Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Australian Bank to Go With?

Best Australian Bank to Go With?

Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default Best Australian Bank to Go With?

Hi

I am starting to look at bank provision for when I get out to Perth in August.

Can you please advise me as to who is the best bank to go with please before I arrive.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Debbie
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:22 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best Australian Bank to Go With?

There all pretty much the same. To be honest.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with St George and have been very happy with the service and the products. I tend to think they are all much of a muchness though.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:14 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

No Australian...

ING
HSBC
Citibank

all have their uses... As long as you're a normal person and have no need for business services and a branch manager then any non-Australian intitution is more likley to have fewer fees than a locally based one.

(Note - for the VERY rare occassions a branch is needed for most banks you can deposit cheques & stuff over the counter at any post office)
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:22 am
ABCDiamond

NAB (National Australia Bank) has free banking, with many branches.
Other than one recent hiccup (computer meltdown) NAB are basically pretty good, and easy to open an account from the UK. New NAB Account
HSBC is also free, but only a few branches.

Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:48 am

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
HSBC is also free, but only a few branches.
Unless you're a business and need face-to-face time with a bank manager to discuss things I really dont see what the fuss is about when it comes to branches.

There are more post office branches than ANY bank branches, and I've yet to find a bank service I need that a post office doesnt offer.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

All banks and insurance companies are robbing bastards, they'll get their pound of flesh in the end.

Go with the one whose logo colours you like the best.

Cheers

Steve
Old Feb 11th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
There are more post office branches than ANY bank branches, and I've yet to find a bank service I need that a post office doesnt offer.
Obtaining a bank cheque? Often required early on (e.g. for purchasing a car)
Old Feb 11th 2011, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Obtaining a bank cheque? Often required early on (e.g. for purchasing a car)
PO Money Order? I seemed to manage to buy cars ok in the past and I havent had a bank with a branch since 1994.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
All banks and insurance companies are robbing bastards, they'll get their pound of flesh in the end.

Go with the one whose logo colours you like the best.

Cheers

Steve
The ones that charge you $5 pm are worse than those that charge you nothing.

I don't see the problem that some people have with banks.
I choose a bank that has no fees, and a credit card that pays me to use it. They are not exactly robbing me

Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
PO Money Order? I seemed to manage to buy cars ok in the past and I havent had a bank with a branch since 1994.
They're only available up to $5,000.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi

Can you please advise me as to who is the best bank to go with please before I arrive.

Many thanks

Debbie
HSBC
Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

pink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of lightpink13 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi

Many thanks

Debbie

just gone through this myself and like you asked for help from the lovely B.E peeps .
I ended staying with my Husbands building society they have been great and very very friendly so much so i am now playing roller hockey with one of the ladies that works there

Think it is just a case of looking round for one that meets your needs
friendly faces met mine
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:07 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

NAB. Its free. Unlike most who will do free banking with criteria. Many branches. Excellent and easy internet and iphone banking

Why do you need branches ? Because when you first move here you will need to raise bank cheques for capital purchases such as cars and frankly sometimes you need to actually speak to a real person who is not in India or <insert your call centre's base of operations here> and face to face.

You can open an account easily before you get here and have cards waiting for you on arrival. Customer service is normally excellent and I don't have to deal with the local troll that works in my post office when she's not living under the bridge waiting to mug travellers.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I will quite happily admit to being very happy with the service provided by Commonwealth. The people in my local branch are fab and we've never had any of the problems others have had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.