Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is beneficial to move over to OZ or NOT ???

Wikiposts

Is beneficial to move over to OZ or NOT ???

Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it beneficial to move over to OZ or NOT ???

[QUOTE=jad n rich]
Originally Posted by jonjon
Ok have only been around the site for a few weeks and have seen a lot of people saying how great it is out there. However I also seen quite a lot of negative stuff coming up, Heat, Flies, lack of jobs, skills not rated, etc.

Nothing wrong with a bit of serious research, more people should ask these questions, too many posts on here say after arriving I didnt know that, often to do with teaching placements, licences, casual hours, climate all stuff people could find out first not after.

Aussies statistically work longer hours.
Pensions are means tested most wont get one.
Jobs, read seriously up on work place reform :scared:
House prices most places double what they were 5 years ago.
Future prospects, smaller economy and again work place reform.
Crime levels actually quite similar, some areas lower some like rape higher
Weather, everywhere has its bad weather be it the winter in perth melby or the summer in bris or adelaide.
Education is different, some like it that way some definately dont!
Kids protect them from the sun like you'd protect them from rain and they will flourish if mum and dad are happy, a large % seem to object to aus in the teenage years and many flit back tho.
Some good points there!!!!

some like rape higher. I have read that there is a high level of rape in australia compared to the UK. Think that is one of the highest crimes over there isn't it?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is beneficial to move over to OZ or NOT ???

[QUOTE=jonjon]
Originally Posted by flapsterhp

Ok answer me this question what are your main expectations and fears about the move
To be totaly honest, I don't know. I guess quality of outdoor life with my family (not $ worth) I know it's a cheesy answer but there are so many things on both sides of the coin. Talking a load of crap I know, but deep down I know it's the right thing to do. Andy
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tracey.d]
Originally Posted by jad n rich

Some good points there!!!!

some like rape higher. I have read that there is a high level of rape in australia compared to the UK. Think that is one of the highest crimes over there isn't it?
People have posted crime stats, to be honest I dont remember, there were several crime rates that were higher, some similar some lower. Whatever it was it all goes on here too, the difference is crimes will make a small headling, like the 12/13/14 year olds doing a gang rape, now in the UK that would be front page, its less in your face.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:34 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I think when alot of people move they change their whole mind set. They are wanting more out of life, and with the move to a new country are forced to do new things, make new friends, spend more time with their family, and probably thats not a bad thing.

Regarding jobs, houses, cost of living etc every immigrant will see it differently. Some will be losing out financially but gaining more so in other areas of their life. Other will be making alot more money than they were in the Uk.

Crime I think is about the same per person. Oz has only a third the population of Uk and way more spread out so it could seem crime in Oz is a lot less.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Work life balance & jobs - depends on your job. The first job my husband's done is horrid but the department's understaffed and the boss is a nasty piece of work. We know plenty of other people here who still start extremely early but are home by 6pm and spend better time with their families.

Education - different. They often hold their kids back till almost age 6 because the little darlings aren't ready yet & they have much longer term times (12 weeks holiday at most) but they don't mind you taking kids out of school for holidays as travel gives them extra experience. Classes seem to be under 20 kids (although someone will probably correct me as I only know our school). A lot of people (I think I heard 40% send their kids to private or catholic schools) which are usually cheaper (but not by much) than the English ones. Apart from the logistics though most people here are very pleased with their kids schools (at least primary which is all I know), kids are more relaxed

Pensions - I'd do a search on this because it still confuses me but basically private pensions pay out an amount based on what you've paid in which comes as a lump sum when you retire and then you have to decide how to make an income from it. Obviously you lose if you transfer between a UK and Oz scheme but you lose if you transfer between schemes in the UK. No idea about government pensions.

Cost of living - expensive and I'm new here. They're going through a bit of an economic crisis at the moment. Fuel prices soared and increased distribution costs along with a water shortage have led to an increased price in most goods, particularly fruit and veg. People are cutting back and realising expensive properties they bought are too much for them so they're going back on the market. This may work in our favour but I can't be glad about it.

House prices - depends on where you are. The further you are out of the city the more you get for your money. In Melbourne the cheapest house you get (I guess) is around $300000 but I don't know what you get for your money or how far out you'd have to go for that. Most people look between £400 and $500k. The big properties which are new with landscaped gardens, tennis courts and pools around the North Eastern suburbs are around the $1m mark.

Life for the kids - what do you want? My kids aren't sporty but she's still taken up judo and gymnastics and he does gymnastics and swimming. They're building up sets of friends and already wouldn't want to go back to the UK although they loved it there. There are many opportunities for anything they'd want to do but if they just want to watch TV and play video games you'll have to pay more for Foxtel and I think games are more expensive. Obviously surfing and outdoor sports are big here. We'll encourage them to do stuff and they'll make their own choices. Activities are expensive $11 for an hours gymn, $7 for judo, $14 for trampolining, etc.

Future prospects - don't know till we get there.

Crime Levels - a friend of mine was a chef in the UK and dad was high up in the police force, he moved over here & wanted a new occupation so joined the police service over here. He says he walks past beautiful spots and knows of murders, rapes, etc. that have happened there, but he also says it's only a fraction of what would have happened 10 years ago in the UK and that he feels much safer here. I think the feeling of safety is a biggy. People don't hang onto their bags as tight, they leave their cars unlocked (and some of them pay for this behaviour) but their confidence is catching and crime does seem to be less.

