Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The best city to live: a lady's point of view

The best city to live: a lady's point of view

Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

povar81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The best city to live: a lady's point of view

My wife still has doubts as for migration process, so I'd like to impress her by demonstrating the best place to live for her there (I'm not too fastidious myself).
The question is: what's the city with sufficient quantity of pharmacies, all kinds of boutiques, a lot of supermarkets and all the other stuff for a real lady.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: The best city to live: a lady's point of view

And one more thing: what region doesn't have too many huge insects like spiders etc.?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by povar81
My wife still has doubts as for migration process, so I'd like to impress her by demonstrating the best place to live for her there (I'm not too fastidious myself).
The question is: what's the city with sufficient quantity of pharmacies, all kinds of boutiques, a lot of supermarkets and all the other stuff for a real lady.
I think Melbourne is the city to go for you.....
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by caliburn
I think Melbourne is the city to go for you.....
Thanks, but I believe she'd like it to be a more climate-stable city, I heard that weather changes there every 15 minutes.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:17 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Wagga Wagga the Paris of outback N.S.W
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

what sort of lady goes to a pharmacy - I get the staff to do the mundane stuff
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

And one more thing: what region doesn't have too many huge insects like spiders etc.?
Antarctica. The weather is stable and none of those pesky insects like spiders. There are fewer boutiques than some other regions, but just think how much money you'll save.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Antarctica. The weather is stable and none of those pesky insects like spiders. There are fewer boutiques than some other regions, but just think how much money you'll save.
I can hear the whooooshing noise from here as that sails overhead.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but I believe she'd like it to be a more climate-stable city, I heard that weather changes there every 15 minutes.
Problem you have there, is that for your requirements it is now so far ahead of the other Cities that you may have to look a little bit closer at the weather factor. It may not be exactly how you think it is.

Melbourne is now less than 5 years away from again being the Premier City in Aus, the acceleration started after the Sydney Olympics. It could well be in front already. More places to shop eat and drink and nighttime venues, all quantifiable and well on the way to a larger population.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/pr...0423-agt5.html

Finally the return of the status quo, which is Melbourne as Australias premier city, which was the case until somewhere between the Harbour Bridge and the Opera house was built.

I feel like a journo calling an early election result but it really is happening.

BTW I'm only measuring Sydney and Melbourne in this exercise and other factors may change your mind for your own city of choice.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:42 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

My neighbour has lived there and although you don't get much rainfall it can be a bit windy and cold
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is too hot and humid in the summer so makeup is a problem unless you want to stay inside all the time with the aircon, runs down the face, or feels like it anyway.

Sydney the weather also changed within 30 minutes can head to the beach and it can change to cool, humidity is a problem there also.

Melbourne has four seasons of the year, can be extremely hot and windy in summer on some days, cool in winter which I love, spring and autumn are my favourites. Has the best lifestyle for everyone.

Adelaide is cool in winter hot in summer and a lovely city not as large as Melbourne and Sydney and the hills surrounding it are great place to live.

Perth is way too far away from the east coast for me, nice place, nice climate, they get the Fremantle Doctor in the afternoons, I have family who emigrated over there and they love it.

Good shopping if boutiques are wanted need to be in Melbourne central somewhere.

If you do find the perfect place with no wind average temp of 26, no pollution and no traffic let me know I might move
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
Good shopping if boutiques are wanted need to be in Melbourne central somewhere.
I was on foot passing through the Paris end of Collins Street last week and actually took notice of the shops. Loadsa names!!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:23 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

A) spiders aren't insects.

B) avoid the Elephant Seals in Antarctica.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly not Alice Springs then...Sydney or Melbourne if you intend to try Oz.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

She obviously doesn't want to move. If you're determined then you need to consider where you will get work, not what pharmacies there are. As for the weather, maybe you need to do some more research (search facility here is good, as is BOM). The weather doesn't actually change that drastically in Melbourne, or anywhere else in the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.