Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which are best airlines for internal flights

Which are best airlines for internal flights

Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which are best airlines for internal flights

We'll be flying from Sydney to either Adelaide or Melbourne soon. Just wondered what impressions people have of internal flights in Oz - what it's like to fly with various carriers, which have the best deals, which are the most obnoxious etc (only adding this last bit because of ryanair)

Looking forward to insider tips!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which are best airlines for internal flights

Virgin Blue or Jetstar.....both similar to the budget carriers in Europe.

G
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:04 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Virgin....you should book soon though, I think the sale has been extended but ends midnight tonight.

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
most obnoxious
Definitely Qantas...although more so staff in the airport than on the plane.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

not that there is huge choice!

Qantas have best timetables as Syd to other cities are 'commuter' flights....and food and drink (post 4pm) is included. I would never use Qantas longhaul but internal flights they are OK.
Virgin are OK planes, but you pay for everything extra incl TV.
Jetstar sometimes go to obscure airports (not sure about Syd to Melb- if it goes to Avalon this is 40 mins to CBD and only public transport is coach).

As the flights are so short - about 1hr 20m- go for cheapest/one that suits your timetable.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
We'll be flying from Sydney to either Adelaide or Melbourne soon. Just wondered what impressions people have of internal flights in Oz - what it's like to fly with various carriers, which have the best deals, which are the most obnoxious etc (only adding this last bit because of ryanair)

Looking forward to insider tips!!
Not much choice, in many cases there is only one airline running the route anyway. Nowhere near the choice back home for various reasons.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 14th 2009 at 4:29 am.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:42 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Much as it grieves me to say it QANTAS is the best domestic carrier though you will pay more.

However, when I pay my own way, like many others I will be choosing between Virgin and Jetstar. I think I have a very slight preference for Virgin; probably because you get a seat back TV with Foxtel which you can watch for free until the seatbelt sign goes out. After that you can swipe your card and keep watching.

On Jetstar, you have to wait for the trolley to come with the screens and then they offer limited things to watch.

Both airlines run out of food before they get to your row. Virgin staff are a little too "familiar" making it feel like a coach trip (which I guess it is).

You pretty much get what you pay for I guess.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:45 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayr
Much as it grieves me to say it QANTAS is the best domestic carrier though you will pay more.

However, when I pay my own way, like many others I will be choosing between Virgin and Jetstar. I think I have a very slight preference for Virgin; probably because you get a seat back TV with Foxtel which you can watch for free until the seatbelt sign goes out. After that you can swipe your card and keep watching.

On Jetstar, you have to wait for the trolley to come with the screens and then they offer limited things to watch.

Both airlines run out of food before they get to your row. Virgin staff are a little too "familiar" making it feel like a coach trip (which I guess it is).

You pretty much get what you pay for I guess.

Qantas?? They in my opinion are the worst. They have a monopoly on some routes, so you have to fly with them. Their service is poor and their planes are normally older than I am!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

We travelled from Brisbane to Perth on Pacific Blue and it was very uncomfortable. The front half of the plane was roasting and they said there was nothing they could do about it and to go stand down the back if you wanted to cool off. The seats were close together and uncomfortable and you have to pay for everything. You can't even have a glass of water, you have to buy a bottle. Can't watch a movie unless you pay. We didn't think it was that much cheaper to warrant the lack of service either. Qantas is fine.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:56 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer Qantas. I hate budget airlines.

We flew with them to Brisbane and back they were great. Virgin Blue (from Sydney 2 years ago) on the other hand were shit.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I prefer Qantas. I hate budget airlines.

We flew with them to Brisbane and back they were great. Virgin Blue on the other hand were shit.
Virgin is not a true budget airline though. In some ways yes, others no.

At many times of the day the difference between Virgin & Qantas is handing over $5 for a cup of tea and Byron Bay cookies, rather than pre-paying that in your ticket price.

Virgin have been very good to me....on a few occasions I've rocked up at the airport on el cheapo fare in time to catch an earlier flight and they've let me on. Tried once with Qantas and they told me where to go - which is fine cos if I wanted flexibility I should've paid for it.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Only ever flown from Sydney to Melb. Usually Qantas but to be honest you will only be on the plane for an hour or so, so I don't think it makes that much difference who you pick for that amount of time.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:04 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, but free food and drinks in the QANTAS club plus somewhere to sit, and showers and nice loos if you need them; preferred seating on the plane due to frequent travel, free wine on the plane ("yes I will have another thanks") is much better than what you get with Jetstar or Virgin.

As I said though, when i pay for my own flights I wil buy the cheapest, which usually means Jetstar or Virgin.

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Qantas?? They in my opinion are the worst. They have a monopoly on some routes, so you have to fly with them. Their service is poor and their planes are normally older than I am!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by jayr
Ah yes, but free food and drinks in the QANTAS club plus somewhere to sit, and showers and nice loos if you need them; preferred seating on the plane due to frequent travel, free wine on the plane ("yes I will have another thanks") is much better than what you get with Jetstar or Virgin.

As I said though, when i pay for my own flights I wil buy the cheapest, which usually means Jetstar or Virgin.
Of course Virgin has 'The Lounge' which offers the same frills as the Qantas club....only your company will probably have to spend significantly less on airfares to earn you a gold card allowing entry. Or you can pay for an annual membership to the lounge, again cheaper than Qantas club membership. The Lounge is one of the reasons VB isn't a true low cost carrier.

I associate low cost carriers with queues. I associate queues with Qantas - the situation in Brisbane for a while was just ridiculous - you were probably fortunate enough to be able to use the QC check-in.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

dr-dak is an unknown quantity at this point

Recently flew with new airline SKYAIRWORLD from brisbane to cairns. Excellent service and comfy modern aircraft. Had a meal and drinks which in this day and age is rare!