Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Areas - Please Vote

View Poll Results: WHERE DO U THINK THE BEST AREAS OF PERTH ARE FROM?
ILLUKA
33.33%
OCEAN REEF
33.33%
KINROSS
0%
CONNELLY
0%
CLARKSON
16.67%
BELDON
0%
KALLAROO
16.67%
MULLALOO
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Best Areas - Please Vote

Old May 18th 2003, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Tambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant future
Default Best Areas - Please Vote

WHERE DO U THINK IS THE BEST AREA OF PERTH FROM?
Old May 19th 2003, 3:32 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Areas - Please Vote

Originally posted by Tambo
WHERE DO U THINK IS THE BEST AREA OF PERTH FROM?
After you see the Marina in Mindarie forget these places and there are still afordables homes there.

Old May 19th 2003, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

PB, will you please stop telling people that Mindarie is great, it's not, it's the pits, a terrible place to live. Far too far to commute from being on the northern edge of Perth, derelict houses everywhere (sorry they're half built), very near the notorious Clarkson, yobs in the park (sorry they're my kids!), no High school nearby except private, empty beach except for the surfers, can't go in without being knocked over by a board or two. IT'S HELL.

(Only joking but I want to be able to afford a house here at some point in the not too distant future)

LOL

Loopy
Old May 19th 2003, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Loopy

... very near the notorious Clarkson... IT'S HELL.

Loopy
Cheers, I had been wondering what happened to old Jezza after Top Gear.
Old May 19th 2003, 4:27 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Loopy
PB, will you please stop telling people that Mindarie is great, it's not, it's the pits, a terrible place to live. Far too far to commute from being on the northern edge of Perth, derelict houses everywhere (sorry they're half built), very near the notorious Clarkson, yobs in the park (sorry they're my kids!), no High school nearby except private, empty beach except for the surfers, can't go in without being knocked over by a board or two. IT'S HELL.

(Only joking but I want to be able to afford a house here at some point in the not too distant future)

LOL

Loopy
You are way out of touch when did you last go there , look at the $3 million homes , plus all the schools state and private are now built look at the homes you can buy there now , Clarkson its not.

http://public.reiwa.com.au/misc/menu...pe=residential

PS I over looked your only joking by who cares?

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 19th 2003 at 4:47 am.
Old May 19th 2003, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Why do all the British Expats head for the beach suburbs?

I wouldn't touch any beach suburbs north of Perth - too congested, people, traffic, hoons, graffitti. We've decided to live in the Perth Hills - near Kalamunda - we wouldn't live anywhere else, only 1/2 hour in to city, 40 minutes to the beach, nice community feel.
Old May 19th 2003, 5:13 am
Banned

Originally posted by Kath

I wouldn't touch any beach suburbs north of Perth - too congested, people, traffic, hoons, graffitti. We've decided to live in the Perth Hills - near Kalamunda - we wouldn't live anywhere else, only 1/2 hour in to city, 40 minutes to the beach, nice community feel.
You have made a good point but the hills are stinking hot in Summer and colder in winter , but I would say you have made a good choice.

Old May 19th 2003, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

I think when Perth gets hot, it's stinking hot everywhere!
The Hills are only a few degrees warmer, we still get the Fremantle doctor, but a bit later in the afternoon. We do get the warm Easterly winds but most homes up here are on large blocks with a pool and what better way to cool down than in your own pool with cool drinks in a fridge nearby. The last thing I want is to take 2 young children down the beach when the weather is 35c ++.

The cool weather is the best! We have a wood burner, just had some logs delivered £120 / ton, will last most of the Winter. Very cosy.

One drawback, some of the Hills homes are dated, 1970's style, some nice blue, yellow, brown bathrooms, tacky decor, but if you can see through that and don't mind some DIY, renovations then head for the Hills!
Old May 19th 2003, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Whoops, been here a year but still using £ sign - I meant $120 / ton!
Old May 19th 2003, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's because you have the best of both worlds - a house and a beach/holiday house all rolled into one. Your house in the Hills sounds lovely, we often take weekend drives up that way, as well as the Mundaring area, Chittering Valley, Avon Valley, the Swan Valley wineries, etc. The beach is a major draw for many people though, not just to swim in the ocean or lounge on a towel, but it's great for a walk or cycle along the dual-use pathways. We find ourselves down there most evenings, and I enjoy running along the ocean. Cools me down on those hot mornings. Sometimes I'll end my run with cooling dunk in the ocean. The dog beach is also fun. I guess it provides people with a lot of leisure options. And it's just nice to look at sometimes too.

You should talk about the Hills region more, I'm sure some will be very interested.

Good luck,

Helena
Old May 19th 2003, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

One drawback, some of the Hills homes are dated, 1970's style, some nice blue, yellow, brown bathrooms, tacky decor, but if you can see through that and don't mind some DIY, renovations then head for the Hills!
Oh God, tell me about it! You can find some of that "lovely" 70's decor closer to the beach too. It's amazing how people don't ever update their houses. But then everyone is different, it really doesn't matter. Both my husband and I are avid DIY'ers and have updated a few places. Others just don't care. I have a great friend who is like that. Couldn't care less the tiles in her kitchen are a garish, nightmare-inducing yellow, avocado and brown swirly pattern. Or that her toilet and sink are both bright pink. And the carpet in the lounge! The person who designed it must have been on a bad acid trip.

Before we bought our investment property we looked at about 50 different houses. Husband and I had a good giggle over at least a dozen of them. It can be quite entertaining. The advantage of many of these "tacky" 70's places is that they sit on bigger than average blocks with some nice established gardens and trees around them, and they're not way, way out in the burbs. So they're nothing to sneer at. Just good for a laugh.
Old May 19th 2003, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Matt & Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

I always read the posts regarding where to live in Perth, and its seems everyone wants to move north of the river? Why..

There are some lovely suburds south too. We live south and love it. Whats the attraction? There are lovely beaches south too you know. We live 10 mins from Perth, 10 from Freo and about 30 from Rockingham. Perfect.

Anyway, just putting my point across. Maybe I live south because I come from the south of the Uk. who knows but if you have never been to Perth before or to the southern suburbs may I suggest you give them a chance.

Love Jo xxx