Reload this Page >

Best books on Aus ?

Best books on Aus ?

Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:47 pm
Go for it !!!!

russandkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best books on Aus ?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend books on Australia that give value for money and give a good all-round perspective on living and life in Australia ? Thanks in advance...Russ
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:58 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best books on Aus ?

Originally Posted by russandkaren
Hi,

Can anyone recommend books on Australia that give value for money and give a good all-round perspective on living and life in Australia ? Thanks in advance...Russ
There are quite a few around but I think this one is quite good

Living and Working in Australia by David Hampshire
A Survival Handbook

ISBN 1 901130517

Chapters include:

Finding a job
Working Conditions
Permits and visas
Arrival
Accomodation
Post Office Services
Telephone
TV and Radio
Education
Public Transport
Motoring
Health
Insurance
Finance
Leisure
Sports
Shopping
Odds and Ends
The Australians
Moving House or Leaving Australia

Cost approx £12.95

Jackie

Last edited by Mrs JFW; Sep 11th 2006 at 10:59 pm. Reason: forgot to add price
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:00 pm
Go for it !!!!

Hi
Thanks for that Jackie, I will have a look on Amazon for that one.
Also just bought my first copy of the Australia and New Zealand magazine, looks great with lots of info.
Thanks again
Karen
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:41 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Hi, Have you chosen an area to live or reccie etc ?
If you have you could try finding out the name of the local paper and read it online to try to get a feel for the area,ie house prices,jobs,land local issues etc etc..it's just an idea,something I try to catch up with most days on line.
Hope thats of some help to you,best of luck
RM
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

KeilaK will become famous soon enoughKeilaK will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Hi Russ

We got a good one called "The Sunday Times. Working and Living in Australia" by Jane Egginton, printed by Cadogan Guides (www.cadoganguides.com). ISBN 1-86011-204-8. Really gives a lot of good advice and a great overview of different regions and the workings of the country.

Good luck!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:07 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for that Jackie, I will have a look on Amazon for that one.
Also just bought my first copy of the Australia and New Zealand magazine, looks great with lots of info.
Thanks again
Karen
your welcome Karen,

where abouts are you heading?

I love the Australia and NZ magazine!

Jackie x
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Davla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Hi Russ, I totally agree with Jackie on the Survival guide book it's been a great insight into Oz. There is also a great web site
www.livingin-australia.com which has a good view of the place, the only downside to it is it doesn't feature Tas! and that's the place my OH & I are thinking of settling! Can't have it all though eh!

The Australia & New Zealand magazine has become our bible, totally loving it! Shame it's out every 2 months Boo! You can also order past copies.
Hope the web-site helps
Davla
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

The survivaly guide book by David Hampshire has been really informative for us.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

personally, I thought this one was the best: ''The Migrants Guide to Emigrating and Settling in Australia' available from:

http://www.pomsdownunder.com/products/book1.aspx

It was short, to the point, and utterly practical. Pomsdownunder used to turn up to some of those UK migration expos so you might get it there too.

Neil
Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:49 am
Go for it !!!!

Hi all

Many thanks for all your replies. Davla have just noticed that the Australia and New Zealand magazine is out every month from now on...yippee!!

Jackie thanks for your reply, not sure for definite yet where we are heading but Husbands job could take us to Canberra. Any info on areas around Canberra very much appreciated.

Thanks again, you are a friendly bunch

Karen
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

[QUOTE=Davla]Hi Russ, I totally agree with Jackie on the Survival guide book it's been a great insight into Oz. There is also a great web site
www.livingin-australia.com which has a good view of the place, the only downside to it is it doesn't feature Tas! and that's the place my OH & I are thinking of settling! Can't have it all though eh!

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link to "Best Place to live in Melbourne" - Buy Now - doesn't work. Just got a notice to say Download Expired

I have emailed to compnay and await a response
Will update if positive
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

[QUOTE=djfbug]
Originally Posted by Davla
Hi Russ, I totally agree with Jackie on the Survival guide book it's been a great insight into Oz. There is also a great web site

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link to "Best Place to live in Melbourne" - Buy Now - doesn't work. Just got a notice to say Download Expired

I have emailed to compnay and await a response
Will update if positive
Company responded and sent a new download link - so ok now