Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Best of Both Worlds?

The Best of Both Worlds?

Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:30 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Cool The Best of Both Worlds?

I wonder if anyone has any idea why on earth do DIMIA grant a tourist visa for 12 months ... BUT the visa holder must leave the country every three months? What bloody stupid politician thought up that ridiculous idea?? Whoever he/she is should have to go through the expensive process of (a) not being able to work then (b) having to find the money to leave the country every bloody five minutes (that's what three months feels like when you're trying to establish a stable relationship)!

Unfortunately, MrPR is here on a tourist visa. We have been in Australia for almost six months now, and have done the requisite trip to NZ halfway through that time. (I had previously spent 13 months in Lincs, UK, with him.) Now, however, we cannot afford to do another 'flip out of the country' for the sake of staying legal.

Yes, we should've thought about this before we left UK. Well, we did. However, I really had no idea just how damnably difficult it would prove to be when things don't go 'right'.

Ever the optimistic me thought the temporary work scene would be more prolific over the Christmas and Easter periods. No, not this year. And that's just one of myriad of things which simply haven't worked out.

Sooooo, the top and tail of all this grumbling is that we're returning to Lincolnshire at the end of this month. We both have return tickets so it's the only affordable option.

We've been staying with my Mum in Brisbane, and we can stay with MrPR's parents in UK, even if it means utilising their holiday van on the wild, stormy, isolated edge of the North Sea in East Yorkshire (we stayed there for several weeks in Oct/Nov 2003, so I know what it's like!)

My thread title is my way of trying to be cheery about the return. I'm trying to envision a time when we can afford to spend six months or so on both sides of those big puddles known as the Pacific and the Atlantic. I'm glad that we're heading into English summertime, pretty countryside, relatives with whom I get along very well and a host of other positives. It doesn't mean that I'm not torn apart by having to leave my Mum (widowed six years) on her own (family-wise) here; that I won't miss my mates, the sunshine and all things Australian dreadfully.

For anyone who's going through the struggle of getting their visa/s, let me give you the most encouragement I can: I've lived in Brisbane for 28 years and wouldn't have it any other way by choice. Despite anything you may read to the contrary, it's a beaut place to live. My only gripe would be that many (untravelled) Aussies haven't got a bloody clue how good they've got it here.

It's a very expensive and depressing business yoyoing between two countries! To any 'youngies' reading this, I'd highly recommend getting your act together financially while you can - it gets harder and tougher with each year that passes!

I guess I'm posting this mainly to let those who've come to know me at BE know that I'm on the move again.

The world is far from a perfect place and I know that I've had life 'good', especially when compared to life in a third world country or a tsunami-affected or war-torn region. Another reason for my thread title: I shall make the most of it and enjoy the 'best of both worlds'.

Hopefully, we'll be able to sort out a 'proper' visa for MrPR and return again before toooooo very long.

Cheers everyone, wish us luck!
PR

Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Best of Both Worlds?

Have you not tried a long-stay tourist visa which means you can stay for up to six months?
I'm just applying for one for my boyfriend, so he can come out with me on my working holiday visa and stay for six months.
I hope it gets granted!
Also, according to the DIMIA site, this works the same as the short-stay visa in that it's for multiple visits for up to a year.
So I'm presuming that means he could return to UK after six months, then go back to Aus again.
At least, I hope that's what it means!
If you know any different please let me know as it could scupper our plans
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:56 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Go and have a pint or two at the Salutation for me then PR Mmmmmmmmmm
Good luck to you and Mr PR
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Aww, good luck PR...no wonder you've been hitting the vino a bit of late!!!

hope your story comes to a happy ( and less costly ) conclusion sooner or later,

safe journey, keep smiling, x
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Shall miss you while you're away - hopefully you will both be back soon, Mr PR with his shiny new visa in hand!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:17 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Have you not tried a long-stay tourist visa which means you can stay for up to six months?
I'm just applying for one for my boyfriend, so he can come out with me on my working holiday visa and stay for six months.
I hope it gets granted!
Also, according to the DIMIA site, this works the same as the short-stay visa in that it's for multiple visits for up to a year.
So I'm presuming that means he could return to UK after six months, then go back to Aus again.
At least, I hope that's what it means!
If you know any different please let me know as it could scupper our plans

I also have heard you can get a tourist long stay visa providing you can show evidence of being able to support yourself financially.

And you would be able to if you didnt have to leave Australia every 3 months.

Have a look on the DIMIA website. Six months is far better than three.

Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I also have heard you can get a tourist long stay visa providing you can show evidence of being able to support yourself financially.

And you would be able to if you didnt have to leave Australia every 3 months.

Have a look on the DIMIA website. Six months is far better than three.
yeah you can defo get a six-month one, if you have proof of funds, it's just the bit about coming back to England then returning to Aus again within the year that I'm not sure of.
Don't know if it allows multiple visits, or if you have apply for a new visa each time you return.
And as it seems impossible to speak to anyone at Oz House on the phone, I'm just going for it and keeping my fingers crossed
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:27 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Never did like yo-yo's. The string ends up fraying.
Oh, actually the chocolate variety were okay I suppose.

Be strong and sort it PR
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

can't understand the laws for the tourists and working holiday visas.
Why should you only be able to get a WHV up to the age of 31? Why not have this visa open to everyone?
And why should tourist visas be only three or six months?
As PR points out, they are effecitvely allowing you to spend a year in the country, but say you have to leave the country every three months. What's the reasoning behind that?
Why not just have a one-year tourist visa? If you've got the funds I don't see the problem.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:00 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: The Best of Both Worlds?

Originally Posted by cresta57
Go and have a pint or two at the Salutation for me then PR Mmmmmmmmmm
Good luck to you and Mr PR

Ironically, although I've driven past it MANY times, I never did make it INTO the Salutation Arms, Cresta! I'll make a point of it next month ... just cos you said I should!

Cheers mate

Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:05 am
Dismembered Bat

Talking Re: The Best of Both Worlds?

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Aww, good luck PR...no wonder you've been hitting the vino a bit of late!!!

hope your story comes to a happy ( and less costly ) conclusion sooner or later,

safe journey, keep smiling, x

Leigh, I always enjoy my vino! But I'll keep smiling, just for you ... thanks mate!

Perhaps in a year or two's time, I'll make it back to FNQ - would love to share a plonk or two and a few laffs with you and the Bixes!

Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:06 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Ironically, although I've driven past it MANY times, I never did make it INTO the Salutation Arms, Cresta! I'll make a point of it next month ... just cos you said I should!

Cheers mate

With the others closing Red Lion, Talbot which ones next? you'll soon have the yuppie wine bar or nothing out there.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:07 am
Dismembered Bat

Lightbulb Re: The Best of Both Worlds?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Shall miss you while you're away - hopefully you will both be back soon, Mr PR with his shiny new visa in hand!

Crossing fingers, toes, eyes, legs, etc, here, Polly. We'll miss you too, but won't let you get away without at least another visit before we head off. Will keep you posted.

Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:11 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Did you say he was looking for work on a tourist visa??????

If so dont give to much info as DIMIA may be reading
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:11 am
Dismembered Bat

Wink Re: The Best of Both Worlds?

Originally Posted by Bix
Never did like yo-yo's. The string ends up fraying.
Oh, actually the chocolate variety were okay I suppose.

Be strong and sort it PR

Yup, Bix, that's exactly how I feel: like a strayed fring!

Will sort it, Bix, never fear. And look forward to knocking on yer door one day and dragging both of you to the nearest watering hole of any repute!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.