Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A belated apology to all Kiwis!

A belated apology to all Kiwis!

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default A belated apology to all Kiwis!

I noticed in my Australian Sports Diary that on 1st February 1981 the infamous incident at the MCG occurred. Greg Chappell, the Australian captain, ordered his brother Trevor to bowl the last ball of the 3rd ODI underarm so NZ couldn't get a six to tie the match.

I was amazed it was as long as 23 years ago. It was an underhand thing to do if you'll pardon the pun. Greg Chappell was unrepentent at the time (anything's fair to win if it is within the law etc) but I think he mellowed on it over the years.

It's nearly as bad as Jonny with his kicking to win rugby matches.

OzTennis
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:09 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A belated apology to all Kiwis!

Originally posted by OzTennis
I noticed in my Australian Sports Diary that on 1st February 1981 the infamous incident at the MCG occurred. Greg Chappell, the Australian captain, ordered his brother Trevor to bowl the last ball of the 3rd ODI underarm so NZ couldn't get a six to tie the match.

I was amazed it was as long as 23 years ago. It was an underhand thing to do if you'll pardon the pun. Greg Chappell was unrepentent at the time (anything's fair to win if it is within the law etc) but I think he mellowed on it over the years.

It's nearly as bad as Jonny with his kicking to win rugby matches.

OzTennis
Yes, except there's nothing underhand about kicking a goal to win rugby.....bowling underarm however is not common practice at national/international level.......

Ozzies are poor losers........

Rich.