Weather - we're in Melbourne and it's been a very mild winter. We can buy a house up a hill because we don't need to worry about skidding or becoming snowbound as it doesn't ever get that cold. I'm worried about the summer months as Spring is hot for me (my daughter usually calls me Rudolph in Summer because my nose glows before scabbing over beautifully with sunburn) and we're likely to hit the 40's and apparently this is cold compared with the rest of Australia.

When it comes down to it I love the friendliness and acceptance of the Australians, we were interested in building next door to some friends and they didn't ask how it would affect them, it would be our property so our decision, in the UK you'd have to negotiate with Kofi Annan's skills or risk never speaking again (or worse) if you proposed an extension which may affect light, views, etc.

I've been so welcomed here, admittedly I'm not shy and do my fair share of gabbing as you may have noticed, but everyone expats and natives alike are so very friendly (especially if you've kids to talk about and take places).

Oh and car park spaces are bigger - you can actually open your door and get out when someone's parked next to you.

One final point I moved around UK quite a bit so am used to a phone relationship with family and friends and to starting again in a new place. I think I would have had it harder if I wasn't familiar with the culture shock (which can be just as hard just moving a county away).

Make the right decision for you. Just before we left we had a lovely summer and saw all our friends and I wondered what I was doing. No longer, I just feel so sorry for people who invest so much in coming and are unhappy.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 5:21 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Beneficial - it will be so subjective to each person.

So for myself and family

Worklife balance - hubby took a car sales job as it was all he could find at first and I only had 12 weekends with him a year for two years - that sucked. I work the same amount of hours as I did in the UK which for my position is a lot, but I enjoy my job and earning the money. He is back on shift now and we do have the weekends but he does say he is lonely during the weekdays. I have taken 3 years to get back to what I would deem a reasonable comparable position, but admit I had a lot of fun and heartache along the way.

Education - same same, we have one child who is thriving, but would anywhere because of personal drive, getting the shit kicked out of him cause of a certain bully did not help but could happen anywhere. The other hates school, life the world but don't all 13 yr old girls.

Pensions - government ones will not be viable anywhere in 20 years so what I put in I will get out if I invest wisely.

Cost of living - same as anywhere, you set your own standard. We have more here in some ways and less because of the different costs. I don't tend to try and compare now cause I can fight both sides of the argument. On a personal level Sydney ain't cheap when you factor in house prices.

House prices - job was in Sydney but would have been better off in Melbourne. We have a big big house here but had a very decent four bed in a nice area in the UK. Bigger % of income mortgage here but that is through choice of area.

Life for the kids - different activities, we were always an active family so we just have different pursuits.

Future prospects - I hope to live back in Europe for a few years before I retire somewhere, Australia is just one option for us now. The kids 15 and 13 both intend to work back in the UK for a time at least, they will have the choice with citizenship we can get sorted this year. We have made our horizons wider with our choices.

Crime levels - exactly the same.

Weather - nice, but I never hated the UK, skin cancer is more of a worry with hubby and the kids but you live and learn and adapt.

Other things - My life is about my family and not just the place I live. We have grown and developed though moving and I am glad we did it. I will also add we earn decent money and had a fair amount to move with so I will not have faced the same challenges others may have. I have managed to get back to the UK once a year and this for me makes a huge difference. I only plan on Australia being a place where I live now I don't have to say it is forever.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I am not particularly negative.

I just don't really think Australia is a better place to live than the UK.

I have spent a lot of time there and just don't get the attraction

I like the UK and get annoyed when people feel they need to knock it.

Apart from that: same shit...different bucket.

I am moving for family reasons and because I can.

G
Why the arrogance? almost every post I see from you is arrogant and argumentive. Are you in fact Victor Meldrew, because this is how you come across
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Why the arrogance? almost every post I see from you is arrogant and argumentive. Are you in fact Victor Meldrew, because this is how you come across
Good job I don't give a flying f**k what you think then

G
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Good job I don't give a flying f**k what you think then

G
You miserable old f*****, typical old c*** with f**** all else to do than moan, please stay in the UK and do Australia a favour.
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You miserable old f*****, typical old c*** with f**** all else to do than moan, please stay in the UK and do Australia a favour.
Charming

G
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:38 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Did you two get out of the wrong side of the bed or something
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brisben
Did you two get out of the wrong side of the bed or something
Not me, I'm as happy as a dog with 2 bones

It's old Grayling, I expect his arthritis / piles are playing up a bit as the weather is getting a bit chilly now in the UK
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:48 pm
Bitter and twisted

It's old Grayling, I expect his arthritis / piles are playing up a bit as the weather is getting a bit chilly now in the UK
How did you know

G
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:48 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Not me, I'm as happy as a dog with 2 bones

Alright Kev

When you doing the ofski then?
Old Oct 21st 2005, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brisben
Alright Kev

When you doing the ofski then?
Is that Ben to Brisbane? (how come you changed your username), I searched for you the other day and see your account was no longer there.

We are off on holiday on the 6th November, hoping to move out early next year sometime.

What are you up to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.