Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Airline - UK to Perth

Best Airline - UK to Perth

Old Dec 23rd 2010, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice
Arrow Best Airline - UK to Perth

Okay, we should be close to receiving our 457 grant shortly and would like to ask what is considered the best airline flying to Perth.

I have the following shortlisted:

Virgin
BA
Quantas
Emirates

The top three take on average 19 hours and stop in Singapore. Emirates seems to stopover night in Dubai and only takes 16 hours.

I would be grateful to hear of people's experiences who have done this trip.

Thanks
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best Airline - UK to Perth

I really would never do Qantas or Emirates again (although if you go BA your flight from Asia into Perth will always be Qantas). I just don't rate them as airlines although others on here rave about them.

Everyone will say Singapore is great and I agree. I did Thai last time (using dividend miles) and was very surprised with them and would fly Thai again.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Would avoid BA/Qantas.
And wouldn't do Emirates.

Singapore.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that Virgin fly to Perth. I think that you can get as far as Singaapore or Bangkok with BA, then it's a code share with Qantas to Perth. We flew Emirates Perth-London-Perth this year and it was the worst, most uncomfortable trip I've ever done between the UK and Australia (rock hard seats, legs dangling if you're short). A return to the bad old days of airline catering - not so bad as adults can put up with it, but the kids did not fare well. On the plus side, the fares are reasonable, on-board entertainment good, their luggage allowance is good and it's the quickest way to get from London-Perth.

I've flown Malaysian (OK), Thai (good), Singapore (great), Cathay (great) and BA previously (that was the best flight, when BA had a one-plane service all the way from Perth-Singapore-London). I'm going back a few years, though .

Have a look at this link I found for another thread:
http://www.iom.int/australia/projects.html

Last edited by HelenTD; Dec 23rd 2010 at 2:24 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I don't think that Virgin fly to Perth. I think that you can get as far as Singaapore or Bangkok with BA, then it's a code share with Qantas to Perth. We flew Emirates Perth-London-Perth this year and it was the worst, most uncomfortable trip I've ever done between the UK and Australia (rock hard seats, legs dangling if you're short). A return to the bad old days of airline catering - not so bad as adults can put up with it, but the kids did not fare well. On the plus side, the fares are reasonable, on-board entertainment good, their luggage allowance is good and it's the quickest way to get from London-Perth.

I've flown Malaysian (OK), Thai (good), Singapore (great), Cathay (great) and BA previously (that was the best flight, when BA had a one-plane service all the way from Perth-Singapore-London). I'm going back a few years, though .

Have a look at this link I found for another thread:
http://www.iom.int/australia/projects.html
Thanks. The main thing that attracts us to the Emirates route is that we have three young children and a stopover will be welcome !

We will have to travel down from Scotland so the flights will probably be:

Edinburgh - London Heathrow - Dubai - Perth

What is so wrong with Emirates !
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 9:10 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colonel
Thanks. The main thing that attracts us to the Emirates route is that we have three young children and a stopover will be welcome !

We will have to travel down from Scotland so the flights will probably be:

Edinburgh - London Heathrow - Dubai - Perth

What is so wrong with Emirates !
Emirates flies from Glasgow so you can do Glasgow - Dubai - Perth. Avoid transitting Heathrow if you can!

I like Emirates...I've almost always been really happy with them. The direct flights to Glasgow are a real plus.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 11:53 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

It used to Be Emirates but now apparently there can be a 6-8hr wait at Doobs compared to the 1 hr before.

Cathay, Singapore, Thai, Qantas, Emirates. I even Did South African Airways from London to Perth recently anyway they're all good.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 11:59 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Emirates flies from Glasgow so you can do Glasgow - Dubai - Perth. Avoid transitting Heathrow if you can!

I like Emirates...I've almost always been really happy with them. The direct flights to Glasgow are a real plus.
Yes, one of the big advantages of Emirates is that they are, generally, a one stop airline from UK regional cities to Australia. Most other airlines go from London only - although SIA fly from Manchester (now using the A380 too).
Old Dec 24th 2010, 12:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
It used to Be Emirates but now apparently there can be a 6-8hr wait at Doobs compared to the 1 hr before.
UK to Aus I think all cities have about a 2hr stop in Dubai. Some also have longer stopovers available as well...but the Emirates website sometimes hides away these short stopover options so you need to browse through all the results if you only see long stopovers.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 12:03 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Ok Cool. IF you can get teh short stopover I think Emirates is the best. I did Perth to London in 2008 in like 19hrs which wasn't so bad!
Old Dec 24th 2010, 12:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Amazulu
although SIA fly from Manchester (now using the A380 too).
SIA uses the 777 from Manchester. And it's not one stop to Aus because it also makes a stop in Munich.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 1:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
SIA uses the 777 from Manchester. And it's not one stop to Aus because it also makes a stop in Munich.
My msitake. It's Emirates who use the A380 out of Manchester.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

We flew (with 2 children) with Emirates from Glasgow - Dubai - Perth (with about 2 hours in Dubai) and they were great!

If we had to choose between Quantas or Emirates it would be Emirates every time, don't have any experience of the others though.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

cazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
We flew (with 2 children) with Emirates from Glasgow - Dubai - Perth (with about 2 hours in Dubai) and they were great!

If we had to choose between Quantas or Emirates it would be Emirates every time, don't have any experience of the others though.
We are flying Jan 7th from Birmingham Airport to Dubai, its a 3 hour stop over then on to Melbourne, then Canberra and going with Emirates so hopefully they will be ok!!
Old Dec 24th 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by colonel
Okay, we should be close to receiving our 457 grant shortly and would like to ask what is considered the best airline flying to Perth.

I have the following shortlisted:

Virgin
BA
Quantas
Emirates

The top three take on average 19 hours and stop in Singapore. Emirates seems to stopover night in Dubai and only takes 16 hours.

I would be grateful to hear of people's experiences who have done this trip.

Thanks
Air Asia..I've flown with them numerous times and there are no complaints from me(except the food)!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.