Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best airline for young Children?

Best airline for young Children?

Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Question Best airline for young Children?

Hi.. we have got to the looking at ticket stage, read loads of useful threads on air lines Singapore seems to be a favorite at the moment..

My dillema is that we will be travelling with our 15 month newly walking (hopefully) baby and boistrous 3 1/2 year old..!! fun I know, we intend to break the journey up by spending a few days in Dubai and Singapore but would like to hear from people who have done a similar journey and which airline they prefer.. as we are travelling with an infant we sould get bulk head seats and skycots/chair.. so things aren't all bad!!

Read somewhere that Gulf Air has a creche on board .. ??

Many thanks
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice
Default Re: Best airline for young Children?

I have taken my two kids with Emirates and Singapore and they love both of them. On board they are really nice with the kids and will do as much as they can to help. Would recommend either of them.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Hi we went with singapore.last year which we found was very good with children.we have 2 children boy and a girl age 9 and 7 year old.
we lovd it plus my mum and nephew and is girlfriend came out here in november and went with singapore and said there loved it.
Sorry can not help only with singapore airline but would go with them again.

Take care
Ann Marie
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 5:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Best airline for young Children???

Any one that I'm not using (sorry, couldn't resist it!!)
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
Hi we went with singapore.last year which we found was very good with children.we have 2 children boy and a girl age 9 and 7 year old.
we lovd it plus my mum and nephew and is girlfriend came out here in november and went with singapore and said there loved it.
Sorry can not help only with singapore airline but would go with them again.

Take care
Ann Marie

Quick question - What food was served to the children on Singapore Airlines ?
We read it that they get the same as the adults and my two are the fussiest ever - wouldn't touch fish or curry with a barge pole, so this has put me off taking my two on SA.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:06 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Hi.. we have got to the looking at ticket stage, read loads of useful threads on air lines Singapore seems to be a favorite at the moment..

My dillema is that we will be travelling with our 15 month newly walking (hopefully) baby and boistrous 3 1/2 year old..!! fun I know, we intend to break the journey up by spending a few days in Dubai and Singapore but would like to hear from people who have done a similar journey and which airline they prefer.. as we are travelling with an infant we sould get bulk head seats and skycots/chair.. so things aren't all bad!!

Many thanks
we went with emirates just two weeks ago and they were excellent, could not do enough for the kids.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:09 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Re: Best airline for young Children???

Any one that I'm not using (sorry, couldn't resist it!!)
beat me to it pollyanna...I'll second that...
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:47 am
Just Joined

willem-lenie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ohippy
Quick question - What food was served to the children on Singapore Airlines ?
We read it that they get the same as the adults and my two are the fussiest ever - wouldn't touch fish or curry with a barge pole, so this has put me off taking my two on SA.
If you go to www.singaporeair.com and choose a username and password you can go to your flight - meals request - and choose child meal for the kids, easy as anything
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
We are travelling with our 16 month old in 3 weeks 6 days

I did loads of research on this as I am quite worried about his sleeping arrangements.

I know BA get a bad rap but they are the only airline who provide actual car seats for toddlers that attach safely to the bulkhead. In our case it was no good as they don't do deals on one-way business class fares, so we are going Qantas. We are taking the last flight of the day (people try to get the earlier ones - albeit only by half an hour or so) as these connect through Singapore with the Oz onward flights. Hopefully we'll get another seat as we'll also be checking in early. There's just no way our little boy will fit in a SkyCot even though he meets the age requirement.

Apparently Qantas have a qualified Nanny on board each aircraft, who will take your children and entertain them if it all gets too much. This is all according to David Joseph at Austravel in London, who was Customer Services Manager for Qantas Business Class (Asia) for about 15 years.

Early last year we flew SA/Qantas/Air NZ and couldn't fault them on their childcare. We had 8 flights in 7 weeks and our little boy was a DREAM, so that probably helped. I reckon they all are when they are that tiny!!!! NOT looking forward to these flights :scared:
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:59 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Singapore were brilliant! My kids got to sit in the cockpit!
Attached Thumbnails Best airline for young Children?-adelaide-068-lia-captains-seat1.jpg  

Last edited by SteveBannister; Feb 2nd 2005 at 8:02 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
Cathay Pacific are brillant. We've flown with them 4 times and each time they've been great with the kids. All you have to do is tell them when you book you have kids and will need extra help. They get the usual activity packs, great food (and lots of it), first onboard and priority seating. Most airlines are pretty helpful when you have kids though.

JAL were ok, but nothing special. Important thing is not to worry. Kids settle on planes and go to sleep after about half an hour! I've got 3 boys, 9, 8 and 5 and all are excellent flyers! take care X
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Thank-you for all your replies.. took them florida in November for a fab holiday and the expereince of a long flight, the big difference will be a moving baby!!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:09 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

We flew to Oz with our 16 month old son last year and took the advice from this forum:

Buy your baby their own plane seat and take with you their car seat. This can be attached to the plane seat just like in a car via the seat belt. NB. remember to keep the seat with you at check-in. We didn't and it got put in with the suitcases for the 1st leg from London to Singapore ! By having the car seat on board the boy was a lot more comfortable and able to sleep properly. The basket seats attached to the bulkhead are only suitable for small babies. Buying the extra seat obviously cost us an extra £300 or so but it was definitely worth it. Another plus is that it can then be used in a taxi and in a hire car (you save money in not having to rent one from the hire company).

Final piece of advice. Book bulk head seats in advance. Ordinary seats won't have room for a car seat AND the bulk head seats will give room for the youngsters to play. Out travel agents (Trailfinders) said this couldn't be done. But I then phoned Singapore airlines and they were happy to do this.
However, for one leg when we checked in they didn't give us these. However, they were happy to change our seats to give us bulkhead ones when we explained things i.e the baby. On a 747 the best bukkhead ones are on the right hand side.

Final final peice of info. With regard to food our travel agents said for the boy their was a choice of adult food or children's food. They got this wrong. There was a third choice of baby food. Our 16 month old wasn't ready for the childrens food. (sausages etc.) So ask for the baby food. Singapore were very good and provided heated up milk whenever we asked for it.

Happy travelling

Regards,

Bryan
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice

With a "moving small-person", the only thing I can say is DONT PANIC. We took a 10month old to Canada for a holiday and she just walked around the plane for half an hour and then went to sleep!! If you are relaxed, they will be too.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Best airline for young Children?

Fantastic advice, thank-you

We flew BA to Florida so had the car seat rather than sky cot, didn't realise it was only BA that did this!!

Julie