are pretty good and you can haggle them in an upwards direction.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone

We are looking to transfer over some well earned GBP in a few weeks so any advice would be most welcomed

Rob
just search this forum for transfers-loads of past threads about this!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Check out Tranzfers........great rates, and very very easy to do (you can do it all online if you like).

SS
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Check out Tranzfers........great rates, and very very easy to do (you can do it all online if you like).

SS
They are good but would also suggest the bank your money is with now. We needed to move money over quickly when we were buying our house. We didn't have internet at the time and I couldn't find the account details. We rang First Direct and asked what their exchange rate was - crap basically - but we asked what they would give for the amount we wanted to transfer and they came back with an excellent rate which we went with and later found it was better than HiFX and Tranzfers and they charged us very little and we had it within a couple of days.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

WE used hifx and thought it was quite a good service and will use them to swap the rest of our money when the exchange rate gets better ( please )
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:37 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

>£5000 - www.hifx.co.uk

<£5000 - www.tranzfers.com

PS If you're gonna use Tranzfers, PM me and I'll send you a link so I get referral points
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:43 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Rob
We opened a Migrant Account with the commonwealth bank and used them to change our money. They consistently were offering a slightly better rate than HIFX and gave us an excellent service. So easy when we got to this end - account opened and cards ready the day we arrived. Couldn't fault them.

Carolyn
Old Jan 12th 2006, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I bank with Barclays - which is the same bank as Tranzfers have their account with. Did a deal on a Thursday - popped into branch where they transferred my money into their account (same day as it's the same bank). Money was in my Oz account next day.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 12:19 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Angry Re: Best company to use for transfering money

Rob
Hi,
I've posted about this before.....but-can't reccommend HiFX at all. 'lost' our money in the system for ages and were rude and unhelpful, we spent a fortune on mobile phone bills trying to get them to find the money and admit the web site wasn't working. Couldn't get them to grasp we were in Australia and wanted our money! Would personally crawl over hot coals before I'd use them ........just my opinion!

Phil x
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

We used Commonwealth Bank over many years (they only stopped offering us the transfer facility because it is only intended for those in the process of migrating soon. We transferred money regularly from UK to Oz with CBA for over 10 years!). I couldn't fault them (and I'm talking over 50 transfers - I remember when you could buy up to and slightly over $3 with £1 so it made sense for us to save in $'s and invest in Oz property). The great thing with CBA is that they only charge a flat fee (used to be £10) so it doesn't matter how much you transfer although the rate will vary according to the amount you want to transfer. Firms such as HIFX say they don't charge a fee but it is built into their rate (just like a supermarket puts a little onto prices for carrier bags and then gives them away 'free').

Since being metaphorically ditched by CBA we've used HIFX on a number of occasions and personally had no problems with them at all. I do know that on the couple of times I compared the CBA offered a slightly better rate but that experience was not in the last 2 years so it is only anecdotal.

I would also agree that there are other firms which might be more suitable for small amounts such as Tranzfers. HIFX are not really interested in transfers of less than £10K I would say.

That's my experience FWIW.

OzTennis
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
We used Commonwealth Bank over many years (they only stopped offering us the transfer facility because it is only intended for those in the process of migrating soon. We transferred money regularly from UK to Oz with CBA for over 10 years!). I couldn't fault them (and I'm talking over 50 transfers - I remember when you could buy up to and slightly over $3 with £1 so it made sense for us to save in $'s and invest in Oz property). The great thing with CBA is that they only charge a flat fee (used to be £10) so it doesn't matter how much you transfer although the rate will vary according to the amount you want to transfer. Firms such as HIFX say they don't charge a fee but it is built into their rate (just like a supermarket puts a little onto prices for carrier bags and then gives them away 'free').

Since being metaphorically ditched by CBA we've used HIFX on a number of occasions and personally had no problems with them at all. I do know that on the couple of times I compared the CBA offered a slightly better rate but that experience was not in the last 2 years so it is only anecdotal.

I would also agree that there are other firms which might be more suitable for small amounts such as Tranzfers. HIFX are not really interested in transfers of less than £10K I would say.

That's my experience FWIW.

OzTennis

HIFX for us, found it to be very straight forward with a great service. We have since opened an account with the Commonwealth Bank, yet to use their migrant transfer yet, probably try that later this year when we actually move to Brisbane.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:21 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info.

We are initially looking to transfer in excess of 100K

Rob
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:25 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Would Tranzfers offer the same rate as HIFX and Smart Exchage to transfer a large amount of cash?

Rob
Old Jan 14th 2006, 11:27 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
>£5000 - www.hifx.co.uk

<£5000 - www.tranzfers.com

PS If you're gonna use Tranzfers, PM me and I'll send you a link so I get referral points
...so you can get a free i pod?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.