Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best/cheapest place to buy an Eski ?

Best/cheapest place to buy an Eski ?

Old May 23rd 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best/cheapest place to buy an Eski ?

Going camping for the 1st time this weekend so need an eski sharpish.

I'm in Cairns if you can be that specific. Do they sell them at KMart ?

What sort/size should I be looking at and how much ? Wher is cheapest place for the ice blocks to go in it ? etc. etc.

Was thinking of a cheap one to start with and then maybe get an electric one later ? Our Patrol has a power point in the back for such things I believe.

Initially it will for weekend trips a couple of hours away from home but eventually further afield and for longer. There's 5 of us - me, wife, 3 kids aged 8,11,12.

Any other camping related product advice also gratefully received. We have tent, sleeping bags, chairs, plates etc.

No sotve though yet so need 1 of those too. They do a basic twin burner one in Camping Fishing Boating for $59.

Andy
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:28 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best/cheapest place to buy an Eski ?

Not sure about Eskis as I'm not there yet but just wondering how you're liking Cairns, I'll be there in a few weeks
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:44 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman

What sort/size should I be looking at and how much ? Wher is cheapest place for the ice blocks to go in it ? etc. etc.

Was thinking of a cheap one to start with and then maybe get an electric one later ? Our Patrol has a power point in the back for such things I believe.

Initially it will for weekend trips a couple of hours away from home but eventually further afield and for longer. There's 5 of us - me, wife, 3 kids aged 8,11,12.

Any other camping related product advice also gratefully received. We have tent, sleeping bags, chairs, plates etc.

No sotve though yet so need 1 of those too. They do a basic twin burner one in Camping Fishing Boating for $59.

Andy
Hi Cadman. How are things? Are you still with GHD?
You can buy them at Kmart, target etc. Places like BCF, Ranger etc have a better selection. ARB do some great ones for 4wds. With the battery powered ones it's best to spend as much as you can. Some of the smaller ones are pretty useless. Try and get one that uses external battery packs as well.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:13 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You can buy them at Kmart, target etc. Places like BCF, Ranger etc have a better selection. ARB do some great ones for 4wds. With the battery powered ones it's best to spend as much as you can. Some of the smaller ones are pretty useless. Try and get one that uses external battery packs as well.
For $30 you can buy a solid sided eski but it is really only going to keep stuff cold for a day. Depending on the size you can spend $500+ on a portable fridge that runs on 12V, mains or battery. But you need to spend c$1000 for a decent size. I am thinking about some super-eskis we saw in BCF that apparently keep ice frozen for a week. They are a much better size and much cheaper than the fridges. Has anyone tried them?
Old May 24th 2007, 1:16 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Bunnings usually have a good range in and Woolworths or Big W. Would expect K-Mart to have as well.

Does that mean we can crash at your place in Cairns while you are gone?

Andy
Old May 24th 2007, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
Not sure about Eskis as I'm not there yet but just wondering how you're liking Cairns, I'll be there in a few weeks
Don't come it's a sh*t hole ! Only joking ! It's great, enjoying it so far, everyone really friendly etc.
Read my blog right here on expats if you're interested. Pics linked to it etc.

Andy
Old May 24th 2007, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by worzel
For $30 you can buy a solid sided eski but it is really only going to keep stuff cold for a day. Depending on the size you can spend $500+ on a portable fridge that runs on 12V, mains or battery. But you need to spend c$1000 for a decent size. I am thinking about some super-eskis we saw in BCF that apparently keep ice frozen for a week. They are a much better size and much cheaper than the fridges. Has anyone tried them?
Any idea what brand those 1 week ones are Worzel ? (I believe it's a week only if you don't open them though)
Old May 24th 2007, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I am mate (still with GHD that is). It's all good so far, check my blog for more details.

Andy
Old May 24th 2007, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by annqldau
Bunnings usually have a good range in and Woolworths or Big W. Would expect K-Mart to have as well.

Does that mean we can crash at your place in Cairns while you are gone?

We're only going for the weekend !

(and we're renting at the mo as we're both on 3 month probationary periods at work and can't get mortgage yet)

could be persuaded though if that's you in your avatar !
Old May 24th 2007, 5:21 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea what brand those 1 week ones are Worzel ? (I believe it's a week only if you don't open them though)
Coleman do them but there was a cheaper brand at BCF too. (So long as it keeps my beer cold throughout a long weekend that is all I need!)
Old May 24th 2007, 5:24 am
A former regular of BE

BTW, a friend bought a cheap fridge (normal 3 foot tall thingy) and took that when we went camping last time. I still have no idea how they got 3 people, a fridge and all their camping gear in a Pajero.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:30 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

hey andy,

get an evacool or tropical icebox. they are luminous orange and will see you right for any trip. i think an 100litre is about $400. just freeze some milk cartons and put them in the bottom then get some rubber matt to go over the top. this will keep everything dry. my mate once went 10 days with one but he had a big block of ice in there. try geo pickers or bcf. avoid the picnic eskis. if you wanted a fridge get an engel. 80 litre fridge freezer $1800.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Andy

Brolly, snorkels & wetsuits for this weegend.

Geo Pickers near Westcourt Kmart has had a sale on for a while.

If you go down to Townsville, have a look at Anaconda. Become a member (on-line I think) and get the discounts.

WW
Old May 24th 2007, 12:09 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Brolly, snorkels & wetsuits for this weegend.

Geo Pickers near Westcourt Kmart has had a sale on for a while.

If you go down to Townsville, have a look at Anaconda. Become a member (on-line I think) and get the discounts.

WW
You need discounts the price they charge....