Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best area to live in perth with children??

Best area to live in perth with children??

Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:37 pm
fhj
Just Joined

fhj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best area to live in perth with children??

Hello

I am looking into rental properties in Perth.
I am hoping to move there with my husband and our 3 children.
All my children are under 5 so I need good schools too.

I was just wondering what is the best area for me to look into living and if there are some areas that I should avoid??

They all look so nice in the pictures that I don't know where to start!!!

Thank you

Last edited by fhj; Jul 12th 2013 at 9:45 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best area to live in perth with children??

Well since your husband is under 5.....
Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:44 pm
fhj
Just Joined

o dear! I better edit that!!

I was typing to quickly!! lol
Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:51 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Perth is a big place! Do you know where your husband is going to be working? I'm guessing from another post that maybe he's applied to WAPol? If so, posting for transitional officers seem to be city and districts surrounding. Very difficult to start looking for places to live until you know where you're hubby is going to be working.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Budget will be a big factor. What budget do you have per week?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 7:03 am
fhj
Just Joined

Well we are hoping to pay $550 max
We will need 3 bedrooms and would like 1 car space.
We don't mind only having 1 bathroom.
Ideally we want to be about 20-30 min drive from the city.

Thanks

I was rushing last night and left out some essential info!!
Old Jul 14th 2013, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would look at north, around the Joondalup areas or south such as Rockingham. Both are more than 30 mins drive, but will be in budget and the train is better than driving anyway. Train from Rockingham is about 30 mins
Old Jul 14th 2013, 5:48 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with verystormy although I'd prefer joondalup over Rockingham it's not called shockingham for nothing! Joondy area has lots of young families and facilities catering for them with lots of parks, leisure centres, day care centres and after school activities ect ect.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 7:04 am
fhj
Just Joined

Thank you.
As we will only have the one wage for a little while we are on a tight budget.

Shockingham! Haha.
That's exactly why I asked. We are in a nice area in the uk (sounds exactly like joondalup) and I would like to stay some where similar.
We have areas here that I wouldn't want to live as a family so I really appreciate your help!

thank you
Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:43 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fhj
Hello

I am looking into rental properties in Perth.
I am hoping to move there with my husband and our 3 children.
All my children are under 5 so I need good schools too.

I was just wondering what is the best area for me to look into living and if there are some areas that I should avoid??

They all look so nice in the pictures that I don't know where to start!!!

Thank you
Hi there,
If you are looking a public schools, make sure you rent a house 'within' the school catchment area. Much of the time they are very strict that your kids will only go to the school if they live in the area.

If you are looking at Private education, check with schools on the waiting list, which are often very long.

Here's a good website for schools. http://www.myschool.edu.au/

The beauty of renting is you can usually rent in the catchment area and get your kids into the school and then buy in an adjoining suburb, which may be cheaper.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 11:06 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Dont be fooled by "Shockingham". There are plenty of critics of Joondalup (or Little England if you prefer).

So not be drawn into that one I'll offer an alternative.....

Try postcode 6153 - its a great older more established area including Ardorss and Mt Pleasant. Great area - near city, Freo beaches, good primary school (Ardross).
And for $550 a week within your budget
Old Jul 14th 2013, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

If your willing to do a slightly longer commute, Mandurah is nice. I am just south of Mandurah. Your budget would get a nice house close to the beach. It is 50 mins by train to Perth
Old Jul 14th 2013, 6:15 pm
fhj
Just Joined

Thank you all.

I will look at some properties in those areas on the Internet.

We will be sending them to public school.
So the WITHIN area info is helpful too!

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2013, 6:38 pm
fhj
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
If your willing to do a slightly longer commute, Mandurah is nice. I am just south of Mandurah. Your budget would get a nice house close to the beach. It is 50 mins by train to Perth
Thank you.
Unfortunately and hour by train is too far.

Thanks for your help though
Old Jul 14th 2013, 7:15 pm
fhj
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Dont be fooled by "Shockingham". There are plenty of critics of Joondalup (or Little England if you prefer).

So not be drawn into that one I'll offer an alternative.....

Try postcode 6153 - its a great older more established area including Ardorss and Mt Pleasant. Great area - near city, Freo beaches, good primary school (Ardross).
And for $550 a week within your budget
Thank you!!!

I have looked at Ardross. I love what I are so far.
The school looked good. Properties look good!
Is there anything bad!!!!?!! Hahaha

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.