Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being sensible....

Being sensible....

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Being sensible....

Decided that its about a time I tried to act like a grown up, so Im having my will written up on next week!

Living in a long term relationship with two kiddies from a previous marriage. Have the usual super, life insurance and mortgage.

Any advice on how to divi up the proceeds etc. Anybody else in a similar situation? Or shall I just make the solicitor earn his $250 for a half hour appointment! I am so in the wrong job!

donna
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: Being sensible....

and the end of the day only YOU can decide how to divi it all up... solicitor will only remind you of things that you may or maynot have to divi up... things like jewellry and other personal items plus the major like super, house etc.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:11 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

he will also prob give you loads of different scenerios that you need to consider..

Heres ours.. roughly... intimate details left out..

We considered these scenerios.. should i die.. everything to husband and he has kids anyway.. if OH die then everything to me and I have kids anyway..

If me and OH die then kids go to my parents.. all funds go to the kids but they can't get hold of the money until they are 21.. the person overlooking these funds will be our close friend (who is very savvy with money) and he is also our executor... he will release monies to my parents for kids upbringing.. and he can release the monies to the kids before they are 21 should they ask him and he thinks it is acceptable (he is a sensible man)...

If me OH and kids all die together (or within 30 minutes of each other) then all our funds are split 50:50 between my immediate family (mum, dad, bro) and his immediate family (mum, his brothers, his sisters).. again our close friend will overlook the split... no family involved with our money.. not because of anything nasty, its just our close friend is a clever and honest man who will know what to do.. our families wouldn't have a clue..

Em x
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you both. Its so hard to know what to do. The kids arent "his", and we arent married, so I need to find a way of protecting them and making sure he is rewarded(!) for being with me all these years

donna
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Ah ok.. i read it as a different scenario ie. you were the male with kids with an ex and a new female partner LOL

Lots of things to consider!!!! I would prob just splash out the cash or shop around for a cheaper lawyer to make sure it is all sorted correctly.