Reload this Page >

Best of Both Worlds CBD and a Nice area to Live

Best of Both Worlds CBD and a Nice area to Live

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:43 am
Just Joined

jimmy.guilfoyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Best of Both Worlds CBD and a Nice area to Live

Hi Folks

I could be heading to Melbourne very soon.

I have a child < 1 year old.

I want to use public transport to work or would even consider a Moped or something dont think I want to drive ?

I believe the location of work will be the CBD , not exactly sure as yet.

Now we are looking at renting a house , 3 bed-roomed in a nice area.

Can anyone recommend what the average rent may be , some nice areas to live ?

Dont mind being an hour from the beach, want to be close to work to cut my commute time, so I can be home as soon as possible.

At the same time I dont my wife and child to be in the sticks

Can anyone possibly give me a little advice ?

Br

Jimmy
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:01 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best of Both Worlds CBD and a Nice area to Live

Thought I'd bump you given no one is replying.

Also try a search on places to live in Melbourne for related threads.

Paul.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Buzzy will be along soon banging his Melbourne drum

Do a search. Those who live there think it's the epicentre of the world.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:14 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmy.guilfoyle
Hi Folks

I could be heading to Melbourne very soon.

I have a child < 1 year old.

I want to use public transport to work or would even consider a Moped or something dont think I want to drive ?

I believe the location of work will be the CBD , not exactly sure as yet.

Now we are looking at renting a house , 3 bed-roomed in a nice area.

Can anyone recommend what the average rent may be , some nice areas to live ?

Dont mind being an hour from the beach, want to be close to work to cut my commute time, so I can be home as soon as possible.

At the same time I dont my wife and child to be in the sticks

Can anyone possibly give me a little advice ?

Br

Jimmy
Jimmy,

You may well be looking for the following areas:

Armadale - high street with loads of good cafes and restaurants runs all the way into town (St Kilda Road)
Malvern - next suburb
Camberwell/Canterbury/Surrey hills - very english
Glen Iris - hilly and tree lined
Elsternwick (jewish)

Rent is upwards of I guess $800 per week for a decent place within 8km/10km from CBD. But what is "decent" is very much an individual taste.

From these you can Tram it in (better in my opinion than train).

Do you know where in the CBD you will be based? what vocation?

At the moment $200K - $400K is normal in some vocations ie Senior finance roles or GM equivalent. The percentage bonus incentives on top range from 25% to 45%+

PS You will need the extra dosh for the local house prices

Tell your wife too contact the local councils about child facilities and activities. Stonnington were very helpful to us when we first arrived and we managed to get into some very good playgroups etc.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:51 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
At the moment $200K - $400K is normal in some vocations ie Senior finance roles or GM equivalent.
What a load of old cobblers!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

Jimmy,

You may well be looking for the following areas:

Armadale - high street with loads of good cafes and restaurants runs all the way into town (St Kilda Road)
Malvern - next suburb
Camberwell/Canterbury/Surrey hills - very english
Glen Iris - hilly and tree lined
Elsternwick (jewish)

Rent is upwards of I guess $800 per week for a decent place within 8km/10km from CBD. But what is "decent" is very much an individual taste.

From these you can Tram it in (better in my opinion than train).

Do you know where in the CBD you will be based? what vocation?

At the moment $200K - $400K is normal in some vocations ie Senior finance roles or GM equivalent. The percentage bonus incentives on top range from 25% to 45%+

PS You will need the extra dosh for the local house prices

Tell your wife too contact the local councils about child facilities and activities. Stonnington were very helpful to us when we first arrived and we managed to get into some very good playgroups etc.
$800 sounds on the high end even for 3 beds. We're in Port Melbourne which is a great area, close to beach and close to the city but more centered around apartments than houses so perhaps not so good if you have a young family. Port Melbourne / Elwood / Brighton are all fairly expensive areas to rent but start at more like $650 a week (thats what we're paying for a 2 bed plus study anyway).
Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:29 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trehere
Port Melbourne / Elwood / Brighton are all fairly expensive areas to rent but start at more like $650 a week (thats what we're paying for a 2 bed plus study anyway).
Holy sheet ! $2,800 a month on rent ? Ouch
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:27 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trehere
$800 sounds on the high end even for 3 beds. We're in Port Melbourne at more like $650 a week (thats what we're paying for a 2 bed plus study anyway).
hence my comment:

But what is "decent" is very much an individual taste.
We were finding it hard to find anything under $800 in South Yarra $650 was for studio sized one bed apartments. A house is not a large flat/apartment. We are now looking at around $1100 for a 3/4 bed house.

Originally Posted by markallwood
Note the word "Senior" and its fact not cobblers, get used to it.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

South Yarra
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:37 am
Has left the building

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
South Yarra
We were thinking of slumming it
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:41 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment $200K - $400K is normal in some vocations ie Senior finance roles or GM equivalent.
Note the word "Senior" and its fact not cobblers, get used to it.
Well, seek executive listings for Melbourne provide the facts - Senior finance roles command $120-$180k, rarely more. GMs are typically on a bit more.

Wages of $200k to $400k aren't "normal in some vocations" - they are exceptional and usually reserved for board level members. Your original comment implies otherwise.

So, whilst I am used to it already, I maintain that you are talking cobblers..

no offence intended.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:46 am
Has left the building

Well, seek executive listings for Melbourne provide the facts - Senior finance roles command $120-$180k, rarely more. GMs are typically on a bit more.

Wages of $200k to $400k aren't "normal in some vocations" - they are exceptional and usually reserved for board level members. Your original comment implies otherwise.

So, whilst I am used to it already, I maintain that you are talking cobblers..

no offence intended.
Do you expect a majority of this level of work to be advertised?

Guess I will have to get used to being exceptional but in my actual working experience in melbourne high achievers dont settle for less than $200K. The range to talk about $120K to $180K is for recent graduates on their way up or managers coming to the end of their careers or bluntly on the way out.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 5:49 am
Account Open

Do you expect a majority of this level of work to be advertised?

Guess I will have to get used to being exceptional but in my actual working experience in melbourne high achievers dont settle for less than $200K. The range to talk about $120K to $180K is for recent graduates on their way up or managers coming to the end of their careers or bluntly on the way out.
ok, you must be right then.