Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Just wondering if there are any??

May have opportunity to send Littluns to Catholic Private School, but we aren't. Can anyone see any advantages/disadvantages.

Renth, if you are reading this you probably know the one I mean so would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks all

Mrs J

Last edited by Wave the Sails; Jul 27th 2005 at 3:59 am.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefit of Catholic School if you're not Catholic?

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

May have opportunity to send Littluns to Catholic Private School, but we aren't. Can anyone see any advantages/disadvantages.

Renth, if you are reading this you probably know the one I mean so would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks all

Mrs J

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but if you're of a different faith, isn't there going to be a disconnect between what your children will be told at school and what they will get at home.

Jeremy
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Maybe I'm stating the obvious but if you're of a different faith, isn't there going to be a disconnect between what your children will be told at school and what they will get at home.

Jeremy
Yes perhaps, but we're not of strong enough religious background for any type of religion to massively impact on our family. If anyone thinks that's naive please tell me, as that's why I've posted. It's the 'same old, same old' story. Can't get one child into school of choice as we don't go to Church 3 times per month. Would rather children thought their Mum believed in 'God' rather than being a liar
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes perhaps, but we're not of strong enough religious background for any type of religion to massively impact on our family. If anyone thinks that's naive please tell me, as that's why I've posted. It's the 'same old, same old' story. Can't get one child into school of choice as we don't go to Church 3 times per month. Would rather children thought their Mum believed in 'God' rather than being a liar

If your 'school of choice' is run by another denomination and you feel strongly enough that it would offer the right kind of education for your child, why not start attending church in that denomination?

Most mainstream churches won't care very much about your 'background'.

Otherwise - what's wrong with a regular state school?

These are pretty personal issues you have to decide. All I'm suggesting is you think about what faith (or none) you'd like your child exposed to at an impressionable age and let that guide your decision. Different denominations are not 'all the same'.

Jeremy
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
If your 'school of choice' is run by another denomination and you feel strongly enough that it would offer the right kind of education for your child, why not start attending church in that denomination?

Most mainstream churches won't care very much about your 'background'.

Otherwise - what's wrong with a regular state school?

These are pretty personal issues you have to decide. All I'm suggesting is you think about what faith (or none) you'd like your child exposed to at an impressionable age and let that guide your decision. Different denominations are not 'all the same'.

Jeremy
Yes good point, thanks for that. I just want them both at the same school from pre-primary to year 12 if at all possible.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:34 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks all

Mrs J
My sister sent her two kids to Catholic school, and neither started off or turned out Catholic

I must admit that I was astonished when I originally heard what school they were going to, (this was many years ago), but I don't see many problems.

My own daughter goes to a Christian School, and I allow her to investigate that faith, even though my own views are best not discussed with her till she is older

Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My sister sent her two kids to Catholic school, and neither started off or turned out Catholic

I must admit that I was astonished when I originally heard what school they were going to, (this was many years ago), but I don't see many problems.

My own daughter goes to a Christian School, and I allow her to investigate that faith, even though my own views are best not discussed with her till she is older
Thanks for that. It's a tough one isn't it?

I went to a C of E School in Cheltenham where we had chapel 4 times per week. It was just the routine. I think we all played wink murder during the prayers for a good few years

Mum goes to Church every Sunday, Dad is an Atheist, but it's rarely discussed. They just happily get on with it. But then I suppose you do after 35 years of marriage

I don't remember much religious discourse at home during my (much) younger years.

Mrs J
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:59 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. It's a tough one isn't it?

I went to a C of E School in Cheltenham where we had chapel 4 times per week. It was just the routine. I think we all played wink murder during the prayers for a good few years

Mum goes to Church every Sunday, Dad is an Atheist, but it's rarely discussed. They just happily get on with it. But then I suppose you do after 35 years of marriage

I don't remember much religious discourse at home during my (much) younger years.

Mrs J
Many people rub along nicely being of different faiths. Many do not and the basic doctrine of the catholic faith many have some impact on family, especially as a previous poster stated the children are of a very young impressionable age. Having a Catholic Mother and a Protestant Dad, it lead me to be a very confirmed agnostic. As a personal choice I would not send my children to a school whose ideas of choice could differ so much from my own. I would suggest you check out the religious influence of the school. I am sure that Catholic day school in Aus might be far from my upbringing in a protestant boarding school where I just about commited a mortal sin because I refused to be confirmed at 12, but I would check. Schools differ and as you said you may need personal experience of the school.

Now and again I do offer (threaten) my daughter with the option of a very strict Catholic boarding school in Northern Ireland - I know how those Nuns terrified my friends :scared:

I would also like to state, the best laid plans of having children at the same school is not always the best idea. I had the kids at excellent separate schools in England because they were the best choices for them individually. Here the same school is the best option but they hate it (being together) and it does cause some problems.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Mrs J

There is another thread that you may be interested in reading.

I wrote about my daughter attending a catholic school.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315354

Regards
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:23 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

So long as its a 'normal' catholic school and not a 'evangelistic' one ie they get 1 religion ed class a week rather than assembly every day to jump up & down, pray to Jeebus then they should be fine. They'll get taught all faiths (even if only to ridicule them - no seriously Im joking they respect all faiths even the hokey ones.... oh there I go again).

Stay away from anyone in a black habit , any blokes in dresses, teacher-priests on campus, and you should be fine - if you tick any of the above in double-digits run for the hills.

I went to a catholic boys school but it didnt have nuns, monks, or priests in it (they'd all been beaten up and tied to the trees by the 5th year kids). My parents didnt take me to church in the whole 18yrs I lived with them, apart for maybe for baptism( I assume they went) , 1st confession/communion/confirmation oh and i think they came to our wedding. Jeebus may or may not have attended. RE was an easy o-level to get.

Ive been in some of these evangelistic schools and they scare me frankly. A good way to sort them out is ask them about dinosaurs, and wether Dinosaurs pre-dated or post-dated adam and eve.... they havent quite worked out the proper answer to that, watch them squirm.

<posted without meaning to cause serious offense to anybody of any religion, denomination, faith, or even vegetarians>
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Most catholic schools are well aware they get used as a cheap alternative to private education and accordingly only accept the nominal % of non catholic students they have to accept to get all the state funding they need as the fees are so cheap.

Most of the catholic schools around here only take 10% non catholic so getting a place is difficult anyway, kids cousins go to one, they are catholic and religious instruction is daily not once a week, fair enough if thats why your sending them there, they also expect weekly church and communion etc.

There are also anglican schools, lutheran schools, christian outreach etc but the fees are usually higher, I guess thats why its the catholic schools that are asked after, people dont really want the religion but the cheapo fees
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:44 am
Badge

Originally Posted by spalen
So long as its a 'normal' catholic school and not a 'evangelistic' one ie they get 1 religion ed class a week rather than assembly every day to jump up & down, pray to Jeebus then they should be fine. They'll get taught all faiths (even if only to ridicule them - no seriously Im joking they respect all faiths even the hokey ones.... oh there I go again).

Stay away from anyone in a black habit , any blokes in dresses, teacher-priests on campus, and you should be fine - if you tick any of the above in double-digits run for the hills.

I went to a catholic boys school but it didnt have nuns, monks, or priests in it (they'd all been beaten up and tied to the trees by the 5th year kids). My parents didnt take me to church in the whole 18yrs I lived with them, apart for maybe for baptism( I assume they went) , 1st confession/communion/confirmation oh and i think they came to our wedding. Jeebus may or may not have attended. RE was an easy o-level to get.

Ive been in some of these evangelistic schools and they scare me frankly. A good way to sort them out is ask them about dinosaurs, and wether Dinosaurs pre-dated or post-dated adam and eve.... they havent quite worked out the proper answer to that, watch them squirm.

<posted without meaning to cause serious offense to anybody of any religion, denomination, faith, or even vegetarians>
yup that's the way. My church school headmaster was more concerned with the First Fifteen results more than anything else. I got my RE GCSE reasonably easy. And, there was a pool and loadsa cricket and rugby pitches.

Jad and Rich - spot on.

Badge

Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone see any advantages/disadvantages.
They will make loads of friends as Catholics breed loads of kids. The Pope says they should.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Catholic school is great to put your kids off religion, tolerate beatings and drink lots. Useless for sex education. At least that is my experience.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:44 am
Banned

Ozzy4life will become famous soon enoughOzzy4life will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bondipom
Useless for sex education. At least that is my experience.
Do you need educating?
I thought it was the other way at catholic schools, the teachers take a very active role in educating the youngsters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.