Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:52 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

What is it about the Christian faith or Catholicism that frightens people so much People are happy to take the 'better' education, 'better facilities' etc of a private Christian or Catholic school but think the downside of it is that their child will be exposed to Christianity. The saddest thing in the UK at the moment is the level of political correctness that prevents any kind of Christianity being displayed at school assembly. Kids grow up now with no spiritual guidance which I think is very sad.
My children will be educated in Catholic schools because I am proud of my faith and I want my children to have an opportunity to learn about that faith with their own friends in the school environment.
Being a Christian or being a Catholic is NOT something to be ashamed of!

Carolyn
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:55 am
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NAC
What is it about the Christian faith or Catholicism that frightens people so much People are happy to take the 'better' education, 'better facilities' etc of a private Christian or Catholic school but think the downside of it is that their child will be exposed to Christianity. The saddest thing in the UK at the moment is the level of political correctness that prevents any kind of Christianity being displayed at school assembly. Kids grow up now with no spiritual guidance which I think is very sad.
My children will be educated in Catholic schools because I am proud of my faith and I want my children to have an opportunity to learn about that faith with their own friends in the school environment.

Carolyn
Somebody pass the popcorn.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:02 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my brothers and sister all got Catholic pre-school, primary and secondary educations and we've all turned out atheist. To be honest, they're their own worst enemy - they pump all this nonsense at you and it has the opposite effect they hope for. Softly softly has never been the Catholic way, but in 2000 years you think they'd have sussed out that kids are a lot smarter than they give them credit for.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAC
My children will be educated in Catholic schools because I am proud of my faith
See what you've done there - the big 'I'? If your kids buy into it, fair enough, but aren't you in danger of imposing something on them? My mother travelled that road (as I mentioned above) and it had the opposite effect she was hoping for. If my son discovers christianity or buddhism or any other form of spirituality then fair play to him, but I'm not going to force him one way or the other.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:18 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Hutch
See what you've done there - the big 'I'? If your kids buy into it, fair enough, but aren't you in danger of imposing something on them? My mother travelled that road (as I mentioned above) and it had the opposite effect she was hoping for. If my son discovers christianity or buddhism or any other form of spirituality then fair play to him, but I'm not going to force him one way or the other.
I know it perhaps read like that but no I wouldn't force anything on them. My husband's an agnostic (think's that if there is a God he's got a funny sense of humour). When I go to Mass I ask the kids if they want to go and if the answer is no (which usually it is!) then that's fine. All I'm saying is that I want them to have the opportunity to hear both sides of the story. There will be absolutely no pressure on them from me to believe anything. They will grow up to be their own person with their own views which is the way it should be. They are not my possessions to force any beliefs on. We just want them to have an education that gives them some Christian focus.

Carolyn
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAC

Carolyn
Okay Carolyn, and I'm digressing to a a discussion in an earlier post....but I have my own beliefs. However, for my child to go the nearest 'good' Christian School (which would be my choice) I have to have a letter from either my Vicar in the UK or my Vicar here to say that I have attended Church at least 2-3 times per month for the last 12-18 months. Impossible while emigrating/travelling and having a newborn baby.

If I start now I will be in time to get my (nearly 2 year old) into the school of my (religious) choice, (although not now moral - more of which later).

We've only been here for 4 months. Sadly the Vicar that Christened our youngest was killed in an accident shortly before we arrived, (oh and my Uncle is the Bishop of Coventry), but I am not prepared to mention these things just so I can get my children into a school which favours my religion. It doesn't matter how proud I might be of my religious background I'm more interested in principles and standards than hypocrisy, and that's what I'll be teaching my children.

Hope this doesn't come across as strident, but I wanted you to see where I am coming from
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:27 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bondipom
Catholic school is great to put your kids off religion, tolerate beatings and drink lots. Useless for sex education. At least that is my experience.
And what decade are you living in?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:35 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

If you want your kids brainwashed into feeling guilty their whole lifes by that arsehole the pope send them to catholic school
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:36 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

My children attend Catholic schools in the UK and I would prefer for them to continue with a Catholic education when we reach Perth so I'm interested in Perthite responses to this thread.
In terms of indoctrination, our children absorb information from many different sources, and we as their parents have to make decisions regarding what we feel is best for them and their futures until a point comes when they can make their own choices. And that includes religion as well as many other life choices ie emigrating to a country half way round the world
Gillian
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:42 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Okay Carolyn, and I'm digressing to a a discussion in an earlier post....but I have my own beliefs. However, for my child to go the nearest 'good' Christian School (which would be my choice) I have to have a letter from either my Vicar in the UK or my Vicar here to say that I have attended Church at least 2-3 times per month for the last 12-18 months. Impossible while emigrating/travelling and having a newborn baby.

If I start now I will be in time to get my (nearly 2 year old) into the school of my (religious) choice, (although not now moral - more of which later).

We've only been here for 4 months. Sadly the Vicar that Christened our youngest was killed in an accident shortly before we arrived, (oh and my Uncle is the Bishop of Coventry), but I am not prepared to mention these things just so I can get my children into a school which favours my religion. It doesn't matter how proud I might be of my religious background I'm more interested in principles and standards than hypocrisy, and that's what I'll be teaching my children.

Hope this doesn't come across as strident, but I wanted you to see where I am coming from
Hi there
Hope you don't think anything I said was directed at you In my opinion I don't think it matters how often parents take their children to church etc - I don't think that should be relevent to the school. What I was upset with is the attitude of some people who seem to think that any type of religious teaching in a school is a negative thing. If you put your child to a religious school you have to take the whole package and not 'worry' about how much time will be spent on the religious side of things. If we chose a Buddhist school for example I would fully accept that they would learn about Buddhism.
I totally agree with you and think there is a lot of hyporcisy involved and I can really sympathise with your situation. I'm sorry that you can't get the school of your choice.

Hope things work out for you

Carolyn
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:44 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Religion in this day and age it beggars belief
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:44 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

The title of the thread is Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic? i have thought about this and i can only say if the education is better than you can get any where else then that is a benefit, if you don't have any strong beliefs either way then yeah maybe thats ok, if you do have strong beliefs that arent Catholic then i'm not so sure. If you spoke only english and the best school in town spoke only swahili, would you put them there?

The one thing you want to avoid is putting them there and then deciding it was a mistake and move them somewhere else, unsettling them does no good irrespective of how good the education is.

i think the state system here is great, no religion to worry about.

A very tough question that only you can find the right answer too, perhaps you will receive devine intervention (sorry couldn't resist!)

Lynn
Old Jul 27th 2005, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
..............until a point comes when they can make their own choices. And that includes religion as well as many other life choices.............
Gillian
Oh yes, of course they can make their own choice about religion can't they. The fact that they have been brainwashed and indoctrinated in the meantime doesn't come into it I suppose. I wonder what percentage of Catholic kids become Anglican, or Muslim. Or how many Methodist kids decide that the Catholic way is best. They should ban religion in all schools and stop state funding. If parents want to brainwash their children don't get the state to do it their dirty work.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Oh yes, of course they can make their own choice about religion can't they. The fact that they have been brainwashed and indoctrinated in the meantime doesn't come into it I suppose. I wonder what percentage of Catholic kids become Anglican, or Muslim. Or how many Methodist kids decide that the Catholic way is best. They should ban religion in all schools and stop state funding. If parents want to brainwash their children don't get the state to do it their dirty work.

Ned I agree with you, and that's a shame as I think you're a complete tosser.

HTH
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:09 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Religion in this day and age it beggars belief

Why should it beggar belief.... we accept race, sexuality,etc....why not faith ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.