British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bereavement flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bereavement-flights-852434/)

riccardo1888 Feb 9th 2015 8:16 pm

Bereavement flights

Hi everyone,

Had some bad news and wondering if anyone knows of airlines with bereavement flights ? Flights at $1750 are the cheapest I can find just now.

Thanks

koalakim Feb 9th 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Bereavement flights

Sorry to hear about your bad news.

I don't know if they do that sort of thing these days, the price you've quoted is pretty good. I think they will find you a seat in the circumstances if the flight is showing full but not sure about discounts.

I had to do this last year when I had to fly back for my Dad's funeral but just booked whatever the price was, fortunately for Singapore they were pretty good prices at the time and had the availability.

Not nice having to do that flight for those reasons so take care.

riccardo1888 Feb 9th 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks for the reply !

I'll give them a try anyway.

BEVS Feb 9th 2015 8:36 pm

Sad news and I am sorry for your loss.

Contact a few of the airlines direct and tell them it is a bereavement flight. They will likely find you a seat and may offer a discount. You might also have the seat next to you blocked to respect your privacy at this time. Plus you may be checked straight through.

Please note that you may be required to give the airline proof of bereavement so please do not be offended by this.

I gave a copy of the death cert . It is for their records & to ensure the help is not abused.

Pollyana Feb 9th 2015 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by riccardo1888 (Post 11560695)
Hi everyone,

Had some bad news and wondering if anyone knows of airlines with bereavement flights ? Flights at $1750 are the cheapest I can find just now.

Thanks

You have my sympathy, horrible reason for having to fly :(

You'll just have to go with general flight prices, although some airlines will pull out the stops to get you on a flight at short notice if you tell them the reason why. Crews are often very good at looking after bereaved passengers too - they'll keep an eye out for you getting upset for instance. When I flew home cos my Dad passed away Qantas offered a crew member to stay with me during the Singapore transit (I refused, but nice to be offered!) and I got a free upgrade on JAL coming back.

Hope you manage to find a reasonable price.

riccardo1888 Feb 9th 2015 8:45 pm

Ok thanks guys.

GarryP Feb 9th 2015 9:13 pm

:(

I'd follow the advice of contacting direct, but I'd also have some prices in my back pocket as well. A quick search on kayak is showing some $1300 Royal Brunei flights and some $1700 Qatar.

riccardo1888 Feb 9th 2015 9:42 pm

Kayak ? Will need to try that

Gillymonkey Feb 9th 2015 10:16 pm

Condolences.

Like others have said many airlines no longer offer bereavement flights. BA were kind enough however to refund a ticket I had purchased for later in the year and wouldn't use as couldn't afford two trips (it was a non-refundable ticket). I just had to provide a copy of the death certificate.

GarryP Feb 9th 2015 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by riccardo1888 (Post 11560794)
Kayak ? Will need to try that

KAYAK - Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets, Cheap Travel Deals - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once

irishbloo Feb 9th 2015 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by riccardo1888 (Post 11560695)
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Sorry to hear you have had bad news.No matter where you live its always hard.I hope you get your flights back sorted soon.:fingerscrossed:

moneypenny20 Feb 10th 2015 9:19 am

You have my sympathies. Direct may work. We got no help with Cathay when we had to do the same journey last year. Didn't even get a 'oh that's sad'.

BEVS Feb 10th 2015 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11561180)
You have my sympathies. Direct may work. We got no help with Cathay when we had to do the same journey last year. Didn't even get a 'oh that's sad'.

THat's dreadful.

My flights were with Emirates - if that helps at all.

riccardo1888 Feb 10th 2015 11:48 pm

Thanks everyone. Skyscanner look like the cheapest.

bcworld Feb 11th 2015 12:14 am

Sorry to hear about your situation.

On bereavement flights...sometimes people misunderstand them...they generally don't involve a discount, so you shouldn't expect to find anything cheaper than what you'll see online. What they do tend to offer is flexibility over and above the normal conditions for a fare...e.g. free date changes etc. when normally a fee would apply.