Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best area for SINGLES in melbourne?

Best area for SINGLES in melbourne?

Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of
Default Best area for SINGLES in melbourne?

I am due to arrive in Melbourne in a few weeks. Ive looked all over these forums and there seems to be a lot of focus on great places for a family to live in Melbourne, with a focus on schools. Can anyone give some advice on nice areas for a 30+ single? I am American but lived in the UK for about 8 years so I am not really focused on finding an expat area (I've seen other threads here for example where Indians seem to want areas where only Indians live). In fact, I'd be happy with a nice trendy area that isn't expat focused.

Any ideas? A commute under 1 hour would be good and I am ok paying up to about 900 AUS a week on rent if the area is fun (just a one bed, but ideally with a decent view, maybe a higher floor). I am hearing the Docklands area is good for new builds and would be walkable to work, but that it is pretty dead on the weekends. I dont mind that too much though as given I will probably work long hours I'd probably mainly be going out friday and saturday nights so I am more interested in being in a 'fun' area with a commute under an hour.

Any thoughts? I am sorry if there is a similar thread here but I see to only be able to fine 'family focused' ones.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area for SINGLES in melbourne?

Originally Posted by rld1177
I am due to arrive in Melbourne in a few weeks. Ive looked all over these forums and there seems to be a lot of focus on great places for a family to live in Melbourne, with a focus on schools. Can anyone give some advice on nice areas for a 30+ single? I am American but lived in the UK for about 8 years so I am not really focused on finding an expat area (I've seen other threads here for example where Indians seem to want areas where only Indians live). In fact, I'd be happy with a nice trendy area that isn't expat focused.

Any ideas? A commute under 1 hour would be good and I am ok paying up to about 900 AUS a week on rent if the area is fun (just a one bed, but ideally with a decent view, maybe a higher floor). I am hearing the Docklands area is good for new builds and would be walkable to work, but that it is pretty dead on the weekends. I dont mind that too much though as given I will probably work long hours I'd probably mainly be going out friday and saturday nights so I am more interested in being in a 'fun' area with a commute under an hour.

Any thoughts? I am sorry if there is a similar thread here but I see to only be able to fine 'family focused' ones.

Thanks!
Hi! I've lived in Melbourne both with and without kids. If you want upper level apartments, I would suggest Docklands (as you've mentioned), also St Kilda Road. Generally speaking (and this is a generalisation), the St Kilda Road/Queens Road apartments will have a higher spec finish than Docklands.

If you want an older property or warehouse-style, maybe try Fitzroy or Collingwood - pretty much walking distance to the city and with great bars, cafes, etc.

Beachside look at Port Melbourne or St Kilda. We lived in St Kilda for 2 years (pre-kids) and loved it.

ETA - try www.realestate.com.au or www.domain.com.au for listings.

Best of luck!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

rld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud ofrld1177 has much to be proud of

"Fitzroy or Collingwood"

Thanks! Would you say these above areas are a nice compromise - not a wild commute but not as close as docklands, yet it sounds like more is going on. An area with a nightlife that is a logn walk on a nice day to work or a tram on other days would be ideal.

I really appreciate the advice.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work in Fitzroy (quite a while ago now), but I would have loved to live there. There are some great properties, apartment-wise, not high-rise but converted warehouses, etc. Anywhere from Smith Street through to Carlton is pretty good - Brunswick Street in Fitzroy is full of cafes, trendy shops, bars, etc. Lygon Street in Carlton is the Italian Restaurant sector. Both are walking distance to the CBD, or a tram ride if you can't be bothered walking.

If you're looking in that area, check out www.nelsonalexander.com.au for rentals - I used to work for them and they're a pretty good agent.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:07 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Also look at Prahran, South Yarra and South Melbourne and Port Melbourne. These are all areas with lots of restaurants and bars etc popular with singles and DINKs.

BB
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rld1177

Thanks!
I hear you!

While not single we're in our late twenties/early thirties, no kids, and go out a lot.

We chose the CBD after an amazing apartment came up. Having initially looked at Fitzroy/Carlton I'm glad we didn't choose there in the end. Having now spent 7 months in Melbourne we've found there's not nearly as much going on as say south of the Yarra.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:54 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
also St Kilda Road. Generally speaking (and this is a generalisation), the St Kilda Road/Queens Road apartments will have a higher spec finish than Docklands.
Then you walk out of your apartment block outside of business hours and there's...erm, well, nothing!
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Also look at Prahran, South Yarra and South Melbourne and Port Melbourne. These are all areas with lots of restaurants and bars etc popular with singles and DINKs.
Wot he said. For $900/wk you could take your pic. There's a new shiny glass tower on Chapel St, South Yarra which I'm sure would offer excellent city views and all mod cons at that price. And just a short walk to the action. 2 stops on the train to Flinders St.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcworld
Then you walk out of your apartment block outside of business hours and there's...erm, well, nothing!
That's true. I only suggested it because the OP was talking about being on an upper level to get the view. Personally, if I was single I would choose Fitzroy, Carlton, Port Melbourne, South Yarra, Richmond, St Kilda (the suburb) etc. over Docklands or St Kilda Road.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
That's true. I only suggested it because the OP was talking about being on an upper level to get the view. Personally, if I was single I would choose Fitzroy, Carlton, Port Melbourne, South Yarra, Richmond, St Kilda (the suburb) etc. over Docklands or St Kilda Road.
I could be wrong but I'm getting the vibe the OP isn't a northside kind of person!
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:41 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I could be wrong but I'm getting the vibe the OP isn't a northside kind of person!

Another vote for South Yarra. Personally, I wouldnt bother with Docklands, as the more established areas have more to offer
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

OK I have to ask, what is a 'northside kind of person'?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:13 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...202-1quub.html
Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:23 am
ajw

Also look at Elwood if you like the idea of living near the water.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.