Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best area in maryborough in move to?

Best area in maryborough in move to?

Old Jan 5th 2017, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Indigobelle82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best area in maryborough in move to?

Hi my husband and I and 4 kids are planning to move to Australia. My dad lives in gympie and we would like to live not too far from him.
Does anyone know of nice areas live in around maryborough. I have read some awful things. I've been looking at urangan?
I would love any advice please. I feel a little lost in where to start.
Thanks 😃
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:25 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best area in maryborough in move to?

I live between Gympie & Maryboro' in a rural remote area. No potable water supply, we catch the rainfall from the roof for all our needs. We have archaic internet with a max of 10gig per month on a wireless plan. No shops in the area and disrupted power supplies. We love the peace and quiet, crime is negligble aside from the odd hoon or two.
Hervey Bay is about 1.5 hrs drive from Gympie now the speed cameras are everywhere and the road is 90kph for the first 20k. Hervey Bay itself is made up of several smaller townships that have grown together over the years. A few B.E ers live up there and might see the thread. We go up there for a trip to the beach or to go fishing so don't know a great deal about the place other than it's a mix of retiree's and back packers. It holds the world record for the largest convoy of mobility scooters, read into that whatever you like lol.
Maryboro' itself was in decline for a few years after the logging industry declined until a new prison [opened the year we moved here] brought renewed prosperity and jobs along with the train building shop they and the forrestry provide the bulk of employment. It's an old town with some beautifully restored old Queenslander style homes. Some areas are prone to flooding when the heavy rains come as are areas of Gympie.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Aussielover is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about going the other way? The Noosa/Tewantin area at the top end of the Sunshine Coast is about an hour south of Gympie; it has good infrastructure, some sophistication if you need it, beautiful beaches nearby, and you're only an hour and a half or so from Brisbane. It also feels 'special' - but don't ask me to explain that...

The only downside may be property prices, but not everything there is only for multimillionaires; we had a house there between 2006-2011 intended for our 'permanent move' on retirement and we usually spent two months a year there. Coming out from the UK it felt like paradise!

That said, our plans have changed and we're now emigrating to Adelaide in three weeks time - but I'd still recommend Noosa in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

Hi
We live in hervey bay, 30 mins from Maryborough. I would not live there, coming from uk 6 years ago we were shell shocked when we landed. Sunshine coast is lovely, coolum beach is good. Depends on what work you are going to do, heaps people come to live in hervey bay. But there is no jobs and yet they still build houses and so on.
Feel free to pm me about any info/