Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Benefits of Front Loading Medicals

Benefits of Front Loading Medicals

Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:32 am
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Benefits of Front Loading Medicals

Some info which I thought might be useful...

I've just been chasing my agent for an update following our medicals and chest x-rays which took place unrequested at the end of Feb.

He explained to me that one of the main reasons for front loading these is to try and use the way that DIMIA processes applications to your advantage.

DIMIA apparently have a financial year end that happens in July. What they usually do in the run up to this date is look to squeeze as many applications into a financial year as is possible. To do this they look through outstanding cases and try to identify which ones have all criteria met (i.e. medicals done, chest x-rays done, etc.) and are just waiting to be assessed. If they find one that is in this position then it's possible that it might get approved earlier than would otherwise be expected so that they can squeeze it in before the end of the financial year.

My agent said that we should expect a request for the bond sometime in June/July but that it could be earlier dependant on whether the situation described above arises.

As an aside, he also said that the process for application typically involves a 12 month turnaround time (for skilld ind I guess ?). The first 8 months are usually spent with your case sitting in a queue in DIMIA waiting to be assessed. The final 4 months start with a request for medicals and chest x-rays and finish with the granting of the visa. It's this final 4 months where all of the work takes place, the first 8 months are just a waiting game.

It all seems like a good reason for front loading to me !
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

When did you submit your application??????????
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:39 am
99.99999% there !

Only one downside that I can think of with taking this approach though...

Once the medicals are done then the clock is ticking. You have 12 months from the date of medicals or police checks (whichever is earlier) to get out to AUS and get the visas validates. If you don't get your visas approved in time then it would mean having to go through the medicals and/or police checks again :scared:

Best not to front load too much in advance I guess !
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:40 am
99.99999% there !

Submitted at beginning of October 2003. Police checks on 31st Dec 2003 and medicals on 28th Feb 2004.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

In my opinion I would have though you would have been ago, they are requesting some Oct meds now anyway.
We submitted Nov 03 and had meds done last friday (unrequested) am really hoping to hear before August
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:53 am
99.99999% there !

Let's hope the that what my agent is telling me is true and that DIMIA start surprising us with early approvals
Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:00 am

aidbish is an unknown quantity at this point

what visa class is this ???
Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by EssexNobby
Let's hope the that what my agent is telling me is true and that DIMIA start surprising us with early approvals

Here, here

skilled independant visa
Old Mar 29th 2004, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Paul & Shar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by S Oldfield
In my opinion I would have though you would have been ago, they are requesting some Oct meds now anyway.
We submitted Nov 03 and had meds done last friday (unrequested) am really hoping to hear before August
Hi Sandra

Just a few questions for you! (re: the above subject)

You have had you meds done unrequested, will you now send them? or wait for them to be requested?

Will you courier them there and how do you know they will find their way to your application?

May seem silly questions but you have quite a few posts and seem quite knowledgable!

Thanks

Shar
Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Shar & Paul
we did our meds last week, unrequested, we have paid the doctor to courier them to Adelaide, your question re: how will they find there way to your application is not silly at all, we were acknowledged a few days after submitting the application in October and we were given a file number which we have put on our medical forms,
hope this helps
Rach x
Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:46 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya nosuchluck,

when I did mine last year in Birmingham, because we hadn't yet applied to DIMIA the Meds were sent to us at our home address for us to forward with our application.

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark
long time no speak, how is your application coming along?
hope that its all going well for you?
Rach