Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Areas to Live In Brisbane/Should we Emmigrate?

Best Areas to Live In Brisbane/Should we Emmigrate?

Old Feb 11th 2007, 11:37 am
Just Joined

spikeyjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Areas to Live In Brisbane/Should we Emmigrate?

Hi,

Would it be poss for someone to advise which are the best areas to live in Brisbane, and which ones to definately aviod.

On wish list for place to live, close to coast, 30 mins from CBD, and in an area with excellent state schools for our son?

Many thanks for any help, we have no idea whats good and whats not?

Also, should we immigrate to Oz? We are still a def one day, and then having reservations the next? Will it be a better life for our kids than UK? That is our main priority for moving?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice
Default Re: Best Areas to Live In Brisbane/Should we Emmigrate?

Hi spikeyjo - Brisbane isnt really on the coast unless you go to its outer northern or southern suburbs but its just mud flats in the north (not sure about the south) you have to go further up to get nice beaches to the Sunshine Coast or south to the Gold Coast.

Might be worth looking up the Brisbane rail map and seeing how long journeys into the CBD take from various suburbs - will be quicker on the train than in a car!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RachelH
Hi spikeyjo - Brisbane isnt really on the coast unless you go to its outer northern or southern suburbs but its just mud flats in the north (not sure about the south) you have to go further up to get nice beaches to the Sunshine Coast or south to the Gold Coast.

Might be worth looking up the Brisbane rail map and seeing how long journeys into the CBD take from various suburbs - will be quicker on the train than in a car!
from where we are Rachel, it takes average 40mins to CBD by car and about 1h by train! that's not to say it's the same for everyone, but in my experience private transport is quicker generally than public transport (and less smelly)

in reply to the OP should you emigrate? don't think there is anybody on here qualified to make that call, but I will pass on one observation - there are quite a few people from UK trying to relocate to Australia, however, Australians don't seem to be quite so enthusiastic about moving to the UK.

We believe by moving to Australia we have given our kids the best possibe surroundings to allow them to grow & mature into well rounded, confident young adults. The opportunity to grow-up in an area with such a great life attitude (not to mention bigger house, pool blah, blah) is priceless.
I had never been to Australia before we moved here almost four years ago, but never questioned the descision to move. It was right for us, and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself & my family.
One day in the future you will not meet the required criteria to move here; too old, wrong skills etc. You currently have a window of opportunity, that window will not be here for ever, I suggest you seize it.

Subs/areas that I would be less keen on living in (for various reasons): Woodridge, Kingston, Inala, Darra, Ipswich, salibury, Coopers Plains, Mt. Gravatt, Logan, Rochedale - of the top of my head

good luck

Mark
Old Feb 12th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by doub
from where we are Rachel, it takes average 40mins to CBD by car and about 1h by train! that's not to say it's the same for everyone, but in my experience private transport is quicker generally than public transport (and less smelly)

in reply to the OP should you emigrate? don't think there is anybody on here qualified to make that call, but I will pass on one observation - there are quite a few people from UK trying to relocate to Australia, however, Australians don't seem to be quite so enthusiastic about moving to the UK.

We believe by moving to Australia we have given our kids the best possibe surroundings to allow them to grow & mature into well rounded, confident young adults. The opportunity to grow-up in an area with such a great life attitude (not to mention bigger house, pool blah, blah) is priceless.
I had never been to Australia before we moved here almost four years ago, but never questioned the descision to move. It was right for us, and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself & my family.
One day in the future you will not meet the required criteria to move here; too old, wrong skills etc. You currently have a window of opportunity, that window will not be here for ever, I suggest you seize it.

Subs/areas that I would be less keen on living in (for various reasons): Woodridge, Kingston, Inala, Darra, Ipswich, salibury, Coopers Plains, Mt. Gravatt, Logan, Rochedale - of the top of my head

good luck

Mark
Mark

You have mentioned, the 'less' than great areas, can you mention a couple of 'great' ones, anything up to an hour south/south east as far as gold coast to comute into brisbane CBD? I have 2 boys who are in need of a great education, which is our no 1 criteria? Any thougths, would be appreciated.

kind regards
Torien (Moving to Brisbane towards the end of the year, should have been their already, but wife preggy, will move after babies arrival).
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dejags
Mark

You have mentioned, the 'less' than great areas, can you mention a couple of 'great' ones, anything up to an hour south/south east as far as gold coast to comute into brisbane CBD? I have 2 boys who are in need of a great education, which is our no 1 criteria? Any thougths, would be appreciated.

kind regards
Torien (Moving to Brisbane towards the end of the year, should have been their already, but wife preggy, will move after babies arrival).
Hi Torien,

you wanna go private or state with that education? you see the thing is from my limited experience, a good Suburb does not mean a good state school.

Top ten favorite Suburbs (in no perticular order):

Fig Tree Pocket
Indoropilly (I always struggle with that spelling)
Wellington Point
Holland Park
South Bank
tarragindi
Auchenflower
Toowong
Raby Bay
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

Torien - are you the same Dejags as Mumsnet round the world trip fame...?