Best company for chaging £ to AUS$

Best company for chaging £ to AUS$

Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:24 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best company for changing £ to AUS$

Hi all,

We are emigrating to Sydney in about 6 weeks and once our house sale goes through at the end of April we would like to convert our pounds to aussie dollars.

Can anyone advise what companies offer the best rates. I have been in touch with HIFX but don't really know of any others to get a rate comparison.

Also, if we transfer a lump sum into our australian account will we pay any tax? Can you transfer more than once?

Thanks

Last edited by TOB; Apr 14th 2005 at 2:58 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:27 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best company for chaging £ to AUS$

we were recommended www.currenciesdirect.com by a friend, might be worth seeng what their rates are as a comparison.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:00 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that.

Someone I know has just bought a place in Spain and used them and apparently they are quite good. I'll take a look at the website.

Thanks

Originally Posted by bridiej
we were recommended www.currenciesdirect.com by a friend, might be worth seeng what their rates are as a comparison.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:15 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TOB
Thanks for that.

Someone I know has just bought a place in Spain and used them and apparently they are quite good. I'll take a look at the website.

Thanks
Ditto!!!! Spooky.... :scared:
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:26 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Ditto!!!! Spooky.... :scared:

Just had a look at their site and their rates look very favourable. I'll have to add it to my rapidly expanding Oz bookmarks
Old Apr 14th 2005, 6:04 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

HIfx are good for big deals 30k+ but Tranzfers.com are also very good i use them regularly. I used hifx for my bond payment but have used tranzfers since we got here because they're easy to use (all online). Tranzfers are far easier for regular transactions or smaller amounts and very comparable rates.

Bear in mind its hard to move money once you are here unless you set it all up before you leave.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Best company for changing £ to AUS$

Originally Posted by TOB
Hi all,

We are emigrating to Sydney in about 6 weeks and once our house sale goes through at the end of April we would like to convert our pounds to aussie dollars.

Can anyone advise what companies offer the best rates. I have been in touch with HIFX but don't really know of any others to get a rate comparison.

Also, if we transfer a lump sum into our australian account will we pay any tax? Can you transfer more than once?

Thanks
Don't forget that if you are to transfer more than 75k (£'s) to ask for a commercial rate the difference is thousands.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:36 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Best company for changing £ to AUS$

Originally Posted by TOB
Hi all,

Thanks
Hi,

we used HiFx when we moved 3 months ago and they were awful!! Technical problems and completely unhelpful staff cost us over a two week wait for our money, a lot of stress and a huge mobile phone bill :scared: ......only my experience though.

Good Luck
Phil x
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Ditto We used HIFX and would have been stranded in Aus with no money if it wasnt for friends. Took ages and loads of phone calls before we actually saw the money in our account
Mary
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:00 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Re: Best company for chaging £ to AUS$

Originally Posted by marysidey
Ditto We used HIFX and would have been stranded in Aus with no money if it wasnt for friends. Took ages and loads of phone calls before we actually saw the money in our account
Mary

Sooo glad we weren't the only ones (though I'm sorry you had to go through it too!) I thought they were awful considering the size of the company.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:51 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

We used Moneycorp - they always beat HIFX's best rate and we had no problems with the transfers. They do charge a GBP15 transfer fee - whereas HIFX don't - but if you're transferring a largish amount the impovement in forex rate soon more than cancels it out.

www.moneycorp.co.uk

Cheers

GLR
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:15 am
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best company for changing £ to AUS$

Originally Posted by TOB
Hi all,

Thanks
We used HFIX. Fixed a decent rate over the phone (2.46) and transferred the money straight into our Westpac account, which we opened from the UK. Very smooth and slick, unlike some others who had problems with them in this thread. I also transferred our bond using Westpac and that went OK as well, money was in the Commonwealth account 2 days later.

TBEB
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Sophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura aboutSophie Louise has a spectacular aura about

Someone mentioned it was harder to transfer the English money once you're in Oz. Why is this? The exchange rate isn't great at the moment, and I was planning on leaving it in the UK until it got a bit better...

Sophie
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice
Default Re: Best company for changing £ to AUS$

Originally Posted by TOB
Hi all,

Thanks
Not used them (except for holiday money), but when I met one of their reps at Sandown he told me they would beat any exchange rate other companies offer...

http://www.travelex.co.uk/personal/B...asp?content=ba

Gav