Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Benefits and Assurance of Support

Benefits and Assurance of Support

Old Sep 12th 2003, 8:01 am
Just Joined

bertie100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Benefits and Assurance of Support

I am abit confused about the assurance bond we have lodged and what benefits we are entitled to. Don't get me wrong - I am not out to get everything possible - I am not a blagger - I will work as soon as we get out to Oz.

We have two kids - if we choose to claim child benefit, family assistance, etc, I know we can do this in the first two years - but is this claimed back through our assurance at the end of the two years?

I can't get onto the centrelink website at the moment to check.

I'm not bothered - we have kind of forgotten about the assurance money - it's just out of interest.

Cheers

Andy
Old Sep 12th 2003, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

We will be in the same boat and would like to know too.

I heard you weren't entitled to any benefits in the 1st 2 years but then I heard that any benefits you claim are deducted from your A of S at the end of the 2 years when they give you back the balance.

Also, is it correct that we can lodge the AofS with the CWb of Australia or do we have to send it to our Sponsor for them to do it in their name?
I read that it didn't have to be in their name but kinda felt they were saying that someone else could lodge the money, not the people applying for PR.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 1:04 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

As i understand it you cannot claim anything other that family allowance in the first two years. If you do the money will be taken from your bond, if you go over the bond amount then your assurers have the money taken from them (they'll love that hey?)
If you don't claim any thing you get the bond back after the 2 years, but don't expect interest!
On the subject of posting the bond we sent a cheque to my cousin, and she paid the c w bank, oh and be aware that you have to pay another $200 on top of the bond to open the account!
Old Sep 12th 2003, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by h garrett
As i understand it you cannot claim anything other that family allowance in the first two years. If you do the money will be taken from your bond, if you go over the bond amount then your assurers have the money taken from them (they'll love that hey?)
If you don't claim any thing you get the bond back after the 2 years, but don't expect interest!
On the subject of posting the bond we sent a cheque to my cousin, and she paid the c w bank, oh and be aware that you have to pay another $200 on top of the bond to open the account!
Thanks.

Yes, I've already had an e-mail from my cous reminding me that they are poor and wouldn't be able to pay anything!

Thanks for the info about the $200 on top, useful to know.

How much child benefit do you get for 3 kids? I believe it varies there with the amount you earn?

thanks.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 6:11 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

can't help with tha amount thing, but someone did say that it was more than here, but perhaps thats just another ozzie myth